• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cracking Wrap

Get Lucky

One of my friends had his truck and trailer wrapped. The problem is that after three yeas the laminate seems to be cracking. Is this normal? What should a person see for wrap life? I have attched a couple picture.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11900011_10203986276049852_4605629774879357196_n.jpg
    11900011_10203986276049852_4605629774879357196_n.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 11899811_10203986275849847_3917945776872052988_n.jpg
    11899811_10203986275849847_3917945776872052988_n.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 113

jtinker

Owner
The lam definetly seems to be on the cheaper side. Not uncommon for a lower quality better price laminate. Especially since the color on the wrap isnt too faded to account for the amount of cracking.
We did some wraps for the pharmicutical company across the street so we see them every day that was nearly 3 years ago give or take a couple months and its no where near that level of cracking. This in 70-105 degrees and 80-90% humidity everywhere all the time. The lam we used was an entry level arlon wrap film.

I would say it looks like someone took a torch to it or its just very cheap.

Get Lucky

The installer used Avery materials not sure if that is defined as cheap or not. The truck and trailer do sit outside at high elevation (5000 feet) Temperature range is -10 to 100F and average humidity is 17-55%.

We talked to the installer, they tried to get the Avery rep out to look at it and nothing ever happened. Seems like Avery wants nothing to do with it.

jtinker

Owner
Theres an idea, that would explain the spot cracking without the ink being sufficiently faded for it. And it does look like a worn down matte finish of old liquid lam.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It also depends very greatly on how they take care of it. A wrap, just like paint must be cared for. Even more so than paint really, it should be waxed with a quality synthetic wax a couple of times a year (ideally). I have seen some here (even our own customers printed on 3M 180 and laminated with 3M gloss lam) start cracking almost right at 3 years on the top. This is only on a couple of customers vehicles like banks. The people that drive it do not care one bit and in 3 years it had only been washed maybe 5 times and that was only going through an automatic wash. The rest of the time it was outdoors 24x7 and cooking in the hot direct sun year round. Yeah - with that sort of care we tell customers to only expect 3 years max. Even with the best materials. We also warn them that if they try to push it and leave it on after it starts cracking it then no longer protects the paint, it starts severely damaging the paint instead....

That needs to come off of those trucks immediately or they will start getting permanent stains and lines in the paint where the cracks are.

Get Lucky

I went and looked at the installers web page and it appears that they are using a Roland Printer with eco solve inks. Still trying to figure out what Lam they are using.

Edit: I know the truck and trailer are washed weekly by hand or it was until it started to crack. It was never waxed. He wasn't told it should be when it was installed. Last I had talked to the owner was the wrap was coming off right after the next show which is the weekend of Sept. 12. Then off to the body shop for any repairs and it will get large decals. Not going to have a wrap anymore if manufacturers are not going to stand behind it.

Get Lucky

I'm not placing the blame on Avery or the shop. The fact is had the rep bothered to even come and say "Hey you didn't wax it. It dried out and crack. That suck." Life would have been good and we would know why the wrap failed.

Fact is I am new to the industry and still learning. If a product fails I want to know why and how it can be prevented so I don't make a huge mistake at some point. Granted I don't wrap cars but we do trailers and things like that.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
... I have seen some here (even our own customers printed on 3M 180 and laminated with 3M gloss lam) start cracking almost right at 3 years on the top.

There aren't any laminate manufacturers that warranty that long "on the top" horizontal surfaces facing direct UV.
But all the rest of what you said is true. Needs to be taken care of. If not washed off...the road debris/dust/dirt will draw the moisture out of the laminate.

SignProPlus-Chip

My vote is for calendered lam over cast vinyl. We see this a lot here in SC...two local companies are notorious for mixing these materials and the outcome is always the same. We have replaced graphics that were cracked like this for clients before, they originally got the work done at another shop and some only last about a year and a half.