• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting A VJ 628 to a VJ 628D

lkt1954

Mutoh has launched a VJ-628D printer for DTF printing and I have a spare Virtuoso VJ-628 we have been using for sublimation. This printer has Sawgrass firmware installed on it and we use the VJ program along with Wasatch software to run it.

According to all parties involved, they say this cannot be done: Mutoh says it is and OEM model, Sawgrass says the firmware cannot be removed, Wasatch has no software to use and STS inks (which the new VJ-628D) comes with says it cannot be done. The one bright spot is that SAI Flexi 22 software has a DTF program.

The new VJ 628D uses a DX7 print head. With that said I would think with changing the printhead and getting software to run DTF this should work, much like Epson printers being converted to DTF printing.

My question is something like this doable? I would rather spend a few thousand dollars to convert-rather than $ 9000.00 for a new machine.

Thanks

I think it would be possible, but I would be worried about the ink system only being gravity/capping station fed. The valuejet has no air assist to feed the ink to the heads :( (Epson P6000 would be the better choice.)

netsol

either you replace the ic chip on the formatter board (or whatever they call it) that the firmware is written to

OR

you find a used formatter board to replace the one in the other machine

if it is a question of heaters, (and functionality) you can add a "hotbox" like we did with our solvent inkjet conversions in the old days

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, I’m in the same boat and been trying to figure this out off and and for a while. Every time I search I find more rips that support the vj628 (cadlink does now too) but it does seem to need a firmware update and I wonder about ink agitation. If you get the bulk ink system from sts at least that places the ink bags above the print head but I’m wondering if we’re going to end up just trying to sell the vj628 cheap and get a new dedicated dtf system

netsol

Hi, I’m in the same boat and been trying to figure this out off and and for a while. Every time I search I find more rips that support the vj628 (cadlink does now too) but it does seem to need a firmware update and I wonder about ink agitation. If you get the bulk ink system from sts at least that places the ink bags above the print head but I’m wondering if we’re going to end up just trying to sell the vj628 cheap and get a new dedicated dtf system
i seem to constantly get myself involved in one sort of conversion project or amother

sometimes it turns into more of a problem than you anticipate. it is probably easier to trade up to the correct machine. the manufacturer PROBABLY did a better job of designing the modifications than you will. i generally do this because i have a "better idea" about some of the features,

sometimes i am right & sometimes i waste a lot of time

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can't even change the firmware of one Mutoh model to another let alone another manufacturer's firmware back to a Mutoh unfortunately. As mentioned above, your best bet is finding a used board for sale and doing it that way.

Craig Keller

Any suggestion on the DTF printers and shackers? I would like to get a chinese shacker off Amazon or ebay then find a printer. Any suggestions?

BVGoods

I went through the same information-gathering process and from what I've been able to gather you'd need to replace the factory board with the STS one (which they won't sell), anything that touches ink, and update the software (the STS machine uses FlexiDTF I believe). I didn't look into ink agitation at all, mostly because everyone I talked to stonewalled me.

It would be nice to have the option of keeping these old chasis out of the scrap pile, but I guess it's not something any of these companies are interested in doing.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
same here… anyone want to buy a super cheap 628 dye sub…

I’m probably buying a dual i3200 head 14” or 24” from hanrun paper in China. Thinking of the 14” first and then in half a year or so when the tech seems to calm down we’ll get a 24”. Hoping to order next month. Luckily I’m right next to a port and we already ship in all the time so it should be easy.