• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting galvanized traffic posts

What type of tool do you guys use to cut this type of aluminum traffic post? I am purchasing 7 ft but client wants them cut in half.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I'm old and have a lot of tools so anything but the hack saw. Moze's blade will set you back a pretty penny but if you have a Sawzall a good blade is cheaper, easier to change out, and get er done quick enough. Chopping one post in half isn't worth a $60 blade unless you have it on hand.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Regular fine tooth blade on a chop saw will cut them, but I would also get a better blade if doing many. Hacksaw, bandsaw, sawzall will all do the job though. How many are we talking about?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Jester1167 Agreed, for one post, whip out a recip saw. He asked what we used and mentioned "them", plural. So if he's doing a bunch, those blades are a dream on aluminum and pay for themselves quickly.

Then again, he mentioned galvanized aluminum, which exists but not sure if aluminum is what he is even cutting....

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Totally agree Moze.

The blade Moze is talking about has a 0-degree rake so it is safe to cut aluminum. A regular blade is dangerous because it can grab and pull the blade deeper into the cut and often throw a piece through the shop.

Another safe alternative is an aluminum oxide cutting wheel at 10 dollars for the chop saw but they are slow compared to the blade Moze suggested.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Sounds like this is once in a blue moon. Cut 1 in half for 2 posts with a $10 hacksaw. Stick the ugly end in the ground. Yes there are better tools but why waste the money?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Jester1167 Agreed, for one post, whip out a recip saw. He asked what we used and mentioned "them", plural. So if he's doing a bunch, those blades are a dream on aluminum and pay for themselves quickly.

Then again, he mentioned galvanized aluminum, which exists but not sure if aluminum is what he is even cutting....

Good catch, steel is probably what he is referring to. In that case, abrasive saw, bandsaw, cold cut saw or something along those lines.

signbrad

What type of tool do you guys use to cut this type of aluminum traffic post? I am purchasing 7 ft but client wants them cut in half.
Your heading says "galvanized." Galvanized posts should always be cut with tools made for cutting steel. A cutoff saw with an abrasive blade for steel cutting works fine for this. Harbor Freight models are cheap, but I don't know how
long they last.
upload_2021-3-25_8-17-0.jpeg

images
Also, a motorized hack saw is a good choice. This one is around 250 at Harbor Freight.

images
They make small hand-held versions, too. I've never used one, but they are cute.

If you are just cutting aluminum tube, any miter saw with an aluminum-cutting blade will work. Or, as mentioned, a reciprocating saw, such as Milwaukee's Sawzall, especially if you are cutting just one or two, whether aluminum or steel. It will work your tool hard if you do very many, especially if they are steel. Also, a cutoff wheel on a hand grinder can do it. Not the fun-est way, though. Having fun is important.

Trivia—only Milwaukee Tool makes a Sawzall®. They invented it in the mid-1950s and advertised it as a power hack saw. They own the name Sawzall as a trademark, but the tool has become so popular among remodelers that some of them call every imitation by the same name (just like they do Skilsaw). So far, Milwaukee has protected the name successfully, but Sawzall may eventually suffer genericide, just like trampoline, escalator and yo-yo.

"Yo-yo" is also a name for a clueless remodeler. Just kidding.

Having fun in Kansas City,
Brad

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Porta Bands are awesome tools to have. You will find way more uses for them than you think you will.

Thank you!!

Your heading says "galvanized." Galvanized posts should always be cut with tools made for cutting steel. A cutoff saw with an abrasive blade for steel cutting works fine for this. Harbor Freight models are cheap, but I don't know how
long they last.
View attachment 152745

images
Also, a motorized hack saw is a good choice. This one is around 250 at Harbor Freight.

images
They make small hand-held versions, too. I've never used one, but they are cute.

If you are just cutting aluminum tube, any miter saw with an aluminum-cutting blade will work. Or, as mentioned, a reciprocating saw, such as Milwaukee's Sawzall, especially if you are cutting just one or two, whether aluminum or steel. It will work your tool hard if you do very many, especially if they are steel. Also, a cutoff wheel on a hand grinder can do it. Not the fun-est way, though. Having fun is important.

Trivia—only Milwaukee Tool makes a Sawzall®. They invented it in the mid-1950s and advertised it as a power hack saw. They own the name Sawzall as a trademark, but the tool has become so popular among remodelers that some of them call every imitation by the same name (just like they do Skilsaw). So far, Milwaukee has protected the name successfully, but Sawzall may eventually suffer genericide, just like trampoline, escalator and yo-yo.

"Yo-yo" is also a name for a clueless remodeler. Just kidding.

Having fun in Kansas City,
Brad