• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel is crap!

HardbargerSigns

I think these good folks have pretty much answered the question of how to go about cutting to the sx, and I believe the headline; "Corel sucks" was meant to attract enough posts that Echorcr would be sure to his/her answer... worked like a charm! ;)

Corel IS indeed a good program for sign companies. The problem is that it started out as a less than powerful program. Illustrator was far superior.

But times, and the program, have changed. Corel is no longer considered a "toy" by most designers, it has come a long way and I believe it is a faster program than illustrator for high production sign shops. But I'm not knocking Adobe, Corel just loads up and works faster.

Replicator

Try this www.whisqu.se see if it works for you

I see that these guys may have also created Inkscape . . .

I like that program and use it quite frequently, but I watched a couple of
their videos to see how SignCut X2 works, and I gotta be honest with ya,
It looks like a whole lot of nonsense and extra steps to go through.

Side Note : If you like it . . . Thats whats important !

player

Remeber that Corel is not true Postscript Level 3 so it does not always keep color consistency when exporting to print or rip.

Adobe and Flexi are.

P

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think these good folks have pretty much answered the question of how to go about cutting to the sx, and I believe the headline; "Corel sucks" was meant to attract enough posts that Echorcr would be sure to his/her answer... worked like a charm! ;)

Corel IS indeed a good program for sign companies. The problem is that it started out as a less than powerful program. Illustrator was far superior.

But times, and the program, have changed. Corel is no longer considered a "toy" by most designers, it has come a long way and I believe it is a faster program than illustrator for high production sign shops. But I'm not knocking Adobe, Corel just loads up and works faster.

Having heard about Corels command of the sign industry for over 9 years on the internet I would say more shops are looking at Illustrator a lot more than the used too. I have heard more than once, that Corel was the "industry standard" which was probably the most misinformed statement I have ever heard. Corel is a great program especially when compared to early versions of Illustrator on PC...in fact PC versions of Illustrator were laughable when compared to Corel. I would say Illlustrator has caught up to Corel (at least on the PC platform)...and I am an Illustrator user....Hey, did you apply at the Austin design firm, there is another firm in your area looking too....but you better know Illy

:tongue:

Sign Prophet

I have no problems with corel as it makes me money. I think it is an excellent design program. I have never really tryed anything else.

mark in tx

Not to pee in the punchbowl, but I usually have to take a customer supplied file designed in Corel into Photoshop, Illustrator, or Flexi to get them production ready.
Usually to fix up their poor blending, or layering, or open paths.

I know, its the skill of the person using the program, but how can they miss obvious white jagged edges around photos slapped onto contrasting backgrounds?

mamos

corel 100% Rocks ! ! !

I agree 100%

For the money corel is fantastic but is is what you get used to.

I found when I used to use a roland pnc5000 from corel 11 I needed to set the line thickness to .001 in, in order for it to cut consistantly

I would put each colour in a design on a seperate layer and cut as if I was printing using print preview.

I don't know if any of this helps

mamos

tmsigns

I have been using corel and stika for a few years. All you have to do is export the file then import it into stika. Kind of a pain but Corel X3 rocks

curlyt

Roland has driver for X3

I was doing research on how I could get my Stika SV-15 to cut, because it just sat there and blinked it's Blue lights at me.
I wnt to the Roland Web site as someone had given a link and low and behold found that Roland has an updated driver for the machine to work with X3, so I downloaded it and wala!
It's at http://dg4.roland.co.jp/en/cutting.html#sv81215 for anyone who is still interested!

Carl T.
Ekko Graphics