• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut acrylic for standoffs?

gnubler

I'm quoting on a project to add more letters to an existing logo installed on an interior wall. Existing sign is 1/4" thick acrylic standing off the wall with what looks like clear acrylic pieces glued to the backs and cut smaller than the letter shapes so they aren't noticeable. Is this the best way to project 1/4" acrylic from a wall? I order these from Gemini and they only offer tape or flush stud mount for 1/4" acrylic. I'd like to be able to match the existing display. Here's some images...it was tricky to get clear shots due to furniture and a large plant in the way.

20230515_151923.jpg 20230515_151949.jpg 20230515_151958.jpg

weyandsign

If you must duplicate that exact same mounting method, you have 2 options.
Option A: Find who made the sign originally.
Option B: Add an inline to your letters, and order it as a second set, with tape on the faces and backs if possible, and a rigid stencil pattern. And tape them to the backs of the letters manually.

gnubler

Option A: Find who made the sign originally.
And do what, give them the job?

Was wondering if the acrylic standoffs are glued or taped to the backs of the letters - is one better than another? Then double face tape on the backs of the standoffs to attach to the wall.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Make sure you clarify with your customer that there may be some slight color differences, etc with what you create. I usually give the comparison to painting a wall - “patches” will almost always be noticeable. Other than that, it doesn’t look too difficult - what Wey said above - get the exact thickness of the current spacers. I would recommend stud mounts on the back of the spacers. That looks like wallpaper that may not take adhesive too well.

gnubler

Good point about the wallpaper, I didn't consider that. Makes the install a bit more complicated then...having a drill template for the acrylic standoff pieces, and getting the black acrylic letters lined up straight. I think I'm just going to suggest a flush stud mount, and skip the standoffs. Customer is on a tight budget anyway.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks more like rfp. Double sided tape will stick to it. We've done plenty of those. The letters just have some nice clear spacers on the back. Glue 'em or tape 'em, whatever floats your boat. We used tape with a dollop of silicon here and there.

gnubler

Did you mean FRP? (Fiberglass reinforced panels...I had to look it up).

Would it be wise to do a tape test first to make sure things will stick? Or am I overthinking it, as usual...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I've done multiple sets like these. They're acrylic letters with smaller acrylic pieces cut for the 'spacers'. Easy enough to do. Tape-mount just like any other set of letters. The green and yellow pieces in your pic appear to be back sprayed.

Not sure what your question is other than if it's the best way, which is obviously subjective. It looks nicer than studs with spacers/sleeves but it's more expensive, so it's not done often.

JBurton

Signtologist
The green and yellow pieces in your pic appear to be back sprayed.
I was thinking they appeared to be vinyled from the back side, which made me reckon the reason for using so much acrylic to make a spacer is to keep the vinyl from failing from the weight of the acrylic.

I'd run these out of acrylic and glue blocks to the back to thread studs into, or cut from thicker acrylic and thread them in, I hate threading .25", always worried the guys will blow out the front when threading the studs in.

Johnny Best

Looks like all the spacers have polished edges and your not set up for that. Gemlnl would laser cut those standoffs. You have to do the artwork for the template and not have them painted but leave clear. Looks like the ends are rounded also.

gnubler

It looks nicer than studs with spacers/sleeves but it's more expensive, so it's not done often.
I mentioned that to the customer and said I would quote it with the spacers vs flush mount on the wall.

I appreciate all the suggestions.