• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutter not closing some letters and shapes

jsburk0

I have a graphtec ce5000-60 vinyl cutter and it does a fairly good job with the exception of closing some letters and shapes. I have read a couple posts about getting signgo and using the overcut setting. I currently use Illustrator with the Cutting Master 2 software plugin to cut vinyl. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and have found a solution. Oh, also I use a 45 degree blade. Will better software with possibly an overcut function, using a different degree blade, or is there another setting that I'm not aware of. Would appreciate any help.

Jim Doggett

Definitely sounds like the blade offset is too high. Check the default specification, and be sure the enhanced overcut is enabled.

My $0.02,

Jim

jiarby

try oiling the piston..it is probably sticking. The blade is starting to move before it all the way down causing the un-cut spots. The CE THINKS it made the cut, but the blade was stuck.

Attachments

• oilme.jpg
    oilme.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 161

sinetist

Don't know if this is what's happening to you but when I first got my Graphtec it was doing that on quite a few letter shapes. I discovered that the way it came was set up for pen plotting (the first number on the display was #2). Since I changed that to a #1 (for blade cutting) everything has been fine since.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
try oiling the piston..it is probably sticking. The blade is starting to move before it all the way down causing the un-cut spots. The CE THINKS it made the cut, but the blade was stuck.

This most likely is your problem but one, it's not a piston and two, don't oil it. Blow it out with air, oil will just make a nasty sticky mess. If you simply have to lubricate this mechanism just use a little, as in a tiny amount, of graphite. A contaminated tool mechanism. especially the up/down part, is the number one cause of incomplete and otherwise flakey cutting. Just blow it out.

It's not the offset setting unless you've recently changed it for no good reason. If so then it might be, but still, probably not. Offset, once set, doesn't change.