• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting Outlines to Object

LUV DEM TIGERS

I am using Coreldraw 2017 (I have a newer version but I like this one better) and I have a complex logo that someone sent to me that has a lot of "outlines" or stroke added to objects and I am needing to resize it a pretty good amount. Is there an easy way to "Convert Outlines to Object" without having to click on every single piece and see if it is an outline and then click on "Arrange" and then "Convert Outline to Object"? I am 5 minutes in and still not even close to checking on the pieces.

Ronny Axelsson

It should be possible to (at least in later versions, don't remember 2017) select all objects, then open the Outline Pen dialog (F12) and check "Scale with object".
Click OK without changing anything else in the dialog.
This should, at least in theory (doesn't work on powerclipped object for example), make all outlines scale properly and you do not need to convert the outlines to objects.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It should be possible to (at least in later versions, don't remember 2017) select all objects, then open the Outline Pen dialog (F12) and check "Scale with object".
Click OK without changing anything else in the dialog.
This should, at least in theory (doesn't work on powerclipped object for example), make all outlines scale properly and you do not need to convert the outlines to objects.

I'll never understand why that is even an option - is there EVER a scenario where you wouldn't want to scale outlines when reducing/increasing the size of objects?

<end rant>

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I'll never understand why that is even an option - is there EVER a scenario where you wouldn't want to scale outlines when reducing/increasing the size of objects?

<end rant>
Here's where scale to object becomes problematic. Draw a rectangle with a "fat" outline and with scale to object on, now stretch or resize just the width of the rectangle. Notice how the outline doesn't stay consistent. That's why a macro was created to do a quick fix.
1669902595058.png

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Test this macro. Make sure you have everything saved first. I ran this with a few objects selected and it was fine but on 1000 objects it crashed on me.

Sub ConvertAllShapesToObject()
Dim s As Shape, sr As ShapeRange
ActiveDocument.BeginCommandGroup "ConvertAllShapesToObject"
Optimization = True
Set sr = ActiveSelectionRange

For Each s In sr

s.Outline.ConvertToObject

Next s
Optimization = False
Application.Refresh
ActiveDocument.EndCommandGroup
End Sub

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

<end rant>
In illustrator I do this all the time. Let's say you have a certain shape that you create once and you then copy/paste/resize that object on the page. As you resize the shape you want the stroke width to remain the same for each object instead of the outline getting thicker or thinner every time you resize it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.52.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.52.50 PM.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 86

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It does not have to be the same object. When I create something on a page and i want all the shapes to have the same stroke width I can create and then scale the object without the stroke width changing everytime I size it up or down

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I am using Coreldraw 2017 (I have a newer version but I like this one better) and I have a complex logo that someone sent to me that has a lot of "outlines" or stroke added to objects and I am needing to resize it a pretty good amount. Is there an easy way to "Convert Outlines to Object" without having to click on every single piece and see if it is an outline and then click on "Arrange" and then "Convert Outline to Object"? I am 5 minutes in and still not even close to checking on the pieces.
Back to this OP. What you are describing, if for print only, can be solved by selecting all then double click the outline "color well" then put a check on "Scale with object", as others have mentioned here. Just don't stretch or squish the shapes or you'll distort those outlines. You can "scale" anyway you want.
If, however, you need to plot/cut whereby requiring the creation of a cut line, all those outlines will need to be converted to object. We call it "cut ready" art. If we receive vector art that isn't cut ready we charge extra.
The macro I provided will do this.