• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Design Idea Guide ------- We will buy your designs

How long have you been in the sign business?

• < 1 Year

• 1-3 years

• 4-8 years

• 8-12 years

• 13+ years

Results are only viewable after voting.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Curious if any of you out there are interested in selling your designs and content to me. I'd like to put together an inspiration guide for our resellers to use. Maybe if you have been working on a lifetime library of work. Sign templates, photos, designs, concept logos, whatever. Might be a way to earn a few extra dollars for concept designs you couldn't get your customer to buy.

I'm honestly just brainstorming here, so if I am missing something, or you have an idea, let me know!

2B

Do you mean a design catalog like Vista Print, BuildaSign, etc. where you have templates ready to use, just plug in the info?

FireSprint.com

Do you mean a design catalog like Vista Print, BuildaSign, etc. where you have templates ready to use, just plug in the info?
Yes and no. I'm not limiting it to editable templates. Yes, editable templates (like an EPS or PDF) would be awesome, but not just that. It could be photos of work that make sense to share and re-share. Logos for fake companies one might have tinkered with. Vehicle wrap concepts.

You ever flip through a magazine that just has photos of kitchens? I'm thinking content a little like that, but for those of us in the sign, print and promo business.

This might be a bit crazy or vague, but can't hurt to just ask I figure.

-Gene

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if I'm interested, but what kinda monetary value will be assigned and how will they vary ??

Wouldn't a customer who has/had a sign designed by oneself, be upset if their unique design was duplicated ?? I highly doubt you're gonna want just simple everyday crap. ALl the good ones have been taken, so-to-speak.

FireSprint.com

Very good points gino.

The pricing could be negotiated. I couldn't pay to have this stuff created from scratch, but if you had assets just sitting on a hard drive, selling me non-exclusive rights to distribute digitally could get you some Christmas cash. A few dollars per design maybe?

If your interested PM me a sample and an asking price and I'll get you a reply quickly.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm honestly just brainstorming here, so if I am missing something, or you have an idea, let me know!
IMO, you’re missing how an industry segment works as far as wholesale art publishing. A publisher knows the market appetite of styles and already has a roster of artists which they pay a ~12% commission quarterly if any sales. If the publisher finds a promising body of work or even potential in a fledgling artist, the publisher advises the artist of value and for the artist to consider a relationship. Alternatively, it is not uncommon for publishers to hire artists as a ongoing staff members.

So, considering an impressive vehicle wrap design is what a customer is really buying beyond some amount of paint protection, $120 commission from a $1,000 sale seems reasonable if all the other ducks are in a row.

FireSprint.com

Good points.

I do think that getting artwork onto a platform for resale is a fair amount of work. Each design must be refined, listed for sale, converted into thumbnails, add descriptions, titles, keywords, etc. All this takes place for one design at a time and then your art still may not sell. Leaving the artist with nothing potentially.

Our use would be to incorporate them into an idea guide for inspiration to others in our industry. This would be something we would offer free of charge.

While the designs might be mimicked, copied, or modified for use somewhere else, they would not be refined to the quality one would expect from a $1000 wrap design.

In no way am I expecting someone to drop what they are doing and start designing for FireSprint. But, if someone wanted to sell me the rights to a body of work "collecting dust" I would be interested.

I have alot of crazy ideas. This might be one of them. I'm just checking.o_O

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm confused with all of this. As a legit wholesale printer to trade only clients, wouldn't offering design, in any form, undermine this business model? I'm not saying it's wrong, you're free to do whatever you want but this is the gripe I have with wholesalers. It's just hurrying an industry to dig its own grave.
The money is in production, I don't care what anyone says. If you disagree then hop on Fiverr and prove me wrong.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
As a wholesaler, Fire Sprint probably sees at of bad designs cone through. Maybe he wants to help those just starting out with better looking design ideas so they can sell more product.

gaterspit

Curious if any of you out there are interested in selling your designs and content to me. I'd like to put together an inspiration guide for our resellers to use. Maybe if you have been working on a lifetime library of work. Sign templates, photos, designs, concept logos, whatever. Might be a way to earn a few extra dollars for concept designs you couldn't get your customer to buy.

What do you have in mind. I have an extensive library of sign, wrap, and tee shirt art.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Perhaps you may want to let me know in private conversation whether or not you would be interested in our Plotter Art™ collection of 5,000 plus images already setup for both display and licensed download. It is available either for sale or for non exclusive licensing, has a keyworded database, and is also offered through seven other stock sites earning royalties.

https://www.allcompu.com/

https://www.signs101.com/conversations/add

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What do you have in mind. I have an extensive library of sign, wrap, and tee shirt art.
We would be interested in seeing what you have. If we think it has commercial value we would offer you a royalty in return for non exclusive licensing rights. If interested please send ten or so images you like or a link to them if shown online.

FireSprint.com

Notarealsignguy I find there are two types of customers in regards to design.

1.) Experienced designers or people who spend alot of money on agency help with experienced designers

2.) Small shops and startups without many resoures.

13 years ago I was in the second group. Alot of our customers are in the second group.

I feel like it would have been nice to have a library of resources to use to help get my business off the ground. Maybe simple templates to use outright, maybe more complex designs just for inspiration.

In no way does this mean we want to offer design services FireSprint.

In regards to fiverr, has anyone on here actually ordered a $5 logo? You get what you pay for. The barriers to entry for a graphic designer are low, but that doesn't mean they are any good.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That's exactly what I was getting at. Having resources and good design ability is a competitive advantage for many sign shops. Offering art, templates or whatever else is getting towards a retail model.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Perhaps you may want to let me know in private conversation whether or not you would be interested in our Plotter Art™ collection of 5,000 plus images already setup for both display and licensed download. It is available either for sale or for non exclusive licensing, has a keyworded database, and is also offered through seven other stock sites earning royalties.

https://www.allcompu.com/

https://www.signs101.com/conversations/add
No offense..but that artwork was acceptable 30 years ago and doesn't look good today. Clipart died with Windows 95.

FireSprint.com

That's exactly what I was getting at. Having resources and good design ability is a competitive advantage for many sign shops. Offering art, templates or whatever else is getting towards a retail model.
Good food for thought here.

I started from very little. A $300 plotter in my parent's basement. It was fun, but it was also difficult.

This experience and perspective has always given me a soft spot for the little startups. The mom and pop shops. The one man bands.

Right or wrong, I'm always thinking about how FireSprint can help them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I used some of your Covid sign designs. I thought they looked nice and it saved me design time, I think for certain things, having some artwork ready could be a good idea.