• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw and Flexi

Joseph Dunkle

Since I don't currently know how to use Flexi since I just got a copy the other day, how should I import my Corel Draw 11 files into it so it will cut them?

What is the best format and such? I tried doing EPS but I got a format not supported error message.

I called Flexi and after being on hold for half an hour, i talked to the guy about my format not supported error and he told me to send him a copy and he would call me back sonce a thunder storm was rolling in and I had to shut the PC's down. And well it's wenesday and he still hasn't called back.

Steve C.

Cut and Paste should work fine if you are just cutting vinyl. From what I hear, different versions of Corel work differently with Flexi. I use Corel 8 and I just open the Corel files right from Flexi. Sometimes you need to convert all text to curve or the size could be changed. If you are doing any Digital printing Cut and Paste can cause problems, especially if you use gradiant fountain fills. When you open a Corel file in Flexi it should be only one page since Flexi does not have multiple pages.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Unless you have some kind of plug-in that installs directly into the CorelDRAW program, you don't cut from it.

If you have Flexi, use Flexi to cut your vinyl. Its production manager gives you a lot more control over your plotting options than what you would get with a simple printer style driver in Corel.

When exporting Corel-generated artwork to Flexi for vinyl cutting work, convert all type to curves. It also helps if you fill all objects in Black and remove any outline strokes on objects. If outline strokes are needed as part of the cutting job, it is best to use the convert outline to object command in Corel before exporting. Flexi can be a bit inconsistent on importing stroked artwork.

Depending on the version of CorelDRAW you're using, you may have to experiment between exporting EPS or Adobe Illustrator files. You can also try opening CorelDRAW files directly in Flexi or using the clipboard to copy/paste objects. IMHO, you get more accurate results exporting EPS or AI artwork. Try any of those methods and then very closely examine the quality of art imported. If the imported artwork has the same amount of control points and doesn't have any wierd problems introduced then that route will be okay to use. But you have to try it.

Stewart

Joseph Dunkle said:
Since I don't currently know how to use Flexi since I just got a copy the other day, how should I import my Corel Draw 11 files into it so it will cut them?

What is the best format and such? I tried doing EPS but I got a format not supported error message.

I called Flexi and after being on hold for half an hour, i talked to the guy about my format not supported error and he told me to send him a copy and he would call me back sonce a thunder storm was rolling in and I had to shut the PC's down. And well it's wenesday and he still hasn't called back.

Your format not supported error message sounds like the exported file
was to new of a version. Even though your Flexi is new and you’re Corel
is version 11 it still takes awhile for Flexi to catch up.

I have had the best luck with the newer versions of Flexi exporting vector
files from Corel 11 as Illustrator .ai version 7 (used to be .eps would play
better with Flexi). Then importing the .ai file into Flexi.

I would not recommend the copy / cut and paste method as there will be
quality issues not to mention the un-necessary use of system resources.

Attachments

• corel-2.jpg
    corel-2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 245

Slimpickins

Someone said you can't cut direct from Corel, I hate that rumour............. I have been doing it for over 2 years with great results !
Read back a couple of weeks in the Corel forum to find the method, need only a printer driver and a parralel printer cable to cut vinyl directly, no plugins or bridge software required.
Tommy

SMSupply

Slimpikims, some machines works as Windows Device Driver that you can output your job from Corel/Illustrator to your cutter directly like Graphtec, Roland, Mimaki... but some of others works with PostScript Driver like IOLINE that it needs software support it to output job to cutter.

Techman

Yes, Old Paint is the cut from Corel guru. He was the one who long ago spent the time to develope the technique to the form it is today.
Almost every tutorial i've ever read were clones of what OP did years ago.
The way I understand it ,,, To cut from Corel you need a plotter that accepts paralell port commands.

--Techman

Leondo

i thought i saw someone say that they use cocut pro for corel, its a plugin that lets you cut from corel draw?:help:

ChiknNutz

I use CoCut Pro paired with Corel and find it to be a very nice affordable solution. CoCut offers a lot more than just cutting - weed lines, tiling, reg marks, corner rounding, contour lines, very nice welding/trapping features, etc. I got a smokin' deal on mine when I bought my cutter, but I think it is worth the current price as well.

Along with CoCut is a nice program they call Job Manager, but it really is a clipart management system. It isn't the most user-friendly, but it will read almost ALL tyical files - Corel, Illustrator, EPS, DXF, HPGL, as well as most bitmaps and all of the CoCut jobs (you can save cutting features as a .ccj file for later retreival).