• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DC3 plus issues

Velocity955

I purchased my first printer for my small sign business 2 years ago.I have had ongoing issues with pass lines ,and cutlines being off on contour cuts.Despite numerous calls to tech support(great guys by the way)yards of wasted material and ink,(some of which was reimbursed) and 3 different days tech support has come to my shop to work on the printer,The contour cut lines have improved,but I am still getting random pass lines and print quality issues.Basically this printer has costed more time and money than it has made me.Has anyone else had issues like these with the DC3 plus? if so what did you do?

Velocity955

I generally use the summa intermediate vinyl for printing, but have the same proplems with the high perf.The pass lines i mentioned are visible as either a thin line between passes or a slight color difference in each pass.They generally are not consistent on every pass, but seem to happen randomly.Ive had real problems with getting a consistent print from the machine.I understand some of this is user error, in the learning curve but by far not all of it.Just looking for any input from the community.

dclet

I understand some of this is user error, in the learning curve but by far not all of it.Just looking for any input from the community.

the community is here

If you could supply a file I will gladly trouble shoot it...

Pass lines as you are calling them are called banding

banding is a bit too broad of a term with the summa machines.

unfortunately i do not have any helpful information...but, for what it is worth you are not alone. i know others who own this machine who have had the same ongoing problems. i have had nothing but success with the products i have purchased from summa and will also add that they are a great group of guys additionally they are extremely knowledgeable...with this all said it tells me that there is or may be a problem with the machine.

Vinylsignguy

I purchased my Summa DC4 about 5 months ago. Making a $900 a month payment for nothing. Banding is Banding and this maching does way too much of it. After numerous tech support calls and multiple error codes, it has come down to "You cannot get rid of ALL banding".-Summa tech support.
I can understand some banding but what this machine does is excessive. I know it is not just my machine or Velocity955's. I have seen numerous people complain about this. I for one possibly of many would like to figure out how to get out of this horrible lease.

dclet

Like many users...it's your lack of experience with both the machine and color. 5 months
isn't enough...especially if your coming into it cold. Even if you bought a solvent/inkjet machine you'd be having issues.

I'd be more then happy to help you - I have been using summa thermals since the chrome, once you learn what the machine likes it's a pleasure to use.

digital-graphica.com

aroundtown

I have a DC4sx which I bought in Feb this year. Printed plenty on it and the only time I've experienced banding was when there was very low humidity (dry air).
I was running the printer in a different room in the summer and had my de-humidifier set to VERY low humidity.

I print on oracal 651 mainly, and that happened with CMY printing on a portrait picture.

Since then I've moved the printer to a room with better climate control and it works great.

Jim Doggett

This sounds like more than a user issue. It might be a problem with the media feed. If techs have been on-site, I'll assume all was calibrated as best as possible. The cut being "off" is the clue that something in the equipment, and not user-settings/file-setup, is the culprit.

IMO,

Jim

kev3232

I purchased my Summa DC4 about 5 months ago. Making a $900 a month payment for nothing. Banding is Banding and this maching does way too much of it. After numerous tech support calls and multiple error codes, it has come down to "You cannot get rid of ALL banding".-Summa tech support.
I can understand some banding but what this machine does is excessive. I know it is not just my machine or Velocity955's. I have seen numerous people complain about this. I for one possibly of many would like to figure out how to get out of this horrible lease.

welcome to the world of summa, lot's of excuses from them why their machine has banding issues. we had a dc1 years ago and we were printing an image with blue sky and were getting really bad banding. after hours of trying to get rid of it and we called tech support and after repeated tries to remedy the problem all the tech could say was: "don't print any images with blue sky in them" ?!?!?!?!?
thank god i went inkjet, no more banding!!!

Jim Doggett

welcome to the world of summa, lot's of excuses from them why their machine has banding issues. we had a dc1 years ago and we were printing an image with blue sky and were getting really bad banding. after hours of trying to get rid of it and we called tech support and after repeated tries to remedy the problem all the tech could say was: "don't print any images with blue sky in them" ?!?!?!?!?
thank god i went inkjet, no more banding!!!

No argument on DuraChrome (aka DC1) and DC2. But DC3 and DC4 are an entirely different implmentation. They really don't have the pass-line (banding) issues that the 1s and 2s do. The main reason is the superior media feed system, which puts marks on the face of the vinyl as opposed to an encoder that measures media travel based on a friction wheel on the backing of the media ... which ironically, can slip (misread) more frequently on 3M poly-backed, which is also the only media that prints well on 1s and 2s. The OptiPrint media precleaning system is also a giant leap forward, making a wider range of media possible while at the same time saving the head from damages due to debris.

My $0.02,

Jim

ColesCreations

We own a Durachrome, it gets used only every once in a while after we got the Mimaki.
"Pass lines" are probably near impossible to get rid totally rid of , especially in spot-color mode, due to the technology of laying down 4" passes and no overprint. CMY-mode has been better for us, as one slight error in one color can be hidden by the other colors. Bear in mind that it is not a "fine art" machine, but great for car graphics, decals, signs etc.

I am aware that the DC3 and DC4's are very much improved, and do not have the optical help. But- am I wrong to assume; that no matter how well the printer is set up, the pass-line will still be visible? (from up close) In ours, we always adjust the passes a little on the close side to keep from getting white lines...

Listen to Dclet, Muts run a good site with lots of info on Summas.