• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Customer asked for this and I'm not sure?

Hi everyone.
I have a question on what to do for a possible job coming up. I do have the job it's just how to approach it. Maybe I should say direction to go. He wants larger than life size cutouts of himself and from some good material. That sort of cuts out 10mm coroplast. I'm thinking along the lines of 10 mm ACM. I just don't have a way to cut it out. He wants 4 of them and double sided. I was going to print and cut on my Roland, but I think I should get the pieces cut out first. My problem is what comes first? Cutting it out before hand and trying to get the vinyl to match or putting the vinyl down and sending them off to be cut afterwards? I don't see how I can put the vinyl in the correct place on the reverse side and still be precise?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:banghead:

jwlllpl

Will the backside be his backside or just his front side mirrored? If its mirrored - obviously easiest - just add a cut contour. Find someone local with a cnc router or router by hand using a cheap piece of vinyl plotted with the cut contour as template. If its his backside too take really reaaly good pictures to work from. Good luck getting the pose perfect!!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would contour cut the man, apply the vinyl and a router would work or what about a jigsaw? That would likely work also. Sounds like a fun project, I'm sure you can make it work!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Why can't you cut it with a jigsaw? If you take your time and build some bleed in your file you will be just fine.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why can't you cut it with a jigsaw? If you take your time and build some bleed in your file you will be just fine.

I agree w/ this. I've cut ACM with jig saw and use a very fine tooth blade. If I'm doing it after the vinyl is applied, I just put masking tape around the edges so it doesn't scratch.

ikarasu

Why not treat it like any sign? Get the alupanel cut to shape... Then print the guy with some bleed and apply the vinyl to the sign. We do it all the time... You could cut out the guy and then apply it... But it's not necessary, if you add bleed you still need to trim it... If you don't add bleed it'll move when applying and not be perfect.

Cut to shape, print vinyl with a quarter inch bleed . Align, apply, use a kitchen knife to trim the edges

Val47

I'm curious how you're going to prop it up... Single sided would have an easil back. What's your plan to make it stand?

It will be the same image but mirrored like you said. I have a guy who I can take these to have them cut out but I don't know if before or after will be easier for him or me. I'm thinking towards having him cut them out first. If it was the coroplast I could've done it with a jig saw. I've done that before after simplifying the edge. I'm also thinking about leaving maybe 1/2" all the way around to make it easier to fudge it in.
There are too many little areas that must be spot on as there are 4 of these but 8 considering both sides so hand doing it isn't precise enough in my opinion.

I've contacted another member here who has a flatbed but is not a merchant member and he said he really shouldn't do it because of that. He said he'll help me if I can't find a merchant member here to do it for a decent price. Besides he's only about 20 miles from me. That's the clincher for me.

As for standing it up, we're leaving a solid piece of material between the person's legs to bolt a tube to which will go in the ground about 30". At the top (probably near the ear area) there will also be a small tube attaching to the sign he will be standing aside of for more stability. I don't approve of this technique but the customer designed this setup and is installing it. Out of my hands.

Val47

In my experience, It would be easier to line up vinyl on both sides to a custom shape than to print both sides on a FB then cut - and have it perfectly line up. Have your substrate contour cut first then apply the vinyl with some bleed to trim. I'd use a 9mm blade, not a kitchen knife :)
How big are these? that you can't mount them by hand?
What kind of shape have you got that will work mirrored?
How are you going to make it stand up - still waiting on an answer to that one.
I ask these questions, because it sounds like you have never done something like this before. There are a lot of design and production logistics - besides how to print it and cut it.

rjssigns

Cheap vinyl template of the man.
Apply cheap vinyl template to 1/2" MDF.
Cut carefully around cheap vinyl template with fine tooth jig saw blade.
If needed touch up any areas so they fit the cheap vinyl template.
Use carpet tape(double sided) and stick the MDF to your substrate.
Buy a really good top bearing (templating) router bit, a whoop ass router(if ya ain't got one) and go to town.

Stupid simple and infinitely repeatable in the comfort of your own shop.;)

Hi Val47. Maybe you missed my last two entries.
I am working on a deal to have them flatbed printed by a local shop who happens to be a member here. He's given me some guidance as he said he has done these in the past on various materials.

These are almost 7' tall and 25" wide.
Mirrored for reverse print.

Val47

As for standing it up, we're leaving a solid piece of material between the person's legs to bolt a tube to which will go in the ground about 30". At the top (probably near the ear area) there will also be a small tube attaching to the sign he will be standing aside of for more stability. I don't approve of this technique but the customer designed this setup and is installing it. Out of my hands.

A pole between his legs? That should look classy. :rolleyes:
...almost as classy as the tripod