• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

constant pop up message about windows errors

TC49010

As of the other day, out of the blue I started getting these pop up windows :
top of box says : Messanger Service
Message from FROM to TO on 7/21/06 (current time displays)
STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEADIATE ATTENTION.

Windows has found 55 Critical System Errors.

To fix the errors please do the following:
1) Download Registry Update from : www.regfixit.com (each pop up points to different place)
2) install update
3)run update
4) reboot computer

FAILURE TO DO NOW MAY LEAD TO SYSTEM FAILURE

OK (box to press OK)

I keep just x-ing these out and have ran virus check, yahoo ant-spy, and Spybot search and destroy, and just now ran Super Anti spyware.

I rebooted and I have a bad boot.ini and the pop up window is still annoying the heck out of me. I have 2 pop up blockers running also. They do not stop these messages.
I am not going to click ok and I am not going to go to the sites it suggest, but I am at a loss as to what else I should try?

Any input would be great.. its driving me bonkers!

Thanks,
Trixie

Flame

I checked out that site. I would almost guarantee you it's a scam, and if it's getting past your pop up blockers it has to be one helluva one! I would e-mail Microsoft and see what they suggest. If I have problems, that's what I do.

Try to get ahold of a guy there by the name of Bill. I hear he can get the ball rolling fast.:thumb:

flexiezine

Virus may have been removed but start up script still being searched for during boot.... try this:

use regedit
and hit f3
search for system32.exe

If regedit finds it, edit it, erase the C:\WINDOWS\System32.System32.exe part and that might fix it. Reboot.

It sounds as if you have a TSR that starts when windows starts. It takes some trial and error, unless you KNOW what the startup files are but you will not hurt anything in the process.

For XP:
>> Run
Type: msconfig
>> Startup on far right
Look for anyhting that even resembles the name or has the letters "reg"
Deselect that box
>> OK
>> Reboot

If need be, deselect all, and reboot. None of your background stuff or even antivirus will run. Repeat the same procedure, enabling one or two boxes at a time, until you find which file it is is.

Use common sense - if you run an Epson printer, or you see Symantec, etc. etc. - yhey are not the cause.

Just a thought on how you may discover the cause.

gerald

Don't mess with regedit unless you really know what you are doing. This could cause you big, big trouble. This popup is mmost likley an advertisment to sell you the product. It is a type of advertisment that is initiated thru MSN messenger, or other instant messenger.

Be careful, many popup ads look like windows errors. They do tis to get you scared or to click on the OK button which takes you to their web site and sales pitch to cure your supposed "problem".

Go to Google, www.google.com and get their pop up blocker. Also, go to www.download.com and get "Adaware Personal". It's free. It will eliminate most spyware that triggers these ads. You need to run thia about once a week.

Hope this helps.

TC49010

flexiezine said:
Virus may have been removed but start up script still being searched for during boot.... try this:

use regedit
and hit f3
search for system32.exe

If regedit finds it, edit it, erase the C:\WINDOWS\System32.System32.exe part and that might fix it. Reboot.

I just did a search and my system has it on it :)

going to delete it and reboot

cross fingers that it fixes it!!

The windows are popping up now but not staying open... hope thats a good sign!

Thanks,
Trixie

TC49010

flexiezine said:

use regedit
and hit f3
search for system32.exe

Nope this didnt fix it.. but thanks for the input!!

Trixie

uneedasign

I had the same thing hapen about a month ago. It also takes over your home page. Even though your preferances are set to the home page you want, it still goes to regfix. I went on line and purchased regestry mechanic, spyware doctor and privacy guardian from pc tools. Not only did it fix the problem, but my computer is faster than new.

http://www.pctools.com/

TC49010

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
It sounds as if you have a TSR that starts when windows starts. It takes some trial and error, unless you KNOW what the startup files are but you will not hurt anything in the process.

For XP:
>> Run
Type: msconfig
>> Startup on far right
Look for anyhting that even resembles the name or has the letters "reg"
Deselect that box
>> OK
>> Reboot

If need be, deselect all, and reboot. None of your background stuff or even antivirus will run. Repeat the same procedure, enabling one or two boxes at a time, until you find which file it is is.

Use common sense - if you run an Epson printer, or you see Symantec, etc. etc. - yhey are not the cause.

Just a thought on how you may discover the cause.

I have done this and re-booted 5 times.. each time seems fine until I use internet explorer. Each time there is nothing loaded in my start up files.

This is Not fixing it.... Thanks for the input!!!

Trixie

Techman

send it to me,,
ill have it out in no time,,

each time seems fine until I use internet explorer
IE is the single biggest causes of malware invasions,,,Simply do not use it any more

TC49010

TC49010 said:
ok trying this now!
thanks!
Trixie

well now I am finding things that look more pop up re-lated!!

1)Trace.Registry.FunWebProducts
2)Trace.Registry.MyWebSearchToobar
3)Trace.Registry.MyWebSearchToobar

Registry traces are known references of Spyware/Adware which are stored in the Windows registry database. Traces may be autorun keys which make Spyware/Adware run automatically on Windows startup. Traces may also be registrations of Spyware/Adware DLL files which are registered to hijack the Windows Explorer or the web browser.

Deleted all 3, and will do a deep scan now and see what else it finds!!

Last night there was 5 found so far when I went to bed and left it running, but pc re-booted so had to start over! Time to hunt down the rest!

Trixie

TC49010

Techman said:
send it to me,,
ill have it out in no time,,

IE is the single biggest causes of malware invasions,,,Simply do not use it any more

I down loaded and installed netscape last night and it keep having error when I tried to use it:Oops:

As if dealing with the power dumbs wasnt bad enough , now I get this!!

I think it would be faster to just re-format!

Trixie

TC49010

TC49010 said:
well now I am finding things that look more pop up re-lated!!

1)Trace.Registry.FunWebProducts
2)Trace.Registry.MyWebSearchToobar
3)Trace.Registry.MyWebSearchToobar

Registry traces are known references of Spyware/Adware which are stored in the Windows registry database. Traces may be autorun keys which make Spyware/Adware run automatically on Windows startup. Traces may also be registrations of Spyware/Adware DLL files which are registered to hijack the Windows Explorer or the web browser.

Deleted all 3, and will do a deep scan now and see what else it finds!!

Last night there was 5 found so far when I went to bed and left it running, but pc re-booted so had to start over! Time to hunt down the rest!

Trixie

Found a total of 8... deleted all 8 and rebooted... with in seconds of being re-booted the pops are back in vast numbers.

I still have nothing loading with windows and removed windows messanger..

:help:

Rhinoz

It sounds like its using the windows messenger service. Please don't confuse this with msn messenger or any other type of Instant messenger. This one is built right into windows itself.

Try this:

To prevent the annoying messages from appearing, disable the Windows Messenger Service. To do this, click on Start, Run, type services.msc and hit Enter. Scroll down the list until you see the item named Messenger. Double-click Messenger, then click on Stop, and set the Startup type to Disabled. Reboot.

Techman

look in your "temp" folders there will be some junk in there that respawns those malwares... You may have a couple of those Temp folders. they labeled tmp or temp.. you can find them in windows directory, or a couple of other locatiuons,, doa search for them.
ALso, use firefox,, its considered one of the best now, Netscape lost its advantage when it was purchased by AOL hell.

Whit

Check my earlier post for a link
to disable windows messenger,,, easily !!!
I'm a simpleton on puters,, so that
made it possible without the fuss !!!

gerald

Download the adaware and reboot in safe mode after you install it. The rn adaware. If you don't reboot in safe mode the malware will return in just a few seconds. Virus removal tools and malware/spyware tools can't totally remove a running process. If you reboot in safe mode these processes don''t start, only the necessary things to run windows starts.

It's best to turn of "System Restore" as well. Just remember to turn it back on when finished. Windows doesn't allow anything deleted from the restore files. So, some folks put their evil sh%* there.