• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contests to get work.

Techman

I am reading posts on another forum supported by a supplier in another industry. The supplier called for photos to be used for their marketing.

A number of people responded with one photo selected as the winner.
The winning photo will be used for the cover of their new catalog and will use the photo as inspiration and render it as a painting for use by the company. The entire package will be used for marketing their products for the next few years.

The photographer got a zero for compensation. He did it because he will get some "exposure" for his work.

I think he was ripped off to the max.
What do we the users of this forum think of this concept of giving away our work just to get some "exposure"?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The problem i have is contests which go to the lowest bidder. If you do something for $25, someone will do it for $24, and then outbid again for $23, and so on. You rarely win when competing because in this case someone will be willing to do the $25 job for $1 because they want the "exposure"

If you know from the beginning you won't be compensated then at least you aren't being beaten up on price

Not too much different then when someone comes on here and posts their logo design and 20 people respond by providing free design work by posting their ideas