• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Consumable??

shawn_75

So the gas springs that hold the lid open on my Edge 2 have given up. Being an extended warranty type guy, I call and get told that these are consumables and will cost me $150 to replace. Am I crazy in thinking that these should NOT be considered consumables?

Shawn

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In my opinion no but, from experience of how often they need replacing, I can see where GSP might feel differently. Kind of like tires on a car. They're part of the total machine but still considered consumable.

I've learned to live with mine in the condition they're in and am just more careful when I lower the lid not to let it drop.

Bill Modzel

I got replacements at my local NAPA store for a bit over $20 each.
Unfortunately, I can't see any number label on them. Do a search here and on 4Edgetalk and you'll find the info needed.

If these are the same struts that are on the Edge LE, then you should be able to buy direct from the mfg. (Service Plus Distibutors, Bristol, PA.) or from your NAPA store. There is a part no. on the strut to designate the type and size. They are quite a bit cheaper than from Gerber.

Steve

B Snyder

Got mine at NAPA too. I only replaced one about 2 years ago and it hold the top up just fine.

Here are pics of the front and the back of the package it came in.

Attachments

• DSCN2351.JPG
    DSCN2351.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN2350.JPG
    DSCN2350.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 104

shawn_75

Thanks everyone

Are shock absorbers on your car consumables?

Well yes, but these are not shock absorbers that are being discussed, they are gas springs. Their function is to support the weight of the lid, not to provide a comfortable ride. The gas springs that hold the rear hatch on my car open are not consumable and are covered by warranty.

Thanks everyone for the info, I'll certainly check at NAPA for replacements.

:U Rock:

jiarby

My Universal Laser Engraver has the same things... just replaced them about 6 months ago! (under mfg warranty!)

Will check napa next time !

thirty6

Anybody got any idea how to fit them? Stripped the machine removed the old one but cannot get the new one to compress. Its the same size as the one that came off.

Any ideas??

RG

It's been a while, but I installed mine with the lid open. You need to take the plastic off the lid first. I put the bottom on first, then the top. I used a very large slotted screwdriver to get the top one it. Can't do that barehanded. I put the blade end of the screwdriver under something on the frame (the brass looking part). Then I made contact with the end of the spring 2 or 3 inches back from the blade end of the screwdriver and pushed down. When it lined up, I pushed it in. It will probably slip off a few times. Persistence pays off. Hope this helps some. And, yes, I bought my springs at NAPA.