• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Issue On Summa S One D160

PLO

Hi,

We have a summa cutter S1D160 which is only a year and half yrs old. We noticed the vinyl lettering got cut a little awkwardly on the edges recently. It doesn't matter what size of the letters. Wherever the area should be rounded, it didn’t seem to get cut properly. The edge of each letter seems a little bit wobbly. The blade holder was tight securely. We tried slowing down the speed and reducing the force. We also tried to replace the cutting strip & blade but it didn’t help to fix the issue.

It is greatly appreciated if you are able to advise what may cause the issue.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 490
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 274

PLO

Blade issue summa doesnt like aftermarket blades
Thanks for your advise. Blade was original from Belgium. We also changed all 4 pinch rollers and had our dealer's tech to check on the machine. Unfortunately he couldn't figure out what caused the issue.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Check your blade holder.
Is it worn out?

Attachments

• 20210715_104554.jpg
    20210715_104554.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210716_115746.jpg
    20210716_115746.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 217

FrankW

Shure you use the correct knife holder? There are different knife diameters with different knife holders.

In addition, you can try to put a little amount of grease on the inner side of the belt (the side with the toothes) which drives the cutting head, just a little bit.

depps74

I am really sorry to hear this, sorry because the exact same thing happened to me and my brand new SUMMA years ago. I ended up swapping out almost every part, had about 45 hours of customer service logged in and opted to return it, with a nice $1200 restocking fee and shipping. It was the worst plotter I have ever owned and I am on my 4th now. We run a lot of vinyl. I am wondering perhaps if you got the one I returned? I will try and dig up the endless thread I had going about this exact same issue. Rounded lopsided edges, wonky letters, lines misaligned and just pure lemon behavior. As I stated earlier I swapped everything: cut strip, blade, blade holder, carriage holder, and even some motherboard shit. All this under deadline. Luckily my ole faithful sign warehouse QE60 plus ran circles around this POS and we got the jobs done, but IMO SUMMA is shit. Now I know there will be those that dig in to this because they've had different experiences, and Summa is only plotter that can cut the thick stuff, but seeing this post may provide some insight into their quality control. Yes it may be a great machine, but if your the one stiff who is unlucky enough to get the 1 or 2 defects off the line, its not a good company. My advice: Try the basic fixes, it very well could be the strip or blade holder but if not return this wretched thing and get a Graphtec. Don't let CS tap you into swapping parts cause you got a lemon and they don't want it back.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Had a similar problem with a new Ioline plotter 15+ years ago.
Talked to someone in tech support and on an educated guess they sent us a new power supply.
Replaced the power supply and everything was fixed.
Still working flawlessly today.

depps74

Here is the link to the thread I had going complete with pictures and some great advice on fixes, but nothing suggested worked cause it was a POS lemon.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
The cutter you purchased years ago was sold almost immediately after it was returned and evaluated(not an issue on the machine), and hasn't had any issues since it was resold. User error is a lot different than machine failures and the machine was far from a lemon.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

unmateria

Hi... First of all... Open left cover... Turn off the machine... Tighten the allen prisoner screws on all the pulleys. This is usually the cause.

If it doesnt work, clean the linear guide too with isopropil until your fingers doesnt feel anything, and oil it again. Dont use grease if you dont have a correct grease... Use a normal machine oil (no sprays)

If it doesnt work look at the head x-axis belt pulley and the belt.

If it doesnt work, use a hammer... You will feel much better XD

unmateria

The cutter you purchased years ago was sold almost immediately after it was returned and evaluated(not an issue on the machine), and hasn't had any issues since it was resold. User error is a lot different than machine failures and the machine was far from a lemon.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

After looking that post... Its clearly ... Very clearly... Its our lovely illustrator doing what it likes to do... You watch one thing, and it export another. Thats why I only use Corel for preparing to cut things... In illustrator is sooo random what u get... And those photos show very clear.

Next time use illustrator if u want for design but open the eps on corel wireframe mode before cutting it... Im tired of seeing that problem over and over and over during years and years... And people who only use illustrator always say the same... "Hey, it works mostly always"... Ok, and when not?... But theres nothing to do, they will continue using AI for everything lol like in freehand times...

depps74

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
so you say. Your reply is contradicted by my pictures and experience. I could care less because my Graphtec is serving me perfectly ever since returning that mistake of a purchase. I just find it peculiar that ever since that waste of time and money there have been others with the exact same problem.