• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dealing with gradients

gabagoo

I have a file that is only 11.5 x 17 inches it gors from a medium grey to a white. It was set up in photoshop and in Flexi it looks fine, but when we print it on the Mimaki jv3 ht egradient comes out as a series of sections changing colour rather than a smooth transition. How should I have a gradient set up for print? For something so small I am amazed that it does this. Help

signguy95

rasterize it

how does it look with soft proof on? also make sure the in prod. manager profile, gradient smoothness is set to enhanced or super.

Jay

B Snyder

Since he said it was setup is Photoshop its probably a raster already....

Can you convert it to greyscale?

gtjet

Actually we have a problem with this too. Changing colors slightly helps as does setting blends to "super". I can not remember but on one I think we changed from FXPress to randon diffusion and that helped too but it was a long time ago, I right be wrong about that. Good luck.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have a file that is only 11.5 x 17 inches it gors from a medium grey to a white. It was set up in photoshop and in Flexi it looks fine, but when we print it on the Mimaki jv3 ht egradient comes out as a series of sections changing colour rather than a smooth transition. How should I have a gradient set up for print? For something so small I am amazed that it does this. Help

Flexi does not import gradients gracefully. More often than not a foreign gradient imports as a set of discrete color bars, not as a continuum.

Your best bet is to redo the gradient in Flexi. Also be sure and set the gradient to CMYK in the Design Control dialog, set the rendering intent for gradients to 'No Color Correction', and set either 'Enhanced' or 'Super' gradient handling in Production Manager.

I have had that problem myself and it is a bear to fix ... you pretty much have to go on a case by case basis. I would add to what signguy95 says and say add a 2 second pause in the printing so it dries a little more in between passes and changing it to 12 passes, and make sure you are printing at 720x720. It takes a little trial and error as each JV3 preforms differently, but be patient and you will be able to get the best results.

tosses in his 1.5 cents

P

ProWraps™

ugh... good luck. gradients are tough all the way around. and there is no good fix.

gabagoo

ok heres the scoop... The original file or the gradient was done in illustrator but the final setup was done in photoshop. The designer who rents an ofice from me went back and deleted the gradient ,flooded the area with a solid grey and then used a large brush and featherd it using a series of tolerences and after he said that to me I shook my head and said so its possible but impossible for me to even understand lol. I guess the issue is that none of us really knows what we are up against until the files show up and we start printing. It seems to be such a pain especially if you have pre quoted the job (98.9% of the time). So how do you recoop the time spent trying to fix these issues. I suppose it helps to either be a photoshop expert or at least have one that works for you. I am lucky that he is here but he is not an employee...just a good friend...for now lol

dlndesign

I had the same problem with a very large wrap I did for a ATM machine. In the photoshop file go to the Noise Filter and up it to 2 or 3%. Then do a test print on the problem section and see what happens. It worked for me.