• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cricut over a graphtec!!!

Enola

I have some friends who are into the "craft fair" business (slash hobby).
They come to me on occasion for templates, and as of late, vinyl decals for these Glass Blocks (with cute sayings). I knew they were interested in buying a cutter for some time now.

Well, I finally ordered a new cutter to replace my old 24" graphtec. The old girl is running flawless (thats how I know its a girl), but it was time to go larger with all the bells an whistles. So I give them a call and make them a screaming deal (or so I thought) of $300 for the cutter including an old version of flexisign.

To my surprise, they poo-poo'd my offer and explained how they researched the Cricut, and all the the materials it would cut that my plotter would not. One of their major interests was the ability of the cricut to cuy LEATHER and some kind of WOOD?

Well darn. I wish I would have knew about the cricut before I ordered my new graphtec.
(yes Im being sarcastic)

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 685

Dan360

Yea those little Cricut machines are specifically marketed to that kind of craft/hobby crowd. They make specialty materials that, from what I can tell, will only work (I'm guessing "fit" is the better word) in their machines.

Different world I guess, not for the type of volume a graphtec would handle.

Enola

I have an old leather coat I may have to run through my old plotter!:rolleyes:

The down side to my story. They have me do a bunch of wall lettering (cute sayings), and they think they can piece them together on the cricut. I hope that works out for them.

henryz

Well with a Graphtec you can make those cute little birthday banners and sell them at the fairs as well.

Last edited:

Notnormal

We get asked all the time how we deal with the cost of the adhesive pads and blades that wear out so fast and our replay is... we dont use a cricut!

graywoulf

I'll just stick to my old Roland PNC-1000 plotter cutter. :rolleyes: I like that it sounds like R2-D2. No, really on the Cricut thing... makes me think about that saying about leading a horse to water. :)

SignosaurusRex

Was it by any chance "Johnny & Hun's" bar in Reading Pennsylvania?

Horse replies... "It's in the Genes".
"........."............ "I was First Place at Santa Anita today and they gave the trophy to the Jack-Ass that was riding me".
"........."............. "Anyone seen Gino"?
"........." ............."Got Salt?"

;)

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We get asked all the time how we deal with the cost of the adhesive pads and blades that wear out so fast and our replay is... we dont use a cricut!

Cricut has brought the Gilette (razor blade) business model to the 21st century.

To the OP, the craft fair market is a bloody one at that. You're better off doing the stuff a Cricut can't touch.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Was it by any chance "Johnny & Hun's" bar in Reading Pennsylvania?

Horse replies... "It's in the Genes".
"........."............ "I was First Place at Santa Anita today and they gave the trophy to the Jack-*** that was riding me".
"........."............. "Anyone seen Gino"?
"........." ............."Got Salt?"

;)

It's in the "special".
It's on the roof...... 100 proof.
I'll have another.
It's in your eye..... rock and rye.
I need another.
It's on my back....... Johnny Walker Black

Everyone should believe in something......... I believe I'll have another drink.

Remember those days at Johnny & Hons ?? We all rocked that place that weekend.​

KMC

Graphic Artist
i joined one of the FB groups for 'those' home craft cutters and i get a hell of a giggle when they post crap ....hey i just designed this what do you think, i cringe every time spacing is out kerning is out and 30 different fonts are used

Robert Gruner

I have some friends who are into the "craft fair" business (slash hobby).
They come to me on occasion for templates, and as of late, vinyl decals for these Glass Blocks (with cute sayings). I knew they were interested in buying a cutter for some time now.

Well, I finally ordered a new cutter to replace my old 24" graphtec. The old girl is running flawless (thats how I know its a girl), but it was time to go larger with all the bells an whistles. So I give them a call and make them a screaming deal (or so I thought) of $300 for the cutter including an old version of flexisign.

To my surprise, they poo-poo'd my offer and explained how they researched the Cricut, and all the the materials it would cut that my plotter would not. One of their major interests was the ability of the cricut to cuy LEATHER and some kind of WOOD?

Well darn. I wish I would have knew about the cricut before I ordered my new graphtec.
(yes Im being sarcastic)
LOL...Enola, you do know that Graphtec manufactures the CriCut..It is probably their largest revenue generator :)