• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cultured Stone Wall

drew_psg

We went out to install some stud mounted Gemini letters on an interior cultured stone wall. We have done this before and while it took some time to get everything level, we got the letters up no problem. However, with this wall, when we drilled the hole and pulled the drill bit out, the rock would come off as well. Obviously, this won't work, so I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas or ways that they have dealt with this issue? I was thinking of incorporating a pan face panel behind the letters or maybe an acrylic standoff, but I am worried this will not alleviate all issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 325

KMC

Graphic Artist
chat with the client and advise them the wall is not suitable as it was not installed correctly by the contractor, stones should not come out like that (depending on how far away the location is to your shop also advise there may be another install charge)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
What drill are you using? It looks like one of those Chinese/Alibaba deals and also looks entirely too large and powerful for what you're doing. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the stone installation.

Last edited:

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Ya if the stone was properly installed it won't come off the wall so easily. With that being said you can break the stone, especially if you are drilling close to an edge, if you are using to large of a hammer drill. Sometimes the more aggressive hammer can knock the stones loose as well. The larger drills typically 'hit' much harder than say a standard 18 volt cordless drill with hammer function. Being an interior installation on drywall they probably did not install concrete board and mortar the stone properly. If they bonded it straight to the drywall that is more than likely the reason it is not staying put. I would try a less aggressive hammer drill or even a non hammering drill with a masonry bit. Faux stone is usually pretty soft and you aren't going to have a block wall behind it to drill thru either.

visual800

as others said use a regular 18volt and start small hole first and then move to larger, you have to baby it as these stones are fragile

Billct2

Yep what others said. And if one pops off,glue it back.
But I would discuss it with the client so they know what's going on.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
A bit of a gripe here....

You guys that are just immediately blaming whoever installed the wall are jumping the gun.

Have you guys drilled much for letters in these types of walls? I do it on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis. And even when I use a small 12v SDS, stones come loose.

Did you happen to see the size of SDS drill the installer used? It looks severely over-sized and over-powered for the job. It also looks like a cheapie Chinese drill which tells me the installer doesn't do much of this type of installation or he'd have better, more suitable tools. That's not an insult, it's just a fact.

Have you thought about the effect this might have on the poor guy that installed the wall if he's free from blame in this?

Because the way I see this playing out is the individual who posted this takes your completely unfounded advice, goes back to his customer and just throws blame on whoever installed the wall. His customer in turn calls the stone guy back and blames him, makes him redo it or refuses to pay for the work that was done. And all because a couple/few people that mainly deal with printing and vinyl are sitting behind their computers giving advice on something they probably have very little experience in.

Johnny Best

Wow, Moze, never saw you put a gripe in before and there have been thousands of bad advice install methods given on here.
Some people have a hard time hitting when a curveball is thrown and look for help in the wrong places or blame it on the pitcher for throwing it. I hope he post some pics when the job is complete and how he solved his hitting problems.
Good eye Moze on seeing the Chinese drill sitting there, would have never noticed that unless it was pointed out. But installation is your bread and butter so you know those things better than the people sitting at their computers doing vinyl and printing.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Wow, Moze, never saw you put a gripe in before and there have been thousands of bad advice install methods given on here.
Some people have a hard time hitting when a curveball is thrown and look for help in the wrong places or blame it on the pitcher for throwing it. I hope he post some pics when the job is complete and how he solved his hitting problems.
Good eye Moze on seeing the Chinese drill sitting there, would have never noticed that unless it was pointed out. But installation is your bread and butter so you know those things better than the people sitting at their computers doing vinyl and printing.

If I see install advice that's glaringly incorrect, I typically chime in. This is one of those cases. For people to just state unequivocally that the guy that installed the stone is to blame and that the OP should tell their customer that is pretty crappy. All I picture is some guy working hard trying to make a living and probably did a perfectly fine job on the wall, and a couple of armchair quarterbacks are going to throw blame on him with zero proof. Meanwhile there's this oversized SDS drill sitting there that will easily knock those stones off even if installed correctly. But yeah, let's just blame the stone guy. Maybe it's because I'm self employed but before you potentially affect someones livelihood and means of living, you should have all of the facts. A decent amount of experience int he area you're giving advice wouldn't be a bad thing either...

jwilde

Not implying the "Jackhammer" that was used didn't cause the issue, but for fun-sies, what tools do you use that DON'T come from china?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Not implying the "Jackhammer" that was used didn't cause the issue, but for fun-sies, what tools do you use that DON'T come from china?

That wasn't really my point in mentioning 'Chinese'. My point was that the only place I could find an SDS like that was on sites like Alibaba and I was unable to locate the impact rating. So if the installer was using an SDS and has no idea how much impact force it has, that also sheds more light on the whole situation.