• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Cutting Polyethylene Foam Sheets for packaging?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Is anyone into this type of stuff? (After doing some quick research I believe this is a polyethylene foam....)

What is the best way to cut foam inserts so that parts can be dropped in for shipping?

I've attached a picture of an example, what we need to make would be slightly different.

They had these made in China and they just stacked (4) 1/2" thick versions to fill up a box, but we're looking for a solution we can make in-house.

We do have a Summa flatbed cutter but I'm assuming we might need oscillating tools to pull this off?

Alternatively, we might try using foamcore or falcon board but I'm also assuming this would be a lot more $$.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220726_121320.jpg
    20220726_121320.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks guys! Might have to look into another option that we can perhaps prototype in house.

CanuckSigns you guys ever mess with this type of thing on your laser(s)?

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
don't know if this will work for your situation - the other day I received some auto parts and 4 wheeler parts and they used a low expansion foam similar to the stuff you use on windows and doors - items were bagged and the foam broke away very easily unlike the window and door stuff

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Looking at the flex and the surface of the cellular foam, I would think that you are using polyurethane foam.
Convoluted packaging foam is similar to this type where as some others would be like the harder pink or white stuff you'd find in computer box packaging that isnt Styrofoam.

you need low drag force processing from options like a laser for things like this.
You could also try to knife cut it if you encapsulate it in another cover material to compress it down while cutting.
Your oscillating tools, even with longer stroke options, will likely pull and shift the foam.
I would switch to a more stable Polyethylene Foam foam and then knife cut that all day.

falconboard/eaglecell is pricy and depending on the materials the corrugate can be a little abrasive on some materials.
Those and foamboard could be nice options to use though in conjunction with printed graphics