• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel 12 Sizing width of font in inches

KPC

Hello,

I'm trying to resize text to an exact width in inches.

Say I take the word "Corel"

I want the Corel word to be 120" wide. I don't care what the size is in height, just as long as the ratio stays correct.

How is this done.

Thanks.

Shovelhead

Open your property bar!!!!
tools/options/customization/command bars

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 142

KPC

Shovelhead,

the property bar is selected and working for everything except for text.

See, the 2 boxes (height and width adjustment in inches) and padlock are visible and work just fine when resizing an image.

But when I try to resize just text, only the font size drop down menu is on the property bar.

I believe something is just un-checked. I need to figure out what I need to check in order for the 2 boxes and padlock to show up when I have text highlighted.

KPC

Yes, but that is only a workaround. What is the right way to get the 2 boxes to show up.

The only reason I say that is because I can't change words once converted.

In your hosted picture, it shows the height/width, padlock, font, font size (in pt.)

Mine only shows font & font size.

Checkers

This is a situation where font quality comes into play. Some fonts may not scale or read their actual size.
Anyway, here's another option under your "Object Properties" docker...

Checkers

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 121

KPC

Checkers, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks for the reply. <o:p></o:p>
I was able to find where I can select font height as you provided but that isn't what I'm trying to accomplish. <o:p></o:p>
I need to be able to diagonally stretch a word to get an exact width while keeping the height ratio correct. <o:p></o:p>
Or better than trying to hand stretch the word, I need to be able to lock the padlock and enter 120" in the width box and it immediately stretches the font to exactly 120". <o:p></o:p>
Now, I know that I could stretch the font diagonally and watch the real time readout in the bottom left corner of the Corel screen, and get it close to 120", but it is hard to stretch a 10' word to 0.001" <o:p></o:p>
It is much easier to just type in 120" and let the software do the dirty work. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

KPC

Ultimately, I'm just trying to get my screen to look like Shovelhead's where it has (in order from left to right) the two boxes (height & width), then the padlock, then the drop down menu for font, then the drop down menu for font size.

On my screen, from left to right, it has the drop down menu with Default Artistic Text then the drop down menu for font, then the drop down menu for font size.

See, it is missing the two boxes and the padlock. Which is exactly what I need. It makes sense that it is just an option that isn't selected. However, I've been all through the program and can't find the box that needs the simple check mark.

Any ideas?

KPC

I don't recall being able to do that in 12 with text still in text mode.

But it is showing up perfectly on your screen.

if I convert to curves, then the drop down menu for the font and font size goes away.

So even if your screen has the font converted to curves, it still allows you to change font because you have the drop down menu.

Checkers

Perhaps, just right mouse click in the tool bar area and make sure "Transform" is checked. That should give you what you need.

Checkers

2NinerNiner2

KPC -

Tools>Options>Customization>Command Bars and check 'Transform' ... but...

...don't jump for joy just yet :)

I have had this 'catch' me on more than one occasion by changing the size of the text in this manner. Be advised, you are resizing the text's 'Bounding Box'!!! Try it ... in your 'COREL' example, set the text width to, say, 6"...hey, look at that :) ...but wait...now create a 'rectangle' and size the width to 6"...now line them up :) :) ... close, but no cigar! :) In your 120" example, the 'COREL' is 1.761" narrower than the rectangle :)

Cheers!
Lyle

Last edited:

KPC

Lyle, that is a good point.. However it seems as though there are several factors, such as the style of font and also which letter of the Alphabet is used on the first and last letter of the word.

You are correct using the word "Corel" where the letter L does not sitting flush against the bounding box.

But if you use the word "WAY" you'll see that the left side of the W sits flush with the left bounding box and the right side of the Y sits flush with the right bounding box.

I'm far from an expert, but it seems as though this is correct.