• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom Reflective Engine Turn Lettering...again.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
It looks like 3 years ago ATHENNES (Alan) was able to come up with a way to come up with a way to mimic gold leaf engine turn (Reflective Gold Leaf.png). I'm trying to do the same, and I reached out to him, but it appears he is no longer on the forum, and/or perhaps, on this planet. His FB page dried up and it looks like his phone number was assigned to someone else.
What I am attempting to do is similar but get it closer to a Pierce job, (see Engine.pdf). They did this for a pumper they sold a few years ago and now the same department wants their trucks to look the same.

Question is: has anyone been able to make something close and if they aren't even close to area, would they care to share?

I couldn't get anything close and I'm at my wits end. I'm not a Photoshop guru, but more Illustrator, so this has given me a bit of a headache. Any help or even a finger pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated....

Attachments

• Reflective Gold Leaf.png
    Reflective Gold Leaf.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Engine.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 179

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It looks like 3 years ago ATHENNES (Alan) was able to come up with a way to come up with a way to mimic gold leaf engine turn (Reflective Gold Leaf.png). I'm trying to do the same, and I reached out to him, but it appears he is no longer on the forum, and/or perhaps, on this planet. His FB page dried up and it looks like his phone number was assigned to someone else.
What I am attempting to do is similar but get it closer to a Pierce job, (see Engine.pdf). They did this for a pumper they sold a few years ago and now the same department wants their trucks to look the same.

Question is: has anyone been able to make something close and if they aren't even close to area, would they care to share?

I couldn't get anything close and I'm at my wits end. I'm not a Photoshop guru, but more Illustrator, so this has given me a bit of a headache. Any help or even a finger pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated....
On what media are you attempting to print this pattern?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We used to have a roll here that I think was either made by Leo's (now out of business) or Gerber, but now discontinued. I can't see any current vendors that offer this product, but it wouldn't be that hard to set up and print it.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Why don't you just use actual engine turn vinyl? You can get it about anywhere

Problem is with most engine turn vinyl, the turns are layered by row. What Alan did and what I am attempting to replicate from what he and Pierce did is an engine turn spaced out and following the letter as if it was actually applied directly as gold leaf on the truck.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Problem is with most engine turn vinyl, the turns are layered by row. What Alan did and what I am attempting to replicate from what he and Pierce did is an engine turn spaced out and following the letter as if it was actually applied directly as gold leaf on the truck.
I don't see it. If it is done by hand then each job should be unique somewhat but it should still be linear? You're worried about matching a pattern to make it look the same but are contemplating some hacky type workaround that will look nowhere like real engine turn? No offense, I just don't get it. I'd think they would be more concerned with having it shiny, look legit and last. If you can turn a reflective material, why can't you gold leaf it and do the same?

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Good eye. That's the key.

JR's

What Fred said. I have used it is very nice.
If you want to manipulate it yourself you could get a plug-in called eye candy 7 for Photoshop and it would make it a lot easier trying to duplicate a gold turned look.
gold.jpg
es/
it looks like it's exposure software. Once you get the pattern you're happy with print on reflective white the one you're looking for is called brushed metal

Gary1

SignLab has a fill thats large and small engine turn. I’ve used it a few times and it look good. I’ve even taken a photo of Quick Gold and used that as a fill in SignLab and it also turned out nice.

JR's

Gary, what sign lab are you using? I would like to find the fill that's small and Large gold in my sign lab. Any help is greatly appreciative sorry for stealing the original post.