• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Condensation build up in indoor sign cabinet

signage

You're the electrician on this site. I'm sure you already know. So, perhaps you can enlighten the rest.

Gino you are the one that said "unless something is wired wrong" would cause this! so I'm asking you how would something wired wrong cause this? I'm not the electrician on this site, nor have I ever claimed to be!

To correct this issue all that needs to be done is keep a constant air flow between the window and the cabinet!

Last edited:

petrosgraphics

i have built a lot of interior cabinets.. always put (2) 2" vents 1 on each end, never
had a problem... most hang only inches from the windows... they are usually 7"-8" deep...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino you are the one that said "unless something is wired wrong" would cause this! so I'm asking you how would something wired wrong cause this? I'm not the electrician on this site, nor have I ever claimed to be!

To correct this issue all that needs to be done is keep a constant air flow between the window and the cabinet!

Read it again, signa.......

That is one of the many things I said could be the culprit among the posts I have in this thread so far. Nowhere did I say it was the only possibility to the OP's problem. I'm siding on the side of being cautious and finding the actual problem then just treating symptoms. Interior signs don't seat profusely as indicated, for no reason.

signage

When I sign cabinet is in a window and has warm air moving across it as the heating system runs, it warms the cabinet. Now when the heating system fan shuts down the cabinet retains more heat then the window glass. The temperature differential between the glass and the cabinet can and will cause condensation. The amount of this condensation will very by the relative humidity in the building.

You still haven't told me or anyone else how incorrect wiring would cause moisture! Also I did not see that you said to have a constant air movement between the glass and the cabinet!

Waiting on you answer how something being wired wrong would cause this!

Sorry to the OP for pirating your thread!

Gino I haveseen many thing in my life wire increectly. This has cause nuisance tripping, burnt/melted components, etc., but I have never seen moisture being caused by incorrect wiring. But I have seen moisture cause problems in electrical systems.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I sign cabinet is in a window and has warm air moving across it as the heating system runs, it warms the cabinet. Now when the heating system fan shuts down the cabinet retains more heat then the window glass. The temperature differential between the glass and the cabinet can and will cause condensation. The amount of this condensation will very by the relative humidity in the building.
No where has the OP mentioned the temperature in the room being so cold, that it leaves the cabinet so cold and nothing else in the room, so when the heat or cabinet is turned on, it makes the sign begin dripping water. I have seen that numerous times on the panes of glass of a window, but a window which is not insulated very well. The OP has already addressed that and it's not happening.

You still haven't told me or anyone else how incorrect wiring would cause moisture! Also I did not see that you said to have a constant air movement between the glass and the cabinet!
I never really narrowed it down to any one particular culprit, did I. It made mention of the fact that it could be one of several reasons for this to be happening. In fact, as someone else has mentioned, if this is a beauty parlor or some other reasonable fact simile, there could be your answer. No one has enough facts to completely diagnose this thing as being a problem from a heater vent of temperature inversion.

Waiting on you answer how something being wired wrong would cause this!

Sorry to the OP for pirating your thread!

This is not pirating if it helps solve his problem.

Gino I haveseen many thing in my life wire increectly. This has cause nuisance tripping, burnt/melted components, etc., but I have never seen moisture being caused by incorrect wiring. But I have seen moisture cause problems in electrical systems.

So, in your estimation, faulty wiring cannot cause an overload. So, if there is a bare wiring touching something or another wire, it cannot create heat ??
If the wrong gauge wire is used, it won't create a bad draw ??
If the cabinet is not connected to a dedicated line, it might create a bad draw ??

There are other things, too, but these should suffice for starters.

signage

So, in your estimation, faulty wiring cannot cause an overload. So, if there is a bare wiring touching something or another wire, it cannot create heat ??
What do you mean by overload?
Who wires a cabinet with bare wire?

If the wrong gauge wire is used, it won't create a bad draw ??
Not if it is larger!
Who wires sign cabinets with smaller than 14 ga?
What if the insulation isn't rated for the voltage, but the gauge is correct or larger, what will happen?

If the cabinet is not connected to a dedicated line, it might create a bad draw ??
What does a dedicated line have to do with this? I don't think it would cause a bad draw but could possibly trip the circuit.

There are other things, too, but these should suffice for starters.

You still haven't answered my question on "unless something is wired wrong" would cause this moisture?

Until you answer this I am done conversing with you.