• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer Quandary ...

cgsigns_jamie

So my salesman brings in his computer and tells me it doesn't work, the screen just goes black when Windows loads. I tell him I'll take a look. I figure I just need to install a new video driver, should be simple...

Well this is where the quandary comes in. When I start the computer I hold down the F8 key so I can start into Safe Mode, but when the screen pops up for me to select safe mode it's just a bunch of random letters, like it's a different language or something.

Now I know that the first option is Safe Mode so I'm able to select it and boot into Windows but I was wondering if anyone knew what would cause this jumbled mess of letters???

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 159

cOrKinSA

Had the same problem a--long long time ago but it was ace of spades, clubs, happy faces,etc... and you can bet what it was. A virus. I ended up taking it into a computer geek store and they did a system boot off another computer. I wouldn't try it using your though!

IF you are not needing any of the files on the hard drive. Your best bet would be to format the hard drive and reinstall the O/S and have a fresh start :)

cgsigns_jamie

If anyone know what this virus is and if there are any removal instructions I would like to just remove the virus.

I agree with Techman, usually you can fix it without having to reinstall Windows.

However if I can't figure out what this virus is it would take less time to reinstall then spend all day searching for a solution. The good news is I was able to boot into safe mode and copy his documents to a CD.

trakers

The answer is format and reinstall because many of the threats today intertwine themselves so deeply into the guts of Windows that when you try to extricate them you pull out some of Windows guts as well.

While it is certainly possible to remove viruses, malware, spyware, adware and scumware in the long run the best bet it is to format and reinstall. Doing that, you then know exactly where you stand. Once a machine has been comprised, you simply cannot trust it ever again.

The best advice you will ever get it is to do some fundamental tasks when you get a new machine or reformat a machine.

1) If it is a single drive machine, partition the main drive into a C: and also a D: drive. We usually give C: 50Gb of space and D: the balance.

C: is used only for Windows and program installs. All other user data is stored on D:

In the likely event Windows needs to be reinstalled in the future all your data is safely stored on D:, so you can nuke C: and easily reinstall Windows and your programs.

2) Go here and buy this:
http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details.asp?productID=4153

It will be the best $55 you ever spent.

Get your newly setup machine ready to use then install Ghost and make a drive image. Every week or so make an updated image. In the event something happens to Windows again, you can have your machine back to exactly how it was before in 5 minutes.

Ken

Hi Jamie.
Please let us know what the virus was and how it came to reside on the computer.
Thanks.
Ken

cgsigns_jamie

I don't know what the virus is, and I don't know how it got on the computer.

I asked him if he had installed any recent programs or updates and all he said was his wife got a message to update Norton Anti Virus last week.

That's why I posted this hoping someone out there would have experience with this and would know what the virus is.

I think I'll be reinstalling windows once he finds the recovery disk that came with his computer.

activitydude

Why is it the answer is format and install?

The question was :Well this is where the quandary comes in. When I start the computer I hold down the F8 key so I can start into Safe Mode, but when the screen pops up for me to select safe mode it's just a bunch of random letters, like it's a different language or something."

IMHO it sounds like it could be a bios problem. Only because it happens before Windows even opens.

cgsigns_jamie

Actually that screen I mentioned is a part of windows, It's the "advanced boot menu" or something like that.. As far as I can tell the bios is okay.

Alphonse43

Try re-booting from a safe boot disc, and then try a decent anti-virus program like AVG.
If that doesn't fix it, format and re-install.
Alphonse43

SignBurst PCs

That is a new one for me...

- Once you get into Safe Mode, can you run an anti-virus scan?
- Is the text jumbled in the POST portion of the BIOS?
- How about in Safe Mode, anything abnormal there?

Before a clean install, I would probably attempt a "Repair" install and then a complete virus/malware scan.

- link (Microsoft)

Or you can Google "XP Repair Install" for more info on this procedure.

The screen that you are on is definitely a Windows (not BIOS) screen, but it does rely on the video card at this point. Bad video hardware is a possibility. A quick Google search found a similar issue in Aug '08 on a laptop, but no resolution.

cgsigns_jamie

Once I get into safe mode all is normal. I did run a virus scan and it came back clean. It was an updated version of Norton with latest definitions.

I assumed the only thing wrong was the video driver, maybe the hardware. Never expected a virus.

He told me he turned the computer on Wednesday morning then left it on for 2 days and when he came back on Friday the monitor was blank and wouldn't come on. He then restarted it and he had video until it got past the Windows loading screen, with the green progress bar, then it went black again. I assumed it was something wrong with the video driver. I didn't think the hardware was an issue since it had video all the up until windows loaded.

It's an HP Media Center PC so I went to HP's site and downloaded the video driver they have on their site and I'm going to load them when I get back to the office tomorrow morning. I just wanted to know if anyone knew why the text was all jumbled on the advanced boot menu. Now that people are telling me it looks like a virus I'm thinking of reinstalling windows.

ndemond

Jamie, my media center at home is doing the same thing. But it freezes at the window you posted and I can not do anything. Also has a jumble of letters. The media centers do have a recovery option on the first screen. It runs a PC recovery and makes the computer like it came out of the box. Not working on mine. I have recovery disks that are not recognized by the computer HP tells me I need to have something flashed?? It is going back to Best Buy tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Techman

The answer is format and reinstall because many of the threats today intertwine themselves so deeply into the guts of Windows that when you try to extricate them you pull out some of Windows guts as well.

format is almost never the answer..
Just remove the bad code. OR repair the registry. OR as mentioned above do a repair reinstall.

Boot menu problems are not virii in my experience. IT is a failure of some code.. So, I do not believe this is a virus at all. Ive observed this several times before. EAch had its own reason.