• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crop mark or Lamination?

STAR Graphix

NEWBIE TO PRINTING!
I just got a Roland sp 540, semi used. The guy bought everything new in march and sold out. I had the tech guy come up and set up the computer and everything, check and calibrate last wed, everything worked great.

Didnt use on thursday, but printed all day friday. Laminated early saturday and went to cut and all of the cut lines were off. I used the manual to re adjust everything on Monday....same problem. I had the tech guy to come back today, any new prints printed, removed then reloaded cut fine(unlaminated), any old prints from friday wouldnt work. Said it was possibly in how it was ripped before final adjustments. I printed after he left,let it outgas just laminated and re-loaded. and back to the same problem. up and down movements cut fine.. side to side is off.

I cant tell you the "exact" specs on the Laminate except that it is glossy, but i was wondering if that the shine on the lam might be throwing the sensor off? or if I am overlooking something obvious. But keep in mind it prints and cuts fine without a laminate.

Thanks in Advance!

Headhunterx

Take a black sharpie and go over the crop marks after you laminate and see if that helps any, that is what I do otherwise my CJ500 cannot see the crop marks.

Richard

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
You not need a sharpie..........that is if your cutter can't read the marks and if you have this problem I would hope that your RIP software has a setting that you can adjust to make these marks darker!

Questions for you?

Are your PRINTS the correct size?
Is your cutter cutting correctly?
What RIP software are you using?
What cutter are you using?
What cutting software are you using for your print-to-cut?
What type of vinyl/laminate?
How soon after laminating are you cutting?
Are you using heat when laminating?
Who is the tech? Just some guy or a tech from a good company?

Some other things too............

Make sure you have a GOOD blade, not a cheap one. Yes, this makes a difference!
Slow the speed down, you are cutting thru a lot of material.

See there is a lot more to printing..................LOL

Dave L.

What kind of software and rip are you using? If you have the Roland rip, try it through that if you haven't already. How old is the machine?

Dave L.

If you want to eliminate the gloss factor, you can put post-it over the crops before you laminate. then cut just the laminate/ post-it note and seperate it. That will let the sensor read the actual print.

chopper

I have had this happen and what I did was go to menu up arrow to print cut adjust ans select auto I usually do this several times a week depending on how much printing I am doing.
//chopper

ChiknNutz

I have had this issue if I have the "center on width" enabled. This feature centers the print between the pinch rollers, and you'd think it would be smart enough to know that when cut, but if I have that enabled the cut is off sice to side. I believe you use VersaWorks, which likely has a similar feature, and I'm using Wasatch SoftRip. I don't know why this is an issue and if it still exists in the latest updates I've got, but I'm always careful to keep it OFF.

EndlessOptions

Take a felt squeegee and rub hard over the laminate that is on top of the crop marks to take some of the gloss out of it, Works every time for me!

B Snyder

Star...if you are using VersaWorks do not click "get media width" before cutting the job.

I use Versaworks and almost always center my print on the media. I don't know if GXSignCo's experiences cutting problems when centering is enabled because he is using Wasatch SoftRip but its no problem for me with VersaWorks.

biggieg

I had the same thing happen to me today. Our SP540 was delivered and setup this Monday. I tried to cut a laminated job today (centered) and it was off side to side. I am still waiting for the Roland Tech to call me back.

B Snyder

I had the same thing happen to me today. Our SP540 was delivered and setup this Monday. I tried to cut a laminated job today (centered) and it was off side to side. I am still waiting for the Roland Tech to call me back.
What RIP are you using?

Capital Signs

I printed our first Print and contour cut on Our Mutoh 1614, and graphtec FC8000, man, about DEAD on. No prolems. THe only problem I ran into was MY FAULT!

I loaded the media wrong. It printed object horizontal, and I fed into Graphtec vertical, wondering why it wouldnt read the registration marks. What a Dumb A$$ I felt like after I realized it... Loaded correctly, and man, beautiful! First time I ever done one of those and man was I happy with the results!

Just my .02 cents...

STAR Graphix

Thanks Everyone!

I'll try to answer everyones questions....

I'm using Versaworks on sp 540 bought new in March 08,the tech is very good. Was told about him through several other sign guys in the area.

I printed several more small jobs, Laminated some, didnt others and they all seem t be doing fine now. I cut out the lam on a few didnt seem to make a difference. For a while i got to thinking something was off with the crop mark placement on the 4-5 foot runs.(longest so-far).

I think B Snyder has it figured out...... after reloading I quit hitting "get media width" and it seems to be working fine. as far as I know, that is the only thing different I did. I tryed not choosing center on media... that was way off...

Sorry it took awhile to reply, but once it started working right, I didnt want to stop it! Thanks again for everyones input/opinions, I got 4 5' prints Im about to laminate and cut, keep ya fingers crossed.

cdiesel

It sounds to me like a setting was getting changed in between print/cut. Even changing the width or moving the pinch rollers can *sometimes* throw things off. Whatever you do, you definitely don't want to make any changes that will cause you to reRIP the file.

B Snyder

I think B Snyder has it figured out...... after reloading I quit hitting "get media width" and it seems to be working fine. as far as I know, that is the only thing different I did. I tryed not choosing center on media... that was way off...

Sorry it took awhile to reply, but once it started working right, I didnt want to stop it! Thanks again for everyones input/opinions, I got 4 5' prints Im about to laminate and cut, keep ya fingers crossed.

Cool. Glad it worked for you. I don't know why hitting "get media width" causes the cutting problem but it was definitely the only thing that I found to cause cutting alignment to be off.
I almost always center the print on the media because I use 50" wide laminate on my 54" media. Centering the prints on the media has never caused any cutting alignment issues for me.