• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Magnetic material

Tan2020

Hi, I have am pretty new to the printing business so please bear with me

I have a Roland vg2 640

I have just started doing magnetic signs. I print onto vinyl, laminate and then apply to the magnet and hand cut. I have 2 questions,
1. A customer has asked for a circle magnet, how would you do this? My first thought is I could put the magnet into the printer and cut a circle out then apply the vinyl however Im not sure how easy it would be to line up and apply the vinly as a circle?
2. Have you ever printed straight onto the magnet? How long does it last with not having laminate on it?

Thank you in advance

unclebun

We make circles the same way we make rectangular ones. Hand cut. The X-Acto works better than a snap-off blade knife for circles. They key is realizing you don't have to cut all the way through magnetic material to cut it.

AGinVT

A lot of times we try to find a round object that is the size of the magnet and use it as a guide to follow with our blade. They also make large compasses with blade attachments. I haven't purchased one, but if you are going to be doing this a lot and with different sizes, it might be worth a look.

Attachments

• Image 6-8-21 at 9.18 PM.jpg
    Image 6-8-21 at 9.18 PM.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 381

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I print .030 magnet material 30" × 50' roll on a Roland XR 640 then contour cut it on a Graftec FC2250 flat bed cutter perfect everytime. All shapes and sizes.
I started out by printing vinyl and applying it to the maget material which works great also if the customer wants a glossy magnet.

Don McCormick

Hi - I have a ROLAND VG640 and a SUMMA T2 OPOS CAM and do a lot of custom magnets of every size and shape you can imagine. I think the best method for custom shaped magnets is a flatbed uv printer with a flatbed CNC. But I don’t have either of those and below is what works for me.

How you print and cut the magnetic circles depends on how many, application, and how often you need to print them. I am going to leave out solutions with the SUMMA so you have something actionable.

Manually cutting circles will not produce professional results and I would not recommend this method. You probably already know that when you manually cut magnetic sheeting, the cutting blade tends to pull under the cutting edge (because of the density) and produces a “angled” cut edge.

The ROLAND “can” print on magnetic roll material. But it is fussy, inconsistent, and the cost of your spoilage (mistakes) adds up quickly. I went back to printing on permanent peel & stick with over laminate (like you are doing now) and then applying it to the magnetic material. Also, the price of the white-faced magnetic sheeting is cheaper than the printable version.

VERY SHORT RUN

The VG2 can cut magnetic material. It takes some patience and finagling— but it can be done. You will need to replace your cutting blade much quicker than you would for kiss-cutting. And if you over do the pressure or cut passes you will also be replacing your cutting strip. I manually create a dotted “perf-cut” in Adobe Illustrator and then set the pressure, speed, and # of cut passes manually in VersaWorks. Cutting needs to be eyes-on during the entire cutting cycle. The # of passes depends on the thickness of the magnetic material. It’s just trial and error. Since magnetic material snaps on a cut line, I cut about 3/4 of the way through and then snap them out.

LARGE RUNS

OPTION #1: For circles up to 3” I make a celluloid button and apply a ferrous magnet back. The graphic gets printed on a gloss photo paper (on the VG640) and I use the “manual” perf-cut described above to perf-cut them on the ROLAND. It works great. It’s slow, but very accurate and can print/cut unattended. There are many companies that make button making equipment with magnet back options. We use Tecre.

OPTION #2: For magnet sizes 2” up to 17”. If you are going to consistently make hundreds (or thousands) of a specific size and want to use the VG2 640 to print them. Print and laminate and then manually cut to a defined sheet size. I use 11 x 17”. I use a die-cutting system made by Accu-Cut with a Custom Steel Rule die by Custom Shape Pros for the size and shape of the magnet. The die uses a pin system to hold the sheet size (11 x 17”) and align it with the die shape. It cuts the laminated magnetic sheet like butter.

Whether you use Option #1 or #2 depends on size, quantity and application.

Hope this helps and gives you a direction.

RICHARD SIMMONS

Hi, I have am pretty new to the printing business so please bear with me

I have a Roland vg2 640

I have just started doing magnetic signs. I print onto vinyl, laminate and then apply to the magnet and hand cut. I have 2 questions,
1. A customer has asked for a circle magnet, how would you do this? My first thought is I could put the magnet into the printer and cut a circle out then apply the vinyl however Im not sure how easy it would be to line up and apply the vinly as a circle?
2. Have you ever printed straight onto the magnet? How long does it last with not having laminate on it?

Thank you in advance
I have an old DE140 SE SUMMA cutter. I print the vinyl, place it to the magnetic, and the cut it out with a 60° knife with enough force. I cut the circles aprox 90% of the material, and then peel it off vey easy.

Tan2020

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to try cutting it in the printer first see how we go and maybe invest in a olfa circle cutter too.
Another quick question or tip really. Applying the vinyl to the magnet without bubbles it pains me and I dread the thought everytime I get an order, normally my business partner does this side of it but is not around at the moment so it's down to me and it hates me any tips or techniques would be much appreciated. Thanks again

RICHARD SIMMONS

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to try cutting it in the printer first see how we go and maybe invest in a olfa circle cutter too.
Another quick question or tip really. Applying the vinyl to the magnet without bubbles it pains me and I dread the thought everytime I get an order, normally my business partner does this side of it but is not around at the moment so it's down to me and it hates me any tips or techniques would be much appreciated. Thanks again
I think that they are 2 methods: 1.- If you have a laminator, it's easy. 2.- If not, use water with some hands soap and apply. Not big deal !!

Joseph44708

Cant agree with Don McCormick 100%.
I print directly to the magnetic material with a Roland and they are not Fuzzy (see samples in photo attached) and I only loose less than 20 individule pieces. I get a good 600 - 3.5×5.0 magnets from a 30" × 50' roll. I cut them all on a Graphtec FC2250.

Attachments

• 20210609_101636.jpg
    20210609_101636.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 336

Tan2020

H
Cant agree with Don McCormick 100%.
I print directly to the magnetic material with a Roland and they are not Fuzzy (see samples in photo attached) and I only loose less than 20 individule pieces. I get a good 600 - 3.5×5.0 magnets from a 30" × 50' roll. I cut them all on a Graphtec FC2250.
How long would they last on vehicles? I worry the ink will fade or get scuffed without laminating?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I always considered magnets and banners as short-term items and I wouldn't worry about longevity. They will get lost in the car wash before the ink fades. A bigger problem is to make sure you give them care and cleaning instruction so they don't get mad when their paint gets damaged because they left in on for 3 years straight. Good care and cleaning instructions - https://www.rivetingwraps.com/blog/6-steps-to-care-for-your-magnetic-vehicle-signs.

Tan2020

I always considered magnets and banners as short-term items and I wouldn't worry about longevity. They will get lost in the car wash before the ink fades. A bigger problem is to make sure you give them care and cleaning instruction so they don't get mad when their paint gets damaged because they left in on for 3 years straight. Good care and cleaning instructions - https://www.rivetingwraps.com/blog/6-steps-to-care-for-your-magnetic-vehicle-signs.
Thank you

Joseph44708

H

How long would they last on vehicles? I worry the ink will fade or get scuffed without laminating?
I have an American Flag Magnet on my truck now.
Approxmatly 16 months old, still looks good.

Attachments

• 20210612_180032.jpg
    20210612_180032.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 341

Joseph44708

The Roland XR 640 printing magnet material
Roll to Roll. 250 piece run

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210610-224224_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210610-224224_Gallery.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 338