• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering a D120 over GX-300 or CE5000-60

briankb

Premium Subscriber
So a few weeks ago I ordered a Graphtec Craft Robo it's actually nice and does a better job than I expected for a $230 cutter. It is very picky with registration on contour cuts but once you get the hang of it. It's work very nicely.

All of this has got my interest up and into getting a real cutter. After a few days of research and reading forums I've narrowed it down to the D120, GX-300, or CE5000-60.

I would really like feed back from any one that recently or currently owns a Summa SummaCut series cutter (D75,D120).

Specifically I'm interested in the build of the machine vs others in the same price range as the D120. How it tracks for longer runs of 3-6 feet. And how picky the opos registrations system is to use.

Any other helpful advice on the Summa D120 would also be appreciated.

Jackpine

CE5000-60, Ordway has great deals on them. A very good cutter for the money. It tracks as good as you line up the material. It has to be loaded square to the pinch rollers. The cut quality is as good as any.

Jim Doggett

Both are exceptional. Slight nod toward Summa if you're doing a lot of contour-cutting. Slight nod toward Graphtec on cut quality and through-put. But in the end, you'll love either one. Terrific cutters.

IMHO,

Jim

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for those replies! What about the FlexCut feature on Summa. I understand the Graphtec has something similar and it could be very useful for us to be able to contour cut a label and then also make perfs to pull them out.

Jim Doggett

Hi Brian,

TThey both do it: Summa=FlexCut; Graphtec=PerfCut. I think this is a feature where I'd also give the nod to Summa. They've done it longer, and the contour-cutting (OPOS) is superior, somewhat, to Graphtec's ARMS .. IMO.

Best,

Jim

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I did my homework and just looking at the specs side by side and brochures I was leaning towards the Summa. However the "street" price on the CE5000's are really messing with that decision.

One other question about cutting magnetics or really thick/layered materials.

Can the CE5000 series cut through or at least score the magnetic materials?

What about a laminated print with application tape on top of that?

It would be better for me to go with the best but if it costs twice as much.... at this point we are just getting into insourcing our sign work instead of always sending design customers to other printers and loosing out on that piece of the pie.

Jim Doggett

Postscript: I think if I were to sum it up, Graphtec is a fundamentally better and better-made vinyl cutter. However, Summa is a close second, and they were innovators of contour and flex cutting, making them better at those specific tasks.

But again, the differences are slight. Lexus (Summa) vs. Mercedes (Graphtec). Lexus is not quite a Mercedes but has more and better gadgets. Ditto on Summa v. Graphtec, I believe.

Best,

Jim

Jim Doggett

One other question about cutting magnetics or really thick/layered materials.

Can the CE5000 series cut through or at least score the magnetic materials?

What about a laminated print with application tape on top of that?

It would be better for me to go with the best but if it costs twice as much.... at this point we are just getting into insourcing our sign work instead of always sending design customers to other printers and loosing out on that piece of the pie.

Graphtec has a real price advantage. The high Euro value (~$1.40) is killing Summa price-wise.

Graphtec is better at thicker material ... again slightly.

Scoring magnetic is doable, but it eats up blades and you'll want to back it with premask to help defeat the magnetic hold. This is a sketchy task for any drum cutter. Flatbeds rule on this type of application ... but they're not cheap.

If contour cutting, sure they'll get through the tape/lam/vinyl, with the thick material blade and extra pressure. But you need to cut away the premask so the reg-marks show through.

I can't argue with the price factor. The products are too similar in quality and performance for there to be a big price delta. That's a problem for Summa, and not entirely their fault. Currency values are out of their control obviously.

Best,

Jim

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again. The rep I spoke to today from Summa was very good and knew his and the other products.

If someone is interested they have a D120 demo which is a good deal if you want a Summa. But even comparing the Summa D120 demo against the CE5000-120 demo it's enough for me to buy a decent sized Daige laminator which we also need... so I really have some thinking to do.

One thing that seemed to stand out with Summa is support. Is the support from Summa far superior to Graphtec?

Jim Doggett

In my opinion, Summma support is better. They're a direct dealer, for the most part. When the folks who make the machine also support it, they have a knowledge advantage.

Graphtec is a better-selling product inasmuch as they have a huge dealer network. But the support burden is passed onto the dealer and not all are as knowledgeable as the manufacturer, obviously.

But cutters don't really require much support. Printers, yeah. Cutters are far less complex and pretty well understood by all who sell them.