• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel X4 question

Jim Hill

I have been using CorelDraw 12 for the past few years and I like it.

Today I received an email from a company named Purplus Software and they are offering Corel Graphics Suite X4 for $149.95 Is this the teacher version?

I would like to hear from others who have purchased software from them and it they were happy with this companies products.

I like the version of Corel I have now but I just ordered Tom Knight video's and he made them using Corel X4 so I thought it might make sense to upgrade to a later version of Corel.

I find more great information on Signs 101 then any where else and that's why I did not ask this question on some of the other sites.

:signs101: Thanks Jim

Jackpine

Jim this is from their site.
OEM
OEM refers to Original Equipment Manufacturer packaging. OEM is software that was intended to be sold as part of an bulk shipment but has been split up for resale (the text on the CD face might display this same information). The OEM products are of the same quality and often carry the same manufacturer warranty as their retail counterparts (the single-pack). Unless otherwise noted OEM titles ship as CD Only.

R08

Probably an academic version. All the same slick... none of the books.

... you 'are' in school aren't you?

Jim Hill

Rob

Rob: You asked if I was in school and the answer is I was about 50 years ago but heck I am still a student which I believe everyone is until the day we die.

We are always learning new software or reading about something new.

I am 61 and last Saturday I went over to Daytona to the Richard Petty Driving School and in 6 laps I got up to 147 MPH before the instructor told me to slow down. I believe we are all students just passing through life.

I think I might purchase the Corel X4 and try it.

Everything I have learned about Corel has been from reading the The Offical Guide books written by Steve Bain and from reading other books.

I used Photo Shop for about 5 years before I ever tried Corel.

I had a friend who gave me an older version of Corel and each time I tried to learn it I found it difficult to learn and I did not like it.

One day my friend said you don't like it because you don't know how to use it and he was right!

Once I started using Corel more I found myself not using PhotoShop anymore.

Corel does many things faster then I could ever do them in PhotoShop.

Jim

Techman

OEM usually does not have the books. You will need the books.

But just the same. I got x3 for just 149 upgrade and got a free tablet too. So maybe there is an upgrade price for x4 too..

R08

Rob: You asked if I was in school and the answer is I was about 50 years ago ...
Jim

It was tongue firmly planted in cheek.:Big Laugh
Think: Signs101... school....class etc...

But I guess we're all still learning. Just turned 49 and
I'm still learning.

Go to X4, the improvements are well worth it.:thumb:

Rib

HuMJohn

OEM usually does not have the books. You will need the books.

But just the same. I got x3 for just 149 upgrade and got a free tablet too. So maybe there is an upgrade price for x4 too..
There is. Any previous version of Corel Draw will qualify you for a full upgrade at the upgrade price. Check out the Corel website for more information on this.

I would order the full DVD and not download the upgrade. Both of these are the same price or nearly so, but the DVD comes with the books and a lot of other goodies, including tutorial movies in multiple languages, tons of fonts and clipart, etc., etc.

Goatboy

OEM and academic versions also lack VBA. If you do upgrade I would download the trial and take the upgrade offer that comes along with it. If you have 12 or less the function upgrades will amaze you that you went so long without them. Fillet, trim/crop/intersect bitmaps, finally fixed contour, trace is better then ever...so and so on...X4 the changes are more subtle but if you run vista go for X4

Alan D

VBA is included with the accademic version of X4 (although not with previous versions) , no books though and generally you can't upgrade from those versions.