• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting out an image

WOODBS

i have been having trouble getting a clean line cutout of an image in cs2. i have been using the magnetic lasso and then the eraser. someone reccommended using the pen tool, tried but was not very accurate with it. is there a good way for an amateur to do this?? thanks for any help

doublesky

I would suggest going to your local bookstore and getting a book on illustrator. I learned with the H*O*T book (hands on training) which has a CD with lots of tutorials like what you are looking for.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Using the Bezier pen is a fairly easy learning curve. Just click where you want a control point and drag to extend the handles to the length and angle needed for the path to curve. Click without dragging to set a straight line. You can go back later and edit the nodes as to position, and whether the node is a cusp or a smooth curve.

Drawing with a Bezier pen is pretty much an essential skill for anyone in our line of work.

Here's a link to a number of online tutorials.

Again, I would emphasize to you that Illustrator is the place to create this path. It is the premier application for vector drawing. Photoshop has some of the tools needed but is much more awkward to use by comparison for this task.

GK

i have been having trouble getting a clean line cutout of an image in cs2. i have been using the magnetic lasso and then the eraser. someone reccommended using the pen tool, tried but was not very accurate with it. is there a good way for an amateur to do this?? thanks for any help

The magnetic lasso has its moments but if you are looking for a clean cut....thats not the way to go. Depending on what you are trying to cut out the Magic Wand tool might work for you depending on how you set the threshhold at the top. The pen tool is absolutely the best overall for making detailed selections because you can always go back to the path an alter the nodes on it and change how they curve around the contours etc. Your best bet i think would be to use the polygonal lasso tool and click in very precise increments around the image you are trying to extract, don't forget you can always add & subtract parts of your selection by changing the selection type at the top of the toolbar.

There is always the Filter < Extract tool. This gives you the most room for error (Assuming you have CS and up)

craigco

So, are we talking about editing something from a photo? Because I was wondering the same thing.

You use illustrator for this rather than photoshop?

WOODBS

i want the truck with a transparent background and a shadow on the ground.

Attachments

• DSC00388 small.jpg
    DSC00388 small.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 151

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Actually tracing hard edged objects are much easier than soft or complex edges like human hair, trees, etc. I do these alot and although I prefer to trace logos in illustrator, doing photos in photoshop allows you to have the clipping mask and photo in one file rather than an illustrator file with the linked image and then keeping track of both

As for the shadow, you likely will have to do a fake man made shadow as you won't be able to trace the shadow in the pic without picking up the asphalt grass, etc. The edge are too soft

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you require a cutpath or is this just a basic get rid of the background situation? My earlier post had me still thinking you were asking about the cut out baseball photo. If you don't require the cutpath, then Photoshop is the best place to do the silhouetting. I would still use the Bezier pen to do it though. Just set a small section at a time and right click when the path is closed. Select Make Path a Selection and then hit the delete key to remove the selected background section.

The result will be much smoother edges when you print it.

signguy95

I found when using photoshop (if you are not requiring a cut line) that using the paint, eraser, & smudge tool works great with the quick mask to make a feathered edge.

Check out the tutorial on NAPP TV. Episode 89

If you have itune you can subscribe for free. The section is about 10 minutes into the show!

Quick recap if you can't download:

1) turn on quick mask and paint with brush over most areas.
2) use eraser to clean up over paint
3) use the smudge tool to drag out the feathered edges.

This works well for soft edge photos or using to soften a picture's edges!

Jay

WOODBS

great advice guys thanks, i think i did it...i went to youtube and found a visual, i am better at seeing and doing than reading and doing. it was still a lil hard, but better than paying $20 for.yah mon..and yes fred just a print no cut

Attachments

• burgundy 1500 small.jpg
    burgundy 1500 small.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 135

signguy95

Woods, if you get a chance watch that tutorial I was talking about. I have seen some of your threads lately about the halos and what not and I think this would give you a little more perspective on laying something like that truck onto a different background to make it look like it was sitting there!

Looks good on the Chevy!

Jay

signguy95

The tutorial I was talking about is 3 post above your last one.

The threads I was referring to was about the trailer you were doing this might have helped a little? But the tutorial is just above!

Jay

Signs365

Merchant Member
Using the lasso tool is your best bet. It takes a while, but that along with the feather tool should be all you need as long as you're using a high-res file.

WOODBS

wow, how many grounds could a groundchuck chuck...lol. you da man...i am all over that and cheap too