• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DELL.....what a joke....

synergy_jim

So, I drive down to my buddies house last night to look at his new dell. He was complaining that it would not burn cd's or dvd's.

So, I install various burning programs and every single one either locks up or times out and destroys a disk.

Just out of curiosity, I crack the case open....... this is where the mess starts...

The hard drive is laying in the bottom of the case.....

no loose screws anywhere..... they neglected to even fasten it in....

So we have a bad dvd-rw drive and a loose hard drive....

He calls tech support today....

solution.....

good luck with the dvd rom drive.... ( think indian accent )

take 2 screws from the cd-rom drive and use them to mount the hard drive ( thicker indian accent )

Mind you.... this computer is 1 week old.....

What a joke....

weaselboogie

That's why dell has been dropping in customer service. Their ranking has really dropped over the past couple of years.

I own 4 dells and love 'em. I've been using dell for about 8 years and the ONLY thing that I have lost is a hard drive. In fact, 3 of them are refurbs.

So, LUCKILY, I haven't had to use tech support.

I'm surprised that model (what model) has screws to hold the hard drive in place. My last 2 have the green attachments to the side of the drive. Just unclip and pull it out. Piece o cake.

Used to be all Mac till @ 3 years ago. Have 3 dells now. The only thing that made the transition tolerable WAS Dells customer service. As of late that has gone for @ 9 to @ 3 . If I had get a box now , I'd Get a Mac or build my own. Although I like what I see from John at IT Systerms. I'll be watching feed back on product & service.

John M

What's even funnier is that CD/DVD drives typically use smaller screws than those used to mount hard drives. That means they're not likely be any good to mount the HD.

Like Weaselboogie said - most Dells use those green plastic rails anyway. I've got plenty of spares around the shop just in case. Don't get me started on their proprietary heat sink setups!

If you call me you'll get a southern accent but that's usually easier to understand :biggrin:

SignBurst PCs

Man, I have to say that is about par for the course. The funny thing is, I swear that every Dell tech support guy is named "Johnny".

speedmedia

Yet another reason I love Apple, I get to talk to an American that can actually pronounce my name correctly and I can understand.

Although I am sure that will be short lived with the way things are going.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

Jakob77

I used to work for a bank, and we used Dell for everything. We bought enough stuff that we got their GOLD support with every machine for no additional cost. I don't know what the average Joe would have to pay for the GOLD support, but it might be worth it.

With GOLD support, we got access to a special tech line that was always answered within 2 minutes or so, by someone in the US that holds at least some sort of certification. They would actually listen to you and help figure out the problem instead of reading step by step troubleshooting directions out of some manual.

Now, after everyone agreed what part was bad, they would have whatever it was in your hand within 4 hours. Bad powersupply? You had a replacement in 4 hours. I tested it many times, and they never failed. I thought it was amazing.

Mark

jtrainor56

You can get that service with almost all of the manufactures, provided you pay for it. HP and Compaq sell care packs, depending what our customers want to pay they can get 4hr, 8hr or 24hr. Most pay for 4hr, especially after the first time they breakdown and have to wait two days for parts and service.

Marlene

the last Dell we bought we had the option to pay more for an English speaking person. told them to stick it, I'd deal with Apoo

weaselboogie

I'd buy a used desktop before I bought a used laptop. I have a laptop and treat that thing like GOLD.... because I own it. How do you think people treat laptops that work for a company and they DON'T own it?

However, I haven't been able to use it because my wife and son discovered that stupid Purble Place that comes on vista.