• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer type

victor bogdanov

The key is really lots of RAM, 32GB really
my photoshop is laughing

Capture.JPG

Stacey K

I like making signs
Lenovo has a good sale going on right now directly on their website. Does this mean I can add more RAM? I'm dumb when it comes to this.
1669152565025.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
Lenovo has a sale going on their website currently (my favorite brand, very good luck so far). I'm going to look tomorrow and report back if I find one I think might be OK to see if all the smart people agree.

gnubler

Where are you all getting your computer gear from? Direct from manufacturer, like Stacey mentioned? Saw Signburst mentioned in another thread. My last couple of laptops came from New Egg.

I'm not high-tech and need a system that's ready to go. No computer stores in my area, so I'll be ordering online.

victor bogdanov

Where are you all getting your computer gear from? Direct from manufacturer, like Stacey mentioned? Saw Signburst mentioned in another thread. My last couple of laptops came from New Egg.

I'm not high-tech and need a system that's ready to go. No computer stores in my area, so I'll be ordering online.
I have a microcenter nearby, they are hard to beat if you live by one. other than that newegg, B and H and amazon

Goatshaver

Lenovo has a good sale going on right now directly on their website. Does this mean I can add more RAM? I'm dumb when it comes to this.
View attachment 162705
Most likely yes, some models have soldered on ram and a free slot some are all use replaceable. You can check the support online for it and it might show you exactly how and where to do it on your laptop.
I've got a Lenovo P50, which I'm upgrading so I've been looking around and there are some good deals.

gnubler

Price shopping a new workstation based on the specs mentioned in this thread. Does a range of $1100-1300 sound about right for a new tower?

I see a bunch on Amazon that are "renewed" with a 90 day warranty. Has anyone had good luck with refurbs or should I stick with new?

victor bogdanov

Price shopping a new workstation based on the specs mentioned in this thread. Does a range of $1100-1300 sound about right for a new tower?

I see a bunch on Amazon that are "renewed" with a 90 day warranty. Has anyone had good luck with refurbs or should I stick with new?
That price will get you a decent computer.

Amazons lenient return policy makes for lots of returned items including computers. Can't sell the returns as new so they get passed off as refurbished, after checking hopefully

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I like Dell XPS. I got one off Amazon for $2200 because it was a return and normally sold for $2900. I've had it for almost a year and no problems, and I couldn't tell it was ever used.

gnubler

I've been looking at the Dell XPS as well. The savings between new and refurb would pay for the two monitors I also need to order.

Milo

Xicomputer.com / All of my computers came from them, and super fast. Configure the machine the way you want it.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Dell XPS desktop here, for my last three machines. If I didn't have good experiences with the brand and model, I guess I wouldn't be on my third iteration. Not running a RIP with it, as it's my home biz machine, but running everything else. I forget the specs but I beefed it up when configuring the order (beefed up but not maxed out). XPS 8950, most current i7 processor (as of a year or so ago), 64GB RAM, NVidia RTS 3080 video, 1TB SSD drive (plus a couple other internal drives). Was over $2K when it was all said and done, but it's great. Adobe IL and PS launch so fast, and power-hungry features like playing with IL 3D effects are damn-near instantaneous. Cold boots are equally amazingly fast. As close to the speed of "booting up" my old C64 as a Windows machine has ever gotten. Seconds instead of minutes. So I'd still recommend Dell, for whoever's looking.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...I was maxing out 64gig ram with large murals in photoshop...
at what physical size are you working in? And dpi? I'd never design solely in photoshop for anything. Design in a vector program and use photoshop elements but never just photoshop and for murals I wouldn't work at more than 150dpi. I've done 100's of vehicle wraps and wall murals using corel & photopaint at full scale & with various hi-res raster images and file size isn't usually over 300MB. Drives me nuts when I receive 1.5GB files from a 3rd party just to find out it's a simple layout but because it was designed all in photoshop at full scale and 300dpi.

victor bogdanov

at what physical size are you working in? And dpi? I'd never design solely in photoshop for anything. Design in a vector program and use photoshop elements but never just photoshop and for murals I wouldn't work at more than 150dpi. I've done 100's of vehicle wraps and wall murals using corel & photopaint at full scale & with various hi-res raster images and file size isn't usually over 300MB. Drives me nuts when I receive 1.5GB files from a 3rd party just to find out it's a simple layout but because it was designed all in photoshop at full scale and 300dpi.
120" H x 300"+ W at 150dpi is a common size I work with, the files themselves are usually under 3GB but when working on the files with dozens of layers, objects etc and resizing, the ram usage goes up significantly and then drops downs after the operation is performed. Biggest one I've worked on was about 120" x 1200" wide

myront

CorelDRAW is best
120" H x 300"+ W at 150dpi is a common size I work with, the files themselves are usually under 3GB but when working on the files with dozens of layers, objects etc and resizing, the ram usage goes up significantly and then drops downs after the operation is performed. Biggest one I've worked on was about 120" x 1200" wide
Corel RV wrap file, 732"" x 1,332" with loads of "doodle" raster elements. None of the working elements are over 60dpi. The final prints and or plots were sent at 150dpi. File size = 300MB

victor bogdanov

Corel RV wrap file, 732"" x 1,332" with loads of "doodle" raster elements. None of the working elements are over 60dpi. The final prints and or plots were sent at 150dpi. File size = 300MB
Mine are 100% raster, based on watercolor scans. You can see the paper texture etc. Anything less that 150dpi I can see a difference in the print quality of the fine details. Im sure I could optimize the files to save size but why when the computer can handle it

Capture.JPG

Last edited: