• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dedicated cutting on SP-540v

jsalda

For the past 8 years I partnered up with another shop that had a SP-540 and a dedicated 24" cutter. Always used the Roland for printing and the cutter for old school vinyl. Well now I've gone out on my own and found a nice used SP-540v for myself. Going to use it for all printing and cutting until workload mandates a dedicated cutter. My question, is there an easier way to use it for cutting than having to setup all artwork with the CutContour swatch, like using FlexiSign? For some reason, Versaworks just doesn't seem intuitive when you need to just cut vinyl. I've searched and searched, can't seem to find an answer.

Sign Works

Flexi Pro 8.1 or newer should be fine (have the drivers for the 540). You might want do double check with SAI on what version covers that machine. Back in 06 I had to upgrade Flexi to 8.1 to use it with my new SP-300V.

dhamlett15

I would just find a good used plotter.

When you load material in the roland printer the print head will come out while it measures the width of your material and it take forever.

Also since the print head comes out if you load material in the curls up and hits the print head you ruin a printhead that will cost as much or more than a good used plotter.

GW

I use a SP300 primarily for cutting. For software, I find Signlab Shortcut to be simple to use and relatively inexpensive.

Cheers.