• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Composer 4.0 + USB to serial/parallel cables + Windows 10 = possible?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I recently had the bright idea to upgrade our old computer that basically only drives our Edge 2, HS15+ and Summa D120 machines. Old machine was Win7 and we were running all usb cables for everything and it worked.

Tried to install the plotters and edge2 this morning on new (Windows 10) computer and not having much luck. Got the HS15+ installed w/ USB to serial cable but no dice on Edge2 or Summa D120. Called our dealer to see if someone could walk me through it and/or remote in and just do it for me and their answer is that this can't be done with Composer 4.0 and we have no choice but to upgrade to 7.0 if we want it to work.

Does this make any sense?? I've been running 4.0 design only version on that same (Windows 10) computer for 5ish years with no issue.

Is it specifically trying to use usb to serial or parallel cables that is a no-go when using an older version of composer on Windows 10?

Hoping to find a way to make this work that doesn't involve dishing out $1500 to upgrade software that only needs to be used a couple of times a week. I couldn't care less about all the "new features" in 7.0

Attila Nagy

Yes, USB-Serial is easy most of the cables are ok, USB-Printer needs a special cable for the EDGE2. I am running Omega 2.6 already on Windows10.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yes, USB-Serial is easy most of the cables are ok, USB-Printer needs a special cable for the EDGE2. I am running Omega 2.6 already on Windows10.

Thanks, we are using the Gerber USB to parallel cable already. So this should technically still work? Do you remember if you had to mess with a lot of driver settings?

Attila Nagy

there are 2 parallel cables for edge2. the new one only supported after Omega4, the old one hard to find, but I think still supported. Omega 2.6. Installed the color profile files to wrong folder, but could move them to the right place in Windows10. I may had issues with the dongle driver. for now I use HP 8560p i7 laptop with serial port and ECP parallel port on it's docking station.

netsol

Attila,
wouldn't it be easier to just go to ebay and get a netgear or old dlink parallel port print server and be done with it?
serial we make our own problems , the usb end is a plug & play device / the serial end is as dumb as a box of rocks, you still need to know how to make the settings and match the settings in the plotter control panel

netsol

I have many, but Omega 2.6 cannot give me the network option for the EDGE2. They work with Flexi .
you can't make the port ANYTHING you want?
(you can tell we run flexi!)

i am pretty sure you can do legacy "capture" commands.

we have a couple omega computers. i will have to try

SignTDF

I recently had the bright idea to upgrade our old computer that basically only drives our Edge 2, HS15+ and Summa D120 machines. Old machine was Win7 and we were running all usb cables for everything and it worked.

Tried to install the plotters and edge2 this morning on new (Windows 10) computer and not having much luck. Got the HS15+ installed w/ USB to serial cable but no dice on Edge2 or Summa D120. Called our dealer to see if someone could walk me through it and/or remote in and just do it for me and their answer is that this can't be done with Composer 4.0 and we have no choice but to upgrade to 7.0 if we want it to work.

Does this make any sense?? I've been running 4.0 design only version on that same (Windows 10) computer for 5ish years with no issue.

Is it specifically trying to use usb to serial or parallel cables that is a no-go when using an older version of composer on Windows 10?

Hoping to find a way to make this work that doesn't involve dishing out $1500 to upgrade software that only needs to be used a couple of times a week. I couldn't care less about all the "new features" in 7.0
Is the problem solved?
I had the same problem and it cost me US 300 to solve.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Is the problem solved?
I had the same problem and it cost me US 300 to solve.

Not yet, I switched back to our old Win7 computer so we could be operational while I try to find a solution.

I'm leaning towards just updating the damn thing to Omega 7.0 and being done with it. $800 hit then we should be good until all our Gerber equipment dies.

SignTDF

The problem with me was that the software couldn't find the dongle and I could only install it as a demo. I spent about $300 for this. Without result.
Finally I find someone who got into my PC and solved the problem quickly.

netsol

Omega does not let you use Multi mode PCIe parallel cards. Needs to be native ECP port for EDGE2.
attila,
you have me curious
over the weekend, i will hook up my edge 2 to a parallel port expansion card.
do you think this is a limitation in the composer software?

Attila Nagy

Yes. this is how gerber sells the £1 cable for £160. The limitation is in omega for EDGE2. Edge1 works with most of the cables. Flexi can print with any cables as well to EDGE2. I have not tested the printserver with Omega 4 yet. I only have Omega 2.6 at home, And EDGE1 where I have Omega4.