• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Credit Card Stolen Number, how did it happen?

netsol

These days you have to use up to date encryption to be PCI compliant. The problem is that PCI compliance is a self reporting standard so any merchant can just say they are compliant and it get's filed away somewhere.
not necessarily,
most times theynmakecyou download an app to scan the ENTIRE network, to test compliance
then they send you a report that looks like the dead sea scrolls & a list of "recommendations"

in our old location, (2019) we had 2 neighboring businesses that shared my internet access (we had 29 global ip's so i gave one to each of them. they hooked up their own routers. bob downloaded the pci compliance app and they sent me a list of 6 routers they didn't approve of. fortunately, we were moving to our larger location & bob had to buy. his own internet access

gnubler

Our card number kept getting stolen and we do business with all kinds of promo products vendors so it was impossible to track down. Now we issue a different virtual card with a unique number for each vendor so if it gets stolen we can tell where the leak is and the actual card doesn’t have to be canceled.
What's a virtual card?

My business credit card was hit last week and my bank closed the account immediately. Huge PITA because that card is tied to a number of autopays that were all due to hit yesterday and today. A new card will arrive in 7-10 days but in the meantime I'm forced to use my personal cc for business purchases which screws things up. Reading through the forum it sounds like people have more than one cc for the business so I need to do that. Any suggestions on a good card to get? Was reading through this thread from 2018 but wondering about more current suggestions.

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
A virtual card is just a different card number than the actual card number. It’s the same concept as how Apple Pay generates a throwaway unique card number for each transaction. We have Capital One and it lets you make as many virtual cards as you want. The main difference being it’s not a throwaway number but a unique reusable number assigned to one particular vendor, so if that number gets stolen it only cancels the card for that vendor (and you know where the leak is).

gnubler

Interesting, I'll look into that. My card was hit within an hour or so of ordering from Grimco, so something happened during that transaction or else it was just a random breach from elsewhere.

MI Bearcat

What's a virtual card?

My business credit card was hit last week and my bank closed the account immediately. Huge PITA because that card is tied to a number of autopays that were all due to hit yesterday and today. A new card will arrive in 7-10 days but in the meantime I'm forced to use my personal cc for business purchases which screws things up. Reading through the forum it sounds like people have more than one cc for the business so I need to do that. Any suggestions on a good card to get? Was reading through this thread from 2018 but wondering about more current suggestions.
Shouldn't take 7-10 days to get a new card. Tell them you want the card overnighted.

gnubler

Welp, I got hacked again and my card was shut down. I got a second card from another bank since the last episode, so now I'll just be playing the game of going back and forth between cards every time I get hit.

Getting really frustrated with this.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Welp, I got hacked again and my card was shut down. I got a second card from another bank since the last episode, so now I'll just be playing the game of going back and forth between cards every time I get hit.

don't use your main CC for bad habits

gnubler

F*ck no. I pretty much order from the same recurring vendors. If there's an option to NOT save my card info, I choose that. Some vendors don't offer a choice and I don't like that.

My latest hack hit me with charges across the US and in Bangladesh. One was for a doctor's office.

IsItFasst

F*ck no. I pretty much order from the same recurring vendors. If there's an option to NOT save my card info, I choose that. Some vendors don't offer a choice and I don't like that.
I hate this too. Many times you can go into your account and delete the cart after the transaction is done but still hate having to go through the extra steps. I had one of my cards get hit/replaced 3 times in a year so I feel your pain.

gnubler

Once again, technology and automation wasting more of my time and patience. But it's "progress".

gnubler

Welp, here we go again. New card hacked overnight and shut down. They said a new card will be issued and should arrive in 5-7 business days, should I be complaining about this? Somewhere else in the thread someone said they had a new card issued the next day.

It's going to be extra fun when all my cards get hit at the same time.

Signstein

Wells Fargo, by chance? They must have the worst security because they were having credit card numbers hacked as soon as the cards were issued. I had 3 cards hacked in succession over the course of a few weeks before I found out that it was WF itself that was leaking the info. They were also found guilty again this summer of creating more fake accounts that people didn't authorize. Just food for thought - it's not always a vendor. Sometimes it's the bank.

gnubler

Not WF, but a major national bank. Prior to this, my card issued by a local credit union was hit twice within six weeks. I got into a debate with a friend recently who insisted it was all the bank's fault, and that I should close all my accounts with them and take my money elsewhere. Where? They're ALL like this, it sounds like. I should just sign up for a dozen different cards and play the "which one hasn't been hacked yet" game. The whole system is broken. I'm exasperated.

Black Star

Not A New Member
My Mom's personal credit card just got stolen from her small town credit union. She's never used the card and it's still glued to the paper that it came on. Ridiculous!