• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cuttable Paint Mask?

NewSignmaker

I have a customer who has a white car. A good portion of the car will be painted black. On the part that will be painted black he wants me to cut out his company name in vinyl and stick it on the car. The body shop will then paint over it and when finished will remove the vinyl leaving his company name in the original white paint. What would you recommend using for material for this job? A paint mask or a regular vinyl? Thanks!

Custom_Grafx

That doesn't make sense...

Won't the body shop be priming the surface before repainting?

Wouldn't you do what you are saying AFTER it's been painted black?

Why not just put white vinyl over the new black paint and avoid masking/painting altogether?

If they really want it painted, why not wait till it's all done, then create the mask, then get them to paint it white?

Jillbeans

While you can use cuttable paint mask (Oramask works pretty well for me as well as for my automotive painter friend) as CG above mentions, won't the vehicle need to be primed, etc. during this process?
Love....Jill
PS
Avoid Avery mask, as it can melt with "hotter" paints, and not sure how well Gerber mask works with automotive paints but it's brittle and really a PITA to work with.

NewSignmaker

I see fellers has the 810, 811, and 813 oramask. Would all of these be good? Are they all cuttable and then can me premasked and installed like regular vinyl?

J Hill Designs

the thing about paint mask is you have to peel it while the paint is wet - they will not be able to prime, scuff, prime, scuff, finish, dry, clear and then still remove the paint mask...theres no way it will work

edit: well I guess it would come off before the clear, but you get the point

Jillbeans

I fricking hate painting with a paint mask.
If you peel too soon it makes a mess.
If you wait too long the edges chip.
I am sooo glad I can do it by hand, it's lots faster for me.
What I do do when I use a mask is lay it down, trace with a pencil, then peel off and handletter. Not really an option with automotive paint tho as the pencil can leave scratches.