• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel & CoCut

MAB SIGNS

Is cutting from Corel 12 with CoCut a flawless effort? Anything to watch out for? Who has the best deal on CoCut?

jimdes

Remember Forest Gump's quote "Stupid is as stupid does"? Well you can apply it to ANY software package, so no Virginia, there is no Santa Claus, and no MAB, CoCut is not flawless (although it sure takes 99.99% of the guesswork out of it).

CoCut is a pretty decent program and for the money (about three 10 yard rolls of premium vinyl) you'll save money in the long run, especially if you are prone to making mistakes.

I don't know if you are currently cutting directly from Corel or not, but IT CAN BE DONE! And I do it whenever I use my POSP. If I am correct, I beleive OP cuts directly from Corel as well. All you need is a good HPGL driver to run your plotter, usually included on your driver disc, or downloadable online.

Cutting directly from Corel takes a little practice at first but once you understand the orientation and such, it's fairly easy.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Techman seems to know alot about CoCut and may be able to offer you some more insight on what quirks or problems it has. I have seen quite a few post from him recommending it.

Techman

Ive used cocut since version 9.
The very first time i tried cutting it flaged an error in my file. Saved me from wasting vinyl. It is so easy that my 7 yr old boy was making decals for him and his little buddies.

This is a plugin for corel (and a few other programs) that works eactly as it should. Is there a learning curve? yes,, How steep? about as long as it takes to read through the manual.

I now use version 13 (X3). The updates were free through version 12. Then I paid $199 for 12 and 13 was FREE again. What more could I ask for?

Cocut pro has features that I don't use. It is more than just a little old driver. It will do INLINEs that most other programs do not even consider. All I can say is get the FREE demo good for 30 days and see for yourself.

I tried the direct from corel deal. If so motivated I could have continured doing it as such. However, its a waste of time and just one mistake and you have to spend time fixing or recutting.

IF you do just one or two little decals month or every 10 days then direct from corel may be the cheaper way to go. But if you do real sign work with layers and multi cuts Cocut pro is the answer.

Last time I was really busy,,, doing a multi layer job. with three more jobs on the wall. I sent the first job to cocut pro. and let it run. I continued to design job two in corel. Multitasking was great. So, instead of waiting and wasting design time I was cutting and designing together.

Negatives about Cocut pro? It wont hold your hand and tell you how great a designer you are. If you make a mistake either it will tell you or not cut your work. Yes I sent the wrong image type sent by customers several times over the years. Cocut wouldn't cut it.

Cutting direct from corel? Thats for those who insist on making a point and wear it as a badge of honor. Or its for those who like to manipulate devices. Personally, removing any and all possible points for an error makes for a stress free life.

OldPaint

Cutting direct from corel? Thats for those who insist on making a point and wear it as a badge of honor. Or its for those who like to manipulate devices. Personally, removing any and all possible points for an error makes for a stress free life.
i dont understand this statement, but will tell ya that i been cutting direct from corel draw to a ROLAND plotter since i started. it is no harder to do this then to install the driver, set up youre plotter as a printer, make it the default printer......and it will work just the same as any other sign program.....including COCUT.
most dont know that COCUT/EUROCUT IS COREL.....in essence. back to version 5 of corel, WHICH WAS STRIPED of the cut to plot driver/engine...because COREL leased that part of the corel program to COCUT/EUROCUT for 2 years. both corel 5 & 6 was incapable of cutting to a plotter because of this.....why do i know this? i bought 5, loaded it on my computer over my corel 4, it striped my computer of the cutting ability. since i had a full version of corel i called the corel rep, i had met him at a computer club gathering...and he told me this. so i had to reformat and reinstall corel 4 and i SOLD COREL 5 never bothered with 6 it was also useless to me. corel 7 was the 1st corel after 4 that would cut, by that time COCUT/EUOCUT had established a following with the line at all trade shows they would say..."COCUT WORKS SEEMLESSLY FRON INSIDE COREL DRAW."
no wonder it is COREL....code.
yes is has many more features then corel and makes it pretty simple for the people who are not really compuuter savey. as for me ive used FLEXI/SIGN LAB/SIGNWIZARD/VMPRO and i had the misforutune to play with GERBER 6.0(my opinion its junk compared to corel)and since 93 when i bought my 1st ROLAND, because of the reason i found out that it will cut from corel without any other addtional programs. i have cut all day long sometimes, never had a clitch or out of memory problem with cutting straight from corel.
as time went on i have ways of doing a lot of different thing that other sign programs do...and i can do them in corel most of the time. in the 14 yrs i been cutting from corel...ive only had 4-5 time that i couldnt do what i need thru corel. so for 98% of my 14 yrs, corel has did every thing i needed done.

Techman

"COCUT WORKS SEEMLESSLY FRON INSIDE COREL DRAW."
no wonder it is COREL....code.

Sorry OP.. ITs not corel code. Corel is written is C while the cocut uses VB code. In fact I have several modules written in VB that do exactly some of the same techniques within Cocut. I have duplicated more than a few of cocuts features myself using VB code.

And then. Cutting straight is good. However, so is using an exacto.
The added power of a good tool makes things we do more fun. Cocut is a good tool that adds functions and automats other techniques such as overlap, paneling, cut by color, weed lines, trapping, and other little goodies.
What if you wish to cut just the stroke of a letter? or you wish to turn that hairline into an outline, a countour that letter. You can make your decision with just a couple clicks and preview it on the fly.

That is what a good tool can help you do.

MAB SIGNS

Thanks guys! I run a Graphtec FC4100-75 and was considering running out of Corel but have never cut direct or used CoCut. I'll check out the Demo.

OldPaint

i dont care what manner of coed it was wrote in, ORIGINALLY IT WAS PROPERTY OF COREL AND WAS LEASED TO EUROCUT/COCUT FOR 2 YEARS....or/and 2 versions of COREL!!!!