• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cutting Heat Transfer Material

So I've ventured into the printable heat transfer material world. My Grimco rep recommended Specialty Materials 2160, so I ordered that and the first print on it with my L25500 turned out awesome. Then I loaded it in my cutter and everything went downhill quickly. It almost looked like I set it to cut a perf contour. I tried different speeds and pressures and nothing worked. I have a new blade ordered, but is there something else I'm missing here? The cutter is a Mutoh SC-850D.

Dizimoto

I have that cutter.. I don't have any trouble with the quality on heat transfer material - prob just need a new blade. The problems I usually get with the Mutoh is when it decides not to read the reg marks (bad epos)

Mike_Koval

im leaning towards the blade as well. this is on the thinner side plus it has some stretch to it so a fresh blade will do wonders for you.

Vinyldog

The printable material is somewhat leathery. Not easy to cut like the reverse-cut Thermoflex. But seems you could just watch the blade as it's cutting and see what's going on?
I've done contour-cut around the design with the printable material with no issues, but the SP5040V does seem to cut tough materials easier than smaller cutters. I think a lower cut-speed might help. I've also cut text, 2in lettering for a shirt from the printable and it developed a wrinkled appearance over time, but it took a long time. Like years.

This blade has quite a few miles on it, and most of those miles were cutting reflective. So Im hoping that's the issue. I ordered a "Clean Cut" blade, they have been great in my Gerber plotters so I'm going to give it try.

SignEx

We use the material on our versacamm, Seems like it contour cuts better when all heat is turned off and platen is cool,

Bill Modzel

I keep a new blade just for this material. It's like a thin film of rubber and if the blade is not super sharp is will "pile up" a micro sized chunk and jump over it. You can hear it like a small zipper noise as it's cutting.
New blade and as light of pressure as possible. I've printed and cut some very detailed transfers on this stuff.