• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw X3 Graphics Suite - crashing after loading it on Windows 7 Pro Computer

Suz

Hello! Hopefully somebody can rescue me. We've had a few switcheroos since we decided to quit using a buggy old
Windows XP Computer, after windows quit support.

So, that computer was the one I did a lot of CorelDraw work on. Version X3, Graphics Suite is what I have.
Out of those programs, the one I need to use the most is CorelDraw.

I will do some reading here and try to find an answer. It was working just fine until I tried to re-install CS2 on the same computer.
My memory tells me there were issues with that before when the programs were new. So, I removed both, then loaded just the
CorelDraw.

By the way, I had to go to Adobe website to get new downloads and licenses/keys for the Adobe CS2 suite. That was a bit of work!
Made me sick I spent a lot of money over the years on the Adobe products, all legal copies. I believe in paying for software. So,
after all that mess, I am now having probems with my Corel programs too, as stated. Yikes!

I've tried to contact Corel. Funny, I go round in circles on the phone. When I emailed them regaring problem,
no response or even ticket number to respond to my problem.

I get this message when trying to open a file:
Welcome to A.I.M. / Application Recovery Wizard
Welcome??? Wow, with open arms, then somewhere was a link that new software is avaiable.
Oh, also, picture this: (Graphic of a Life Preserver pops up on screen) Haha!
Application has become unstable...
Corel has stopped working.
No kidding! :(

Then I get the boot!

Going crazy here! If you know any secrets, please share.
Thanks ahead!

Tony McD

hmmm...not sure I can help, but i've been using x3 with windows 7 pro for a couple years with no problems.
However I don't have any adobe programs installed, other than reader.

When you installed x3...did you also install all the updates?

I remember the crashes and the ARM messages..but I think it was with Corel version 8.

Suz

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for the help! No, did not install updates. I got a message saying there were no updates.
I'm sort of panicked about it today, but I do have Illustrator CS2 on an old computer still, Also Windows 7.

After quite a few years now of using Corel, I'm not as good on Illustrator as I used to be. But I can do what I need to do.

Gotta learn Illustrator better (again).

Later in the week, I will have more time, just a little rushed today.

Thank you for sharing. Glad you remember those messages! Also glad it is working for you. That is encoraging!

Suz

graphicwarning

I won't say it "will not" work... BUT, CGS X3 was released in Jan. of 2006, and was never designed to work or be compatible with Win7. Again, thats not to say it won't... your mileage may vary. That said, there are compatibility modes available in Win7 that should let you run it in XP compatibility mode, and may help.

And Corel likely won't answer you... if they do, they will probably suggest you upgrade because X3 is just not supported anymore.

WildWestDesigns

I won't say it "will not" work... BUT, CGS X3 was released in Jan. of 2006, and was never designed to work or be compatible with Win7. Again, thats not to say it won't... your mileage may vary. That said, there are compatibility modes available in Win7 that should let you run it in XP compatibility mode, and may help.

With Win7 Pro, should be able to run XP in a virtual mode (better then just plain compatibility like you have in say Win 7 Home Edition. That would be what I would try to run it in.

OldPaint

x3 if up to date will have this version number in the HELP-ABOUT window
13.0.0.667. that is the last update. but then i dont think this is your problem.
i am running WIN 7 ULTIMATE in a 32 BIT environment.........and have no problems with X3 or any programs that i had running XP.
this is where i think you have a problem when you had the WIN 7 PRO loaded did they do as 64 BIT?????
if so............then you will continue to have problems with OLDER PROGRAMS( corel cs2)
like i keep telling people here........if you want to run older SOFTWARE.......DO NOT LOAD WIN AS A 64 BIT OS................this is just creating conflicts with 32 bit programs you already have.

WildWestDesigns

13.0.0.667. that is the last update. but then i dont think this is your problem.
i am running WIN 7 ULTIMATE in a 32 BIT environment.........and have no problems with X3 or any programs that i had running XP.
this is where i think you have a problem when you had the WIN 7 PRO loaded did they do as 64 BIT?????
if so............then you will continue to have problems with OLDER PROGRAMS( corel cs2)
like i keep telling people here........if you want to run older SOFTWARE.......DO NOT LOAD WIN AS A 64 BIT OS................this is just creating conflicts with 32 bit programs you already have.

Not necessarily. Your Pro, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Win 7 actually have the ability to run a fully licensed XP (comes included) within Win 7. That's where you want to install and run it. I think once it's installed, you can even run the XP program from within Win 7 itself. It's your Home version of Win 7 that only offers limited compatibility for XP.

Techman

I ran X3 on several win 7 machines with nt a lick of trouble. I installed x3 for more then a few others on their win 7 machines. Never not once was there any trouble. I do not believe win7 is the problem. Not in the least.

I also run cs2 on every win 7 machine in the house. Not a single problem with any one of them. A number of people installed cs2 on their machines last weekend and not a single problem there either.

Tony McD

Mine is windows 7 64 bit with corel x3 loaded and works fine. I also have window xp/virtual machine which only runs an old version of flexi with a dongle.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Corel after the adobe install?

Sidney

Try upgrading when possible

Hello,

I would suggest upgrading to version 6 or 7 when it is possible. I used x3 on XP, but since then have upgraded to x6. During this time of year you may be able to upgrade for $159-$179.00. Keep your eyes open for the upgrade drop in price.

Suz

Hey Y'all,

Well, I got tuckered out after getting worked up so early this morning. Actually, just taking our time loading this new computer, but I tried too hard with trying to make Corel X3 and Adobe CS2 play nice on the same computer today! Probably should not have done that! I don't know how many of you have both of those Software Suites on the same computer, but for me, it did not work well in the past. I have enough computers that I should keep them on separate machines!

I do appreciate all of your great ideas & will look at all of these things you suggest! Thank you all!

Graphic Warning, You are right, Corel is old and they are not obligated to support. However, I want to squeeze every last dime out of my investment. So wish me luck! Thank you for your input.

Wild/Evan, About your suggestion to run virtual mode, great idea! I don't know anything about that, but have heard husband talk about virtual mode he uses on his Mac for something he runs. I think it's a Windows program he's running virtual. So he'll know about that type of thing. Tech talk, right up his alley! Thank you! By the way, I loved the embroidery design you did of the Cardinal, you should be proud! Beautiful Art, Beatuful Digitizing, Beautifully sewn out! I will get over to the Embroidery Group you have again soon and post some of my work. Been doing some vehicles again. Not airplanes this time. Now it is Hot Rods and Muscle Cars. Fun Fun! Full Jacket backs, but stuff I love. Did I tell you I'm a Dodge Dart fan? I am a Mopar Momma! Love the old 2 door coupes. Had two of them years ago. Oh what they pay for those things now!

Techman, Yes! We are also fans of Windows 7 like you! We have it on 3 computers, Vista is on just one computer, and the newest computer is a Mac. The Mac was my choice, I started with Mac when I worked in the Newspaper Industry using computers. Before the Internet became available, I bought my first PC for home business use and we've been using PC's since. Until about 2 years ago when we got a new Mac. Husband didn't want the Mac, but that machine soon became his and he loves the simplicity of it. Small on his desktop, and it's been fun for him to play with. Oh, I guess we do have another computer, it's running XP and runs my cad cutter. It's old, not connected to internet any longer. It serves the one purpose.

Tony, Thanks for the Link!!! Very useful, I will surely be visiting there as well. Great to know what patches to look for. You are a God send! I tried uninstall and reinstall. First install of Corel on a freshly wiped computer with New Windows Pro (32 bit was purchased) and it
worked just perfect. It was when I tried to add Adobe CS2 on the same computer when I started having errors and problems. Then I checked my Corel program again to see if it was still working right, and found the problems there too. Both programs had been uninstalled and reinstalled. However, I have not tried any of the patches suggested. I will do that when I have more time. Your help is very much appreciated Tony! Thank you again!

Old Paint, Yes, I am running 32 Bit on the Windows 7 (Pro). I have some 32 bit programs still, so have always felt that was best to just run my computers 32 bit when I had a choice. I will look to see if "Properties" in Corel Program has 32 bit settings. Good tip! Or wherever I can set it.

McFatty, Thanks for your input! I am so glad you got things working with the Windows 7. I needed confirmation that it does work,or can work. So, much appreciated!

Sidney, Thank you for your input as well! I will look into an upgrade if I can't do this. But I do love my Corel X3, it has become a well used tool for me and I know where stuff is! Turns me into speed-racer when I can find my tools! Know what I mean? I do appreciate the suggestion, and may very well do that. But for now, my money is exercising it's stretching abilities. LOL!

Thank you again Everyone! I will let you know how this goes, but it may be a while.
Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Suz

Suz

Last Update

OldPaint,

Again, thanks so much for the help. Looking in the area you told me under "Help" I got this number:
13.0.0.739 (this is with Service Pack 2 installed)
Yes, we did install Service Pack 1 first, which I think your number, 13.0.0.667 would indicate, if we had stopped there.
Still not sure what is going on. For now though, we resolved issues on other computers and I am able to use my Corel x3 on a laptop I had used the most.
Yay!

We will likely just have to wipe the whole hard drive again and start over on the desktop computer.
I may just go with a new copy of CorelDraw X5 for the Windows 7 computer then.
We'll see.

Thanks again!

Suz

To: OldPaint (again)

Hi OldPaint,

Hey, thanks for answering my questions on the other thread:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by OldPaint

the programs either of any of them.......ALL RUN AUTONOMOUS of each other. be it corel, illy, sign lab etc.
none of the files from other programs are used when your working in say corel. why you are hving a problem with X3 is got nothing to do with CS2.

My answer to the above question:
Yes, I do understand the programs run separate from eachother, that is true. However, I have had problems putting both Corel and Illustrator on the same computer in the past. Perhaps it is the way I install it and the way I answer the questions when I get messages that pop up during install, which say that there are other programs on the computer that share some of the same files and would I like to keep or delete. I usually say "Keep" but have done so many install and uninstalls, I may have done something wrong. Usually I do pretty well with this stuff, but it could have nothing to do with me and everything to do with these being older programs. Just trying to find my way through it and I will.

Suz

Update - Corel is working again!

Thanks everyone for your input. Smart Husband decided to go back to the original System image of Windows 7 Pro that he made, then we re-loaded Corel X3 and it works as it should again. I put an old copy of Photoshop 6 on the same computer, rather than Illustrator CS2. I use Photoshop a lot and much prefer it over Corel's bitmap handling program, which I think is CorelPaint. Also, I like Adobe Acrobat Pro, which does a fine job of helping me to convert Illustrator files to eps files I can open and use in CorelDraw. I own Acrobat 7 Pro and Acrobat 8 Pro, but have loaded Acrobat 7, as it was the easiest to re-load, after finding my new serial number and download. Thanks a lot Adobe! (Not really!)

This is all legal software, I've bought it all. I will put Illustrator CS2 on another computer. Others have confirmed they have both Corel and Adobe suites on the same computer, but it doesn't work for me. Running out of time and have to get some work done. Turns out, after finding the error files, the problem was that both programs were using some of the same system files, and that is what caused the "application has become unstable" message when loading Corel.

I guess I'm a little frustrated to have discovered days ago that the Adobe products I bought didn't work. My software discs are no good and neither are the original serial numbers. What a twisted road it was to get up and running again, re-loading this stuff! I still have more work to do, have to load all my embroidery software stuff again too. But at least I know what I am in for there. Did that already, before loading my Graphics stuff. Should have done the Graphics stuff first!

This might help someone in future, you never know. Thanks for listening! As usual, you have all been helpful. This is where I found the most helpful information on what was going on with my Adobe CS2 software. I love Signs101!

Suz

Corel crashed again

Things seemed to be going well and I was able to begin working again....

Then last weekend in the evening, we had to update Adobe Flash (not the Pro version) and my Corel crashed again.
Weird! Also: Windows updated overnight about the same time.

Had to un-install Corel, then go back to the last System update we made when it was all running good.
Then, re-loaded the CorelDraw again.

Now it's working again. Keeping fingers crossed!

Suz

Turn off auto update in windows to be safe from their nonsense. ITs a well known problem.

McFatty and Techman,

I do appreicate the help. I feel like the only one some days going through this, but I know I am not.
Just a late blooomer, that's me! Didn't know until just recently what Adobe really did to some of us (many of us).

Heck, I was in a fog about a dang cloud!! Not any more. Yeah, Adobe nonsense. Keep that rain cloud away from me.

Thank you both for your ideas, I will be doing both of those things later this evening. Gotta dash off for a bit.