• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Strips a Replacement Item?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I'm wondering if the thin white strip on my 2nd plotter that the blade rides on is a removable thing that wears out? The manual I downloaded doesn't answer this. It seems to have a barely noticable groove wearing in it about six inches long at the left end.

Since I'm still getting used to a friction plotter, I don't know if this will eventually affect cut quality?

If ya hafta replace 'em, how do they come out & where do ya get another one? (It's a PNC950).

Jackpine

Mine was on a Roland PNC1000. They cost about $10.00 from any dealer that sells Rolands. It is a easy replacement task. They do make a difference in the cut quaility.

jbennett

My Summa D750 cutter strip was replaceable. It had worn a groove also. The new strip really made a big difference in the smoothness of my cutting. I would recommend replacing it if possible, especially if you have ever had the blade to come into direct contact with it (vinyl misfeeds). It is hard to see how bad the strip is until you replace it and see the difference (at least in my case).

jbennett

Cadmn

Arlo thet are replaceable & it affects cutting by skips normally call if ya need help man about $10.00 part. I didn't flip mine just replaced it right after I got
my cutter.

Jackpine

I don't think you can flip the strip. The Roland's have an adhesive back on them....at least mine did. Huge difference in cut quaility. Becon Graphics, Rayco, Sign Outlet mabe even Feller's may have them.

njsigns

Arlo Kalon said:
I'm wondering if the thin white strip on my 2nd plotter that the blade rides on is a removable thing that wears out?

In short, yes it is.

Arlo Kalon said:
It seems to have a barely noticable groove wearing in it about six inches long at the left end.

Now's probably a good time to get a new one

Arlo Kalon said:
Since I'm still getting used to a friction plotter, I don't know if this will eventually affect cut quality?

Yes, probably soon too - I have no personal experience with this happening myself, but have read about it quite a bit. If your blade is set too deep or if the blade has "gone off" the material you are cutting you can expect to see this happen.

Arlo Kalon said:
If ya hafta replace 'em, how do they come out.

I'd try going here and searching for "manual" and make sure to check the box "support documents" There are tons of manuals for all kinds of Roland machine, new and legacy - I also read here "The cutter protection strip should be changed about every year or when cuts appear in the strip. Use a screwdriver to pry off the old strip, remove any adhesive using Rapid Remover (page 8), dry and install the new strip."

Arlo Kalon said:
& where do ya get another one? (It's a PNC950).

I found them here http://www.beacongraphics.com/cutter-strips.html

Hope this helps

Gene

Raniece

yes replace the little white strip if it has even a small amount of wear.
Made a huge difference when I figured this out. LOL..
Cuts are much smoother, and much easier to weed.
Raniece