• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Phototex

bulbus_maximus

Hi,

I was hoping I get some inputs in cutting phototex. I have a roland VP540 print and cut machine, and even for the basic decal designs, I am facing lot of problem in cutting as there are loose fabrics which still do not get cut.

I have done dual cutting also, but no luck. I am cutting with 60 degree blades. While weeding, since the loose fabric is still connected between the decal and the weeded portion, it tears from these places. It looks very serated for simple cuts too.

Hope anybody can give some inputs to make decals with phototex.

Thanks
bulbus maximus

bulbus_maximus

I was wondering if the summa T series would help as its a tangential cutter and will follow the direction of the cut path rather than a rotary cutter which will drag along the cut path hence not cutting fully such strong materials like the phototex.

Please help!

Vinylman

My first guess is a problem with the blades you are using. They MUST be new and SHARP!

I use "Kleen Cut" blades a merchant on Signs 101 I believe.

You should also contact Lance a Photo Tex the master distributor. He might be able to assist you. 330/783.0083

TheSnowman

I use Kleen Cut too...but I don't necessarily feel like you MUST HAVE A NEW BLADE. I've had them in for months before and I cut lots of Phototex after they're well beyond new. I just mainly have a hard time finding the right pressure, then after that, I put it on the slowest possible cutting speed. It takes a little while, but it cuts great. I'm using a Mimaki.

bigben

I've cut phototex (complex job) with my summa d160r and a fresh cleancut blades without touching any adjustments. It cut like any other vinyls.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I've cut Phototex on my graphtec. as already stated you need fresh and sharp "clean-cut" blades and go to half speed or lower. On a drag knife it needs the extra few milliseconds it gains running slower to turn the knife against the heavy phototex material. I've made a ton of contour cut decals with our Canon iPF8100 and our Graphtec CE5000-60. Never had an issue once I slowed it down. I've always used clean cut blades.

bulbus_maximus

I have tried really slow speed with new blades. I will change my cutting protection strip since it has had some impacts. Hope this may help.

I hope I dont need to keep changing the blade every so often for just one roll.

Graphtec test on Photo Tex -
FC8000, force at 28 with the correct blade length, on the FC2250, force set to the 30, the extra force is to keep the head down so it won’t skip any threats.
The key is to dial the blade to the right length.
We used both the cb09u and the 15u blades and both work well

Hi Walter,
I am using the Graphtec CB09UA-1 blade. This is the same type that came with my cutter in the beginning, it’s a good all around blade. I do have to change it out more often when cutting your PhotoTex but it’s a small price to pay with this new option.

redbarn

We have experienced the same thing (we have the same machine). Honestly, we just bought a small puma plotter. It does a much better job on cutting most media. We use alot of heat transfer material that requires special blades, settings. If the roland is the only cutter you are using I would suggest buying several blades. Specify each blade for a specific material and change them out accordingly. That has saved me much time and aggravation. Also, plotters just do a better job at cutting, period. You can get one used for next to nothing. I love my roland but we must always have the right tools