• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Completely washed out backlit panels

Alot of times when I am doing a job like this and overprinting the inks I will lighten the colors in the file to compensate for the extra ink it is laying down. Sometimes the prints come out too dark. Just something else to keep in mind when you are redoing this.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
When I have to digitally print graphics for backlit faces, I print the image on a translucent vinyl and apply it to the front of the panel. Then, print another copy on clear vinyl (the image gets mirrored/reversed), and apply it to the back of the panel. It's important to align/register the two prints. If they are off, the image will look a bit fuzzy at night when the lights are on.

I think you'd be happy with the results if you leave the clear print on the backside (the one that you already applied), and then add another print (on translucent vinyl) to the front of the panel.

Good luck. Show us the difference when you're done.

unclebun

I would not recommend double printing the top (visible) print. The colors will actually be too dark in daylight. If you needed to add density because of too-bright lighting on the inside, you'd add it to the non-visible print.

MikePro

pretty much everything was done wrong with this already, don't do it wrong again by double-striking your ink.

Andy D

Best way to do these is two prints. Print once on clear, apply that directly to the plastic. Print the exact same file on translucent white vinyl and laminate with UV clear. .
THIS
His lights are too bright,
THIS

Might be a silly question; who took the picture?
As a printer/sign maker & former photographer, I can tell you there is no way a print that looks okay during the day would show up completely white at
night. Have you seen the signs yourself? There's something fishy about that picture.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
THIS

THIS

Might be a silly question; who took the picture?
As a printer/sign maker & former photographer, I can tell you there is no way a print that looks okay during the day would show up completely white at
night. Have you seen the signs yourself? There's something fishy about that picture.

Agreed. I tried to do filters on that picture and it doesn't pick up an image at all. Maybe the sign was made with white letters on white background.

Lance

How about a sheet of white corflute directly behind the clear panel as a difuser ?
Slide a piece in and see how it looks ?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Open the cabinet and see if there is space to install a diffuser panel in front of the LEDs to bring them down a little.
If you can't do that add a layer of 3M 7725 or 7125 white vinyl on the back of the prints. The glue is clear and will pass light but will dim the LEDs a good more than trans white. Does not have to be 3M, can be any vinyl with clear glue. Best to stick with a cast film. I've used it as a backer for fuel branding in combo with translucent red punched out through the white to keep the letters bright with the background not so intense.
I was searching for this very topic, like your suggestion. Do you think a translucent white would work enough for this application? How much light would you say the 7725 white will diffuse?

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Spray the white background like I did for 30 some years... always works.
Do they even make spray paint for sign faces any more?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Spray the white background like I did for 30 some years... always works.
Do they even make spray paint for sign faces any more?
Paint? Nah. I would rather lay one layer of vinyl over the back of a panel than try to get a consistent paint spray.