• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Content aware photo stretching

signmeup

I don't really know what use this has but is sure is cool. I took a photo and stretched it without distorting the round sign in the middle. Done with very little effort at all in Xara Xtreme5. Might be useful to the wrap guys. This is the first time I've heard of this....is it a common function in other software?

Attachments

• ContentAware.jpg
    ContentAware.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 136

MachServTech

I don't really know what use this has but is sure is cool. I took a photo and stretched it without distorting the round sign in the middle. Done with very little effort at all in Xara Xtreme5. Might be useful to the wrap guys. This is the first time I've heard of this....is it a common function in other software?

This can be done in PS with a couple of steps, but its handy to know xara can do this in one step.

signmeup

It took 2 steps...I had to mask the circle, then stretch it. The number of steps can be misleading....I had to start the computer, open the program, find the image.....you get the idea. But it was the first time I did the procedure and I found it very intuitive and easy.

signmeup

Please excuse the Xara posts....I'm like a kid with a cool new toy. The novelty should wear off soon.:biggrin:

signmeup

Freds way doesn't actually work as near as I can tell. You would have to remove the sign from the photo, then do that.

Here's another example.

Attachments

• compshackSm.jpg
    compshackSm.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 125

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Wouldn't that also stretch the logo that's still on the background layer so it peeked out the sides of the front layer with just the logo?

No because i would cut the logo to its own layer. What would then be needed is to rubber stamp in the background where the sign covers it.

Here's a quick and dirty to show the approach using Photoshop.

Attachments

• stretch.jpg
    stretch.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 126

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Signmeup is right. It can be done in photoshop, but not as seamless as this other program seems to be.

It would be seamless if one was starting with a photo of the background and a separate logo ... which I suspect is how the Xara version started out.

signmeup

No because i would cut the logo to its own layer. What would then be needed is to rubber stamp in the background where the sign covers it.
That would take me quite a while to do as good a job in Photoshop. I just thought it was cool that you could do it virtually at the click of a button in 30 seconds in Xara.

signmeup

It would be seamless if one was starting with a photo of the background and a separate logo ... which I suspect is how the Xara version started out.
Really?......send me a similar photo that would be suitable to the task and I'll send it back wider.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That would take me quite a while to do as good a job in Photoshop. I just thought it was cool that you could do it virtually at the click of a button in 30 seconds in Xara.

I question whether you actually can if you are starting with a single flattened image in Xara of the logo on the background. As long as the photo background is available separately, so it resides on its own layer, it is quick and easy to stretch the background layer in Photoshop without it affecting the logo.

signmeup

I question whether you actually can if you are starting with a single flattened image in Xara of the logo on the background. As long as the photo background is available separately, so it resides on its own layer, it is quick and easy to stretch the background layer in Photoshop without it affecting the logo.
That's two photos your way Fred. I did it with one flattened image. Send me a similar photo....

RJ California

It looks to me like it stretches the outside areas that you choose while leaving the selected area unstretched, even with a flattened image -- very cool!

RJ California

It looks to me like it stretches the outside areas that you choose while leaving the selected area unstretched, even with a flattened image -- very cool!
This would be a great filter or tool if available in PhotoShop -- Is Xara 5 a stand alone or does it work with PhotoShop?