• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crop Marks on Reflective

David Snider

When we have a print/cut job on reflective, our Mimaki plotter does not read the crop marks. We have come up with a solution of white squares that we cut out a window for the crop mark. We measured the size of the crop mark and cut it out of the square. Then place it over the crop mark on the reflective material. It works great but is kind of a time waster.

Any other ideas here?

Attachments

• crop marks.jpg
    crop marks.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 246

signage

Dave you may want to try to use a small piece of mask over the crop mark then redraw with a sharpie! just an idea!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Another way is to lay some rectangles of white vinyl in the area where you know the registration marks are going to be. Let the marks print on the white vinyl. You need to be sufficiently familiar with your equipment to have a pretty good idea of just where the marks are going to be located. You might have to bump your margins a bit to fit them in. Or not, depending. The pieces of white have to be large enough to contain whatever search area your system uses.

signswi

Cut down on the ambient light. Less light = less reflection. Hold some black showcard over the cutter while it tries to sense the crop marks in order to cut down on the intensity of the overhead lighting. That's what we do for our CG-160FX.

eddesign

crop marks

been running reflective with crop marks for five years and never had a problem with detecting crop mark. Have you tried running material in heavy mode.

Gary1

Not reading crop marks on reflective.

I have the same problem. Called my vendor who I bought the printer from,
(Mimaki CJV 130) and because I didn't buy their reflective vinyl they couldn't help me due to differences in reflectivity. Hmmm. I do know the real reason behind this.

Now, I first tried immediate cutting after printing option with an arrow printed for direction. It read the first mark but it seemed to me that the arrow was in the way because the laser was going back and forth. Then I redid the crop marks without the arrow for direction and it worked. I did it again with the arrow, and it worked. Then I did a print and cut later. Depicting the event of printing then laminating, then cutting. It never found the first crop mark at all. Placing show cards, and closing lights, and placing crop mark stickers clealy indicates a problem with the Mimaki setup not doing it's job when printing and cutting reflective film. I have an ambulance coming up soon, I will be doing this with my Gerber Edge because the Mimaki system is not reliable at this time. Mimaki, please feel free to add any comments or sound suggestions.

omgsideburns

If I'm printing/cutting something like perf, I'll usually stick down a piece of tape or vinyl where the marks are printing. Like.. I let the first pass hit lay down my tape, and try not to forget the marks at the end.