• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Deep contours on wraps

bayviewsignworks

We're using 3m ij180cv3-10 gloss with 3M 8518 gloss laminate. Especially with the new vans and the rear side panel contours we're getting lifting after we've delivered the job. We use the 3M liquid (twice) before getting as close as we can before using heat. Using hand/finger/squeegee or a 3M contour roller we still get some lifting. We've decided to cut the job from now on after it's done.

Spectrum internet/cable trucks I've seen have a perfectly cut area right on the horizon edge that could not be done by hand-how did they do that??

I'm wondering if they put down a knifeless tape; but with two wires 1/8th inch apart? I haven't seen that product.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

MikePro

pics to confirm, but most likely used knifeless tape.
it comes in 1/8" sizes, so in theory you could run a line of tape and then run a matching line alongside it.

for me, i start with the deep grooves, unstretched...just tucked. once you make the turn, you can stretch a bit to get the bacon-collar back to a straight light and then continue wrapping outward.

We're using 3m ij180cv3-10 gloss with 3M 8518 gloss laminate. Especially with the new vans and the rear side panel contours we're getting lifting after we've delivered the job. We use the 3M liquid (twice) before getting as close as we can before using heat. Using hand/finger/squeegee or a 3M contour roller we still get some lifting. We've decided to cut the job from now on after it's done.

Spectrum internet/cable trucks I've seen have a perfectly cut area right on the horizon edge that could not be done by hand-how did they do that??

I'm wondering if they put down a knifeless tape; but with two wires 1/8th inch apart? I haven't seen that product.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
The www.Wrapinstitute.com is an awesome resource for ANY wrap related issue.

signman315

Signmaker
Tuck everything you can and heat it to establish a clean line again after the channel and if you have to stretch into a channel do it in a way that you are "pushing" the vinyl into the channel giving it as much material as possible. Prime the channels with primer 94 and if still getting issues relief cut it. But if tucked/stretched properly and primed it shouldn't lift.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Switch to Avery and make sure you leave an 8" gap. Focus the heat (which is where the stretch will come from) away from the indentation you are trying to tuck it into.

Avery can conform without failure with this method. With 3M, the stars have to align for it to work. and if it does the overlap seams will still probably fail in a year or so. If you have to use 3M, cut it with knifeless, and drop it in.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Don't switch vinyls, just get some more training. I know personally I can't do what the better installers here can do and I gladly admit it.

The cuts you're talking about are just made by good/steady installers, so are the wraps that don't lift out of the deeper recesses.
Spend the money and get to the 3M wrap certification class, you'll learn a lot there about how/where/why of working the vinyl. In the end some installers can do both without any issue and others can't.

Wrap institute for training, maybe try 3M 480 (it’s better!), Post Heat Post Heat, Post Heat. :)

Like others have said, heat the flat area and work, don't stretch, into the recess. And as Behrmon said, post heat, post heat, post heat. To the correct temperature, use an infrared thermometer. Also keep in mind that overlaps need to be post heated to a slightly higher temperature than normal, I think 220° is what Avery recommends.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
With Avery 1105 make sure to use 1460 overlam. It's better for these deep recessed areas.