• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with Removals

IDB Signs

Hey everyone!

We may have some van and shuttle bus wrap removals coming up and I thought I would poll the masses and see how all of you deal with wrap and graphic removals in general. As far as pricing goes, how much? Do you charge by the hour, sq ft? Different, higher rates for jobs where the wrong material was used, left on too long, etc? Who do you all use in the shop to do removals, your installer or someone who you know will pay close attention and be cautious, or is it something you have the newbie dealing with? Of course you'll want a waiver and to cover any liabilities.

Just wanted to pick everyone's brains. Happy Monday!

Reveal1

We charge same labor rate to remove as apply. If explained well, customer always understanding. Usually suggest they consider hiring a teenager for $10/hr. (or whatever the going rate for entry level work) since it is a low-skilled job.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
How much to charge comes in three pieces: (shop rate x time) + supplies. Really easy if the client just lets you charge that after you are done.

I have a few clients that are OK with that, and I have some that try it themselves. But the majority of clients want a price quote. Experience helps here. I generally estimate about 32 sq. ft./hr for high performance vinyl, and add about 50% if it is old and dried. Double the price for metallics and reflectives. Test a few sections if possible and you should get a good idea what will be involved.

If the vinyl comes off easier, you have an option to charge the client less. But if it is a struggle, it's unlikely the client will want to pay more. I tell my customers upfront I will charge them less if it takes less time, and that the quoted price is the top limit. There's been a few times I've been burned by that, but it has only happened once in recent memory (dried metallic graphics).

It helps to have the right tools. I usually find a heat gun (I use a propane torch, but I don't advise it unless you really know what you are doing), Li'l Chisler and vinyl removal liquid is all that's needed. An MBX Zapper or steamer can be useful at times. "Ghost-Off" is an interesting product to use after removal. All kinds of little tricks if you read these forums, but after you've done a few you'll get the hang of it.

PS: I tell the customer up front there may be some paint finish damage. If that is unacceptable, then I won't do it, and direct them to a body shop. I'd rather lose the job than pay for a paint job.

PPS: If it is a fire engine, proceed with much caution. Even if the vinyl peels right off, it will likely leave a ghost image where the finish has been faded or abraded by the elements. But more likely the metallic and reflective vinyl will not peel off, but will come off in tiny little shreds, leaving an adhesive residue. I usually tell them that finish damage is probably unavoidable. A new paint job will cost $25k – $30k and take the equipment out of service for 4 – 6 weeks.

IDB Signs

Thanks guys! We have definitely removed vinyl before and are familiar with that wonderful bunch of fun. I was just curious more about the administrative side of it, I suppose.

ExecuPrintGS

We charge by the hour at the same as our install rate.
Typically we call the client after an hour or so when we have a better idea how it is going and give them a more accurate estimate, they can decide at that point if they want us to keep going or not.

2B

Charge by the hour (shop rate) + material used.
If you have done removals before you can "guess". After it has started, update the customer and tell them if it will be more than the guess.

ALWAYS have a waiver signed, even if you did the installation and know the material used.

CTWRAPS

Hey everyone!

We may have some van and shuttle bus wrap removals coming up and I thought I would poll the masses and see how all of you deal with wrap and graphic removals in general. As far as pricing goes, how much? Do you charge by the hour, sq ft? Different, higher rates for jobs where the wrong material was used, left on too long, etc? Who do you all use in the shop to do removals, your installer or someone who you know will pay close attention and be cautious, or is it something you have the newbie dealing with? Of course you'll want a waiver and to cover any liabilities.

Just wanted to pick everyone's brains. Happy Monday!
I rarely deal with removals anymore... there's so many other things I can be doing with my time! Lucky for me I know a company in CT that does strictly graphics removals and they are cheap! Maybe a removal company exists near you?

IDB Signs

For those of you that have used a removal company before- was/ is it much more beneficial to just charge your shop rate for the removal, then pay out of that to the removal company, rather than doing it in house?

Also concerning the liability, I would think that they would have the client sign a waiver releasing them from any liability vs assuming it all? The removal company wouldn't have control over nearly all of the conditions that can affect the outcome of a removal. Was it the correct material, was it cared for properly, installed properly, is it within the removal window, what was the paint like underneath?? All of these are big mysteries for someone just showing up to take it off, I wouldn't assume that liability without knowing the truthful answers to all of those questions, personally.

Thanks for the input everyone!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I could just see some dummy using a razor blade and Goof-Off. I can at least control that in the shop. Of all sign-shop jobs, I would love to outsource vinyl removal (I outsource most everything else), but that is one job I would be concerned about because you are being trusted with somebody else's expensive vehicle.

CTWRAPS

For those of you that have used a removal company before- was/ is it much more beneficial to just charge your shop rate for the removal, then pay out of that to the removal company, rather than doing it in house?

Also concerning the liability, I would think that they would have the client sign a waiver releasing them from any liability vs assuming it all? The removal company wouldn't have control over nearly all of the conditions that can affect the outcome of a removal. Was it the correct material, was it cared for properly, installed properly, is it within the removal window, what was the paint like underneath?? All of these are big mysteries for someone just showing up to take it off, I wouldn't assume that liability without knowing the truthful answers to all of those questions, personally.

Thanks for the input everyone!
It’s like anything in this world ... if you paint houses everyday you are more qualified to paint a house than I am. 3 guys with all the proper tools and techniques, chemicals etc. is a lot more efficient than 1 newbie teenager making 11 dollars an hour at your shop. They do carry liability insurance. The outcome will be the same if I remove a wrap with a bad clear coat or if they do.. no one has control of that.
The process is to send them a pic of the removal... they provide a price..whatever that price is you up charge it. It’s that simple!