• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting through the backing paper

TrustedImages

Help help help!!! NO matter what I do it keeps cutting through the backing paper! :(

I had my force at 14 and it didn't cut through the paper but it only scored the letters. I changed it to 15 and it cut all the way through the backing paper. So I thought hmm I'll change it back to 14 and slow it down. I did this and it went through the backing paper again. What do I do?!

Help help help!

PMG

Installing the blade

Note: To avoid injury, handle the cutter blades carefully.
The following is a step-by-step procedure for installing a new blade. There are three types of blade holders currently in use: the original PHP30/31 series and the subsequent PHP32 series. The diagram below will help you identify the parts.
If you are using the PHP31 series follow these steps:

1. Remove the plunger shaft from the plunger by turning it counter-clockwise.
2. If you are replacing a worn blade, remove the old blade from the plunger. See What to Do with Those Worn Blades.
3. While holding the spring, take the new blade and drop the new blade into the holder.
4. Tap the side of the plunger so the blade will seat itself on the bottom of the plunger. This will prevent the blade from hanging up on the threads.
5. Place the plunger shaft back in the plunger and press down until there is a click.
6. Start turning the shaft clockwise. Stop and tap the plunger occasionally while turning the shaft.

If you are using the PHP32 or the PHP32N series follow these steps:

1. Remove the plunger cap from the plunger by turning it counter-clockwise.
2. Remove the old blade from the cap if applicable.
3. Stand the cap upright and insert the new blade into the hole while holding the spring.
4. Push the blade down a few times to ensure that it is seated correctly
5. Re-attach the cap with the blade inside the plunger.

Setting the blade depth.
The blade tip depth should extend past the plunger tip the same distance that is equal to the thickness of the vinyl.

Tip: Sometimes this is hard to see. Therefore, to verify the blade depth, hold the tool in your hand, draw a circle on the vinyl. If the cut circle on the vinyl can be pulled up, the blade is extended far enough.

Tip: When the knob of the plunger is turned the distance of one full turn, the blade moves 0.5 mm or .02 inches.
Setting the Cutting Conditions
The cutter has four conditions that can be preset to cut different materials. For example, COND1 can be set for pen plotting, COND2 can be set for high-performance vinyl. Press buttons 1-4 when the cutter is in READY mode to select a corresponding condition. To change the parameters with the condition, be sure the cutter is in the condition you would like to change. Below are the steps to set the condition parameters properly.

Tip: After installing the blade and blade holder, collect the different materials you will be cutting (i.e. intermediate, high performance, different brands.) As explained above, set each condition accordingly to each material. COND1 might be set for high performance, COND2 might be set to intermediate or reflective. Or, set each condition to the type of cutting you will be doing (ie. set COND1 for normal cutting, whereas set COND2 for small or intricate cutting).
Perform a test cut.

1. After installing the vinyl or media, select the condition and move the cutting tool to an area to test cuts and press TEST.
2. The LCD will display three choices TEST1, TEST2, and CUTTING PRO.
3. Press button 1 for TEST1.
4. A triangle within a square will be cut.

Testing for FORCE
Remove the square while trying to leave the triangle.

1. Press the CONDITION button.
2. A black blinking cursor will appear next to the FORCE value.
3. If the square releases easily but pulls up the triangle then press the UP ARROW button to increase the value by 1.
4. OR
5. Looking at the back of the media, if there are indentations or the blade has cut completely through the backing then press the DOWN ARROW BUTTON to decrease the value by 1
6. Press ENTER
7. Repeat the instructions above starting from step 1.

Testing the OFFSET.
For an explanation of OFFSET, review "What is the OFFSET value?"

1. Look at the corners of the square. If the corners are rounded, the value is too low, increase the OFFSET value. If the corners are spiked, the value is too high, decrease the OFFSET value.

Note: With our newer cutters, offset is a blade choice. For example, if you were using the CB09U blade, you would select the 09U as your offset. To change this value press the side arrow keys until your blade appears. This will automatically set the offset to the appropriate value. If you feel the offset for the blade you are using is not exact, you can increase the value next to the blade offset by pressing the up and down arrow keys.
2. To change the OFFSET press the CONDITION button.
3. Press the 3 button for CUTTER OFFSET.
4. To increase the value, press the UP ARROW button

Too High

Too Low

Good

TrustedImages

I did that too. It's barely sticking out. I can hardly feel it. My test cut is fine. It weeds perfect and doesn't go through the backing. But when I go to cut the job is a different story!

Okay....I thought I sent this but I didn't.....I READJUSTED my blade depth. Put it either futher in. It seems to be working.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!

TrustedImages

UGH! It's not working again!!! I sent something else after adjusting and it worked fine...went back to the original job and it started cutting through the backing again. WEIRD! I checked the settings in my software and it wasn't off. Hmm..maybe just a bad file??? Is that possible??

PMG

is it cutting each path 2 times? that will cause this problem as well!!! Convert the file to outlines and see if there is 2 of everything,i had this problem before!If so delete the top copy........

Lor,

Are you cutting the liner throughout the complete plot OR is it more towards the left edge (looking from the front of the machine). what I am getting is that the strip may be worn, even if you have not scored it.

Simple check by rubbing your fingers, front to back, all the way across the strip. If you feel any difference then its time to go.

iSign

is it cutting each path 2 times? that will cause this problem as well!!! Convert the file to outlines and see if there is 2 of everything,i had this problem before!If so delete the top copy........

I'll bet PMG is right on the money with this one.
If you are importing the file into whatever program you cut out of, many times an imported files has 2 or even 3 copies of each contour. As PMG says, check for this, it sounds like the issue, since it's not an issue on tests, or other files

signguy95

What software are you using to cut with?

I just upgraded to flexi 8 and it can control the setting from production manager. I had mine set to 16 but the PM had it set to 20...no matter what setting I set the machine to PM was overriding that setting?

Jay

PMG

Signguy.....under Flexi preferences/tool/rip&print there is 3 seeting........... If you use #1 it will ask you which to use when you change the profiles from file to file because the profiles are saved in the file / #2 will always use what you have in Rip and print/#3 will use what setting are in the PM.
1 Prompt for wich one to use
2 Always keep rip and print setting
3 Always use PM settings

TrustedImages

Hey guys! I'm fairly certain that Pro Signs is right on the money. There is a dip on the left side of where I was cutting and that's where it was going through the backing paper. HOWEVER, when I moved it down to where there was no change in the strip, there was STILL the left side cutting through the backing paper. I thought it could be a file issue so I created a new one (it was just text). SAME THING! UGH! I'm not sure what it is! I'm going to try changing the strip tomorrow and see if that helps.

I'm using LXI Master Plus V8. So essentially the same as Flexi. I'm going to keep playing with it until I figure it out. I am wasting a crap load of vinyl though. Thank goodness it's only 641!

I thought it could be a file issue so I created a new one

On a very rare occasion, it is possible to experience a file corruption (even though it looks fine on-screen). When you re-create a file, due to a file corruption, you must do so from scratch. ANY, and I do mean "any" element from a corrupted file can transfer the same corruption to the new file.

As for the cut strip - it is usually the first 15 inches that gets worn. The remaining nine (or so) inches does not usually get as much "action" and eventually becomes HIGHER than what is on the starting side of the strip. The problem comes when you adjust pressure for the worn side, and get what seems to be a reasonable test cut. When the plotter moves to the far side of the axis, it now cuts too deep.

Your machine is old enough (enough miles), and I believe even uses the newer/thinner strips - therefore a new cut strip is very plausible.

PMG

I would back the force up 100 grams 1 complete turn backwards and keep going back till it cuts fine,,i had LXI and a panther and i took the blade holder apart to clean it and counted the turns out at 9 but some how i put 11 back in and had the same issues as well till i took 2 turn 200grams out of the holder.

TrustedImages

I'll try that. I still think it's the strip. The file I recreated was totally new. ...Oh wait! I copy and pasted so it could have still been corrupted...hmmmm!!! Let me try that real quick and I'll get back to ya'll. I'm still going to change the strip out just in case.

TrustedImages

Okay...here's an update.

Completely and totally new file. Cut fine...UNTIL the end of the file. It's just a simple text file about 52" long. It cut fine until like the last two letters. It cut them through the backing paper. I don't know what's wrong with the silly thing. I'm going to change the strip tomorrow.

signguy95

PMG...you can also set flexi to control the force/quality/ect. under you graphtec properties in Production Manager.

But that shouldn't be the problem since it's a random occurrence during cutting.

Jay

chopper

if the new strip dosent do the trick check the blade solenoid to make sure there is nothing interfering with it, also they can some times go bad you may need to call tech support on this, I believe there is a magnet (in the solenoid) that controls the down force on the blade carriage, there could be a loose wire or loose part or even a bad magnet in the solenoid causing the problem
or something wrong with the board that controls the solenoid ( not applying even pressure at all times i.e. voltage changes to the blade solenoid)
//chopper