• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom Dirt Bike Graphics

BobbyFosson

Have several customers using the Convex 6mil Matte or gloss and printing on it with the Roland VersaCamm's, Gerber Edge or Summa DC3 and then laminating it with a 12 mil ProShield from Convex. Die cutting after that and it sticks like a champ.

Motocross decals, football helmets, hardhat decals, etc... Really fun stuff to work with.

Steve G.

I race motocross myself, Iv'e been doing my bikes, and all my friends want me to make graphics for them.

I've been trying to do this and researching it for four years.

Flame is 100% correct with all his info About the materials and how to get templates.

convex told me they're working on a template package, but i haven't heard anything lately.

bottom line: it is exactly the market that Flame Described. Big investment and you need to sell volume.

The only way one offs work for me, is by buying blank backgrounds and putting cast on top of that. It'll stick but won't be scratch resistant like the thick laminate.

steve

jeph4e

Thanks!

We now sell our own version of Hunt Graphics templates and thanks for the kind words about Convex.

BTW:
Convex High-Bond works on the plastics for ATVs & Bikes
Convex GearWrap is for Helmets and gear

Jeff

jeph4e

Graphics...

The full template CD is $850 and covers a lot of ground in either plt files (for Edge Systems) or eps files.

Ask for Paul at 1800-232-8018 x 14 for the details.

Thanks!

jeph4e

Templates

Yes, they are almost the same templates. We resell them as a service to folks that buy Convex, but best I can tell they are the same cost as elsewhere.

This is not a money maker for us, but there are some hardy souls out there that want to be Flame's competition. So, we'll package a Gerber system with the templates, motocross foil colors, and Convex and they'll set up shop.

<rant>

Some side notes (Flame can check me on this if I'm outta line):
1) There is still plenty of growth left in the motocross decal market but you really have to understand that it is not easy nor cheap.

2) The real growth is in taking away business from screen printers by doing custom or semi-custom graphics... (75-80% of MX decal market is in screen-printed, mass market graphics)

3) Motocross riders *all* want custom graphics but may not have the money to afford them... but if your design (or their design) is right... they will *find* the money. If you want something, you'll make it happen.

4) Failing to get custom graphics, they want cool/semi-unique graphics - hence a great money maker

5) Get the colors right... the wrong orange or lime is a big deal

6) Work+Art. If it sounds like a lot of work... it is.

7) If you want to get ahead of the curve - Look at ATVs. It isn't as "sexy" as MX but the ATV market dwarfs mx. There's lots of room in that market for semi-custom decals. Or look at custom helmet decals...

</rant>

Last edited:

jkkt

That is what I was afraid of, from personal experience I can tell you that many of these templates are incorrect, poorly done and some are missing parts. We finally scrapped them and made our own templates. It wasn't worth the time to "redo", tweak and check every template. And when we contacted him about the issues they were never resolved. You might want to look towards another source. In my opinion those are not worth the money.

And what happened to the limited area of distribution Hunt promised? He said he was limiting the number and areas of the country where these could be sold, to protect those who had purchased them some what. I guess that is no longer valid if you guys are now offering his cd?

Yes, they are almost the same templates. We resell them as a service to folks that buy Convex, but best I can tell they are the same cost as elsewhere.

This is not a money maker for us, but there are some hardy souls out there that want to be Flame's competition. So, we'll package a Gerber system with the templates, motocross foil colors, and Convex and they'll set up shop.

jeph4e

Don't Know

Not sure what your distro deal was so can't comment on it.

We've only sold a couple of these and really look on it as an add-on value. We do not have very many to sell at this time and do not expect that many more.

I've heard the comments before on his templates but also heard good things too. As this is the only game in town, there's not much choice in the market.

I'd love to see ATV templates too...

bmortvedt

Premium Subscriber
Getting Back to "Flame'

We have been doing graphics for a few of the pro snow x teams out there. We learned this year to use a 'hi-tack' material to keep it stickin'.

We have 3M and it seem to work well.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I took extra time and made my own.

JacktheBear3

Just a note.....

I have little experience with atv / bike / mx decals, but figured vinyls gotta stick to this stuff great. What I am saying is, I wish I woulda read this thread months ago when I did my first of many atv plastic parts projects... my failure rate was relatively high.

Being new in the business I assumed it was more likely and installation issue rather than a vinyl/material issue. I regularly use the 751 cast oracal product and on all these projects I did the same. I'm sure I'm in for some durability issues in the future, but I feel we have solved our installation issue.

I spoke to the people at Rapidtac.... they were kind enough to help me with some experiences they had with similar projcets.

The rapidprep followed by a cleaning with rapidtac solved my adhesion issues on plastic while using 751 Cast vinyl. I have had the same customers install the same decals on the same bikes using the product and they have told me that was the trick.... now they have only been on the bikes for a month or two, but I found a new love for professional prep products as well as a respect for rapidtac