• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost of HF router?

eggnog316

Hello, we have a Summa Flatbed and are looking to purchase a HF router.

We received one quote for $23k and it seems extremely high. We have a discontinued model (F1330) so we've only been able to get a single quote.

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have purchased either a regular or HF router for their F series. Are we getting gouged?

Also, for those who have a router, how well does it cut ACM? Does it leave smooth edges?

ProColorGraphics

The HF Router is that ridiculously overpriced! I have the standard router and route ACM all day without any issues! There is no way I would pay that much for it. I remember finding that Sykotec spindle they use for that and it was only like $3k. haha

eggnog316

The HF Router is that ridiculously overpriced! I have the standard router and route ACM all day without any issues! There is no way I would pay that much for it. I remember finding that Sykotec spindle they use for that and it was only like $3k. haha
Thanks for the answer!

It does seem like an insane price point, I could get an actual 4x8 CNC machine for 20-25k.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the standard router? Are the edges relatively smooth when you cut ACM?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I say go for the regular one. HF is only for people who for whatever reason want to do a ton of routing on that machine.
$23k does sound a bit on the high side.

CanuckSigns

the standard router on ours cuts ACM beautifully, we used to send out ACM to get router cut at a shop with a true CNC, and the edges we get now are 100 times better, that might just be because I actually care though...

In my opinion the standard router cuts everything we have thrown at it just fine (ACM, Acrylic, PVC, Plywood), The summa F-Series is a digital cutter first, the router has always felt like an afterthought, yes it works but if I was routing all day, I would get a proper machine.

The standard router was $6000 when we bought our machine 2 years ago.

eggnog316

I say go for the regular one. HF is only for people who for whatever reason want to do a ton of routing on that machine.
$23k does sound a bit on the high side.
Do you have experience cutting ACM with the regular router?

The strongest material we'll be cutting will be 3 mm ACM, and the occasional sheet of plywood. And nothing fancy, just square (sometimes rounded edges) cutouts of specific sizes.

balstestrat

Problem Solver

The strongest material we'll be cutting will be 3 mm ACM, and the occasional sheet of plywood. And nothing fancy, just square (sometimes rounded edges) cutouts of specific sizes.
Yeah 3mm ACM is fine, no problem.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Just finished cutting up a bunch of 3mm acm parking sign blanks on our F1612 with the standard router - works great. Took a while to find a bit/settings I was happy with but I think we're there.

This is what we're currently using: Onsrud 65-018

eggnog316

the standard router on ours cuts ACM beautifully, we used to send out ACM to get router cut at a shop with a true CNC, and the edges we get now are 100 times better, that might just be because I actually care though...

In my opinion the standard router cuts everything we have thrown at it just fine (ACM, Acrylic, PVC, Plywood), The summa F-Series is a digital cutter first, the router has always felt like an afterthought, yes it works but if I was routing all day, I would get a proper machine.

The standard router was $6000 when we bought our machine 2 years ago.
Awesome, thanks for the answer, I'll opt for the standard router if I can find one.

We would only need to route 2-3 sheets of ACM per day so it seems like a waste of money and space to get a dedicated CNC machine just for that.

CanuckSigns

the standard router will do just fine for those applications, Invest in some high quality router bits for the standard router and your edges on ACM will be perfect

eggnog316

I have (2) standard router spindles I am looking to sell. ;) Along with several different sized collets, both standard and metric.
I'd be happy to take one off your hands, but I've been told that the routers are not interchangeable. As in you can't use a router for a F1612 on a F1330 and vice versa. Different gantry setups or something?

What model are they for?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

I would agree that the standard router would work just fine and I received the message you sent us earlier and am looking into availability for one of the 1330 router systems. That particular model has been discontinued for a few years now so it may be a long shot sourcing one of these but we still have a strong relationship with the factory in Summa and I am hoping we can track one down for you. I have your contact info and will update you via email once I hear back from Summa in Belgium.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

eggnog316

Good afternoon,

I would agree that the standard router would work just fine and I received the message you sent us earlier and am looking into availability for one of the 1330 router systems. That particular model has been discontinued for a few years now so it may be a long shot sourcing one of these but we still have a strong relationship with the factory in Summa and I am hoping we can track one down for you. I have your contact info and will update you via email once I hear back from Summa in Belgium.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
Thank you Phil, I just saw your email. I appreciate the follow up.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to "jerry-rig" a standard router gantry from a different F series to the 1330? We'd be able to lengthen the wiring+vacuum hose and fabricate a new gantry if needed.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to "jerry-rig" a standard router gantry from a different F series to the 1330? We'd be able to lengthen the wiring+vacuum hose and fabricate a new gantry if needed.

After speaking with our tech team they did not think it was possible but I included that question with my request for availability just in case there aren't any available. I will keep you updated as I get more information but feel free to reach out here or via email if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

CanuckSigns

Pardon my ignorance, but what would limit the router module from being interchangable between all the F-series machines, it seems like the only difference would be a longer hose and possibly a slightly different overhead arm that the hose connects to. the router module itself just slots into slot 2&3 on the head, there is no extra wiring involved, am I missing something?

ProColorGraphics

I'd be happy to take one off your hands, but I've been told that the routers are not interchangeable. As in you can't use a router for a F1612 on a F1330 and vice versa. Different gantry setups or something?

What model are they for?
The spindle is the same, you would just need a different hose setup. As yours would need a longer house. So just getting my spindle, won't get you running. You would need to get the assembly from Summa first. I like have multiples for both multi bit jobs and just to have a back up.

ProColorGraphics

The "module" that plugs in would be the same. You would just need a longer hose and wiring if you got one for a F1612. If I was in your position that is what I would do if they didn't make the F1330 one anymore.