• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour cut issue with Roland XC-540

advisionsigns

I'm having a strange issue with my contour cuts that started occurring about 4 months into my first blades life. The blade cuts fine normally but on any corner greater than 90 degrees its seems to have trouble turning and bunches up the material then hops a good quarter inch then resumes cutting as usual. I've put in a new blade and I lubed it like I do on my plotter. That didn't help but it didn't hurt either.

I've got some photos that show the problem and the direction of the blades path.

Thanks for any help,
Sam

Attachments

• bad cut1.jpg
    bad cut1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 174
  • bad cut2.jpg
    bad cut2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 134

B-RAD Graphics

I'm having a strange issue with my contour cuts that started occurring about 4 months into my first blades life. The blade cuts fine normally but on any corner greater than 90 degrees its seems to have trouble turning and bunches up the material then hops a good quarter inch then resumes cutting as usual. I've put in a new blade and I lubed it like I do on my plotter. That didn't help but it didn't hurt either.

I've got some photos that show the problem and the direction of the blades path.

Thanks for any help,
Sam
I have the same problem..but it always has done it..I heard different degree balde maybe 60..think they come with 45

what I have noticed is it much worse with 3mcontrol tac..because it not bonded to backing paper very well with air realease

advisionsigns

Yes they come with and I'm still using a 45 degree I'll try a 60 and see. Disheartening to hear it may just be like that. Only thing I print is control tac. The boss won't like that news at all if it comes down to that :(

It is true though the 3m stuff almost feels like it cant wait to get off the backing paper sometimes. Especially once masked.

advisionsigns

Quick update: the 60 degree blade solved the problem. been using it a few weeks now and it cuts those tight corners like a dream.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes cutting sharp angles like that and it jumping is because the vinyl is still somewhat wet or gooey and the knife just gets caught in it and needs a small distance to un-derail itself.

Also, slowing the cut speed down will help.

graphixlee

If the 60 degree blade solved it that's great. If it did you must have changed the offset to .5 instead of .25
Some users say they have to turn the heat off and let the machine cool down before cutting ControlTac because it is so soft and pliable.

watch the preesure of the cut if the blade passes through the vinyl then attempts to cut the backing this will cause the blade to skip or will hit the metal running strip beow the backing and damage the blade

advisionsigns

Wow thanks everyone for the replies :D

The cutting strip is fine I've never gone through backing and the machine is pretty new so there's no visible wear from just daily use yet.

About cutting while its hot... the machine heats up to cut. That was my first idea as to why this was happening so I asked the tech that my distributor assigned me if I could disable that and I could hear the shoulder shrug over the phone. So I figured it was just the way it works. If there's a setting for that that I'm missing I'd love to know it.

When I put in the 60 degree the only setting i had to adjust was the force. I did the test cuts and it cut perfect so I didn't wanna fiddle with anything else for fear of messing it up. If there's something I should know about that again I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Sticky Signs

You have 2 options for heat. 1 - turn the heat off on the printer but you have to remember to turn it back on when you print. 2 - you can turn the heat off in Versaworks. Only do this if you print first and plan to cut later.
You should also change the blade off-set on the printer. I can't remember the actual numbers but it's something like 0.025 for 45º and 0.035 for 60º blade. Your tech should be able to tell you what to use.

synergy_jim

one more thing...... if you buy Roland's carbide blades, which are a little pricey, they last a really long time. I buy 5 packs of the 60 degree blades and we cut 90% of our vinyl, weather its laminated or just regular cut vinyl, with them.

will61

Hi, i'm having the exact issue but with a twist... I got a Carbide 45d blade its like 3 weeks old and i havent done that many jobs. The job came out the same as advisionsigns. I have printed this exact job out and i had no issues, so i started to look around and i have no cut groves on my protective strip and my carbide bit tip is now rounded. I don't have any signs of it colliding with anything so i'm a little stumped on how my blade got damaged... Took a quick look at the bearings and i can't seem to find any issues.

Equipment is VP300i

Media Mactac GV529BFD
Laminant Mactac CG8054

Normal Cutting with Laminant 90Grams ( today i tried 120-140 with little results)
Media only 35Grams

Heat on ( never had issues before )

I'm going to go get a new Blade and i hope it helps but dare i ask whats better to use at all times? 45 or 60 ? How do i know im getting quality blades and not some knock off, seems this blades life was way less than my last purchase 6months vs 3 weeks and not even close to 6months of cutting...

Thoughts? I'm still fairly green so i'm wondering if to many sharp angled cuts is a bad thing when i design? I do graphics for RC Vehicles mainly so my machine doesn't run everyday or all day long.

What's the going rate for blades and how do i tell the difference on quality of the blade?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Will M.

Attachments

• IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 118

Baz

one more thing...... if you buy Roland's carbide blades, which are a little pricey, they last a really long time. I buy 5 packs of the 60 degree blades and we cut 90% of our vinyl, weather its laminated or just regular cut vinyl, with them.

That's what i buy also. The 60 degree blades work great in the printer. The problem with cutting with the heat on though is you risk damaging the cutting strip allot easyer than if you were cutting on it cold. If in a rush i have cut with the heat on at a much reduced force but i do try and avoid doing that.