• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designer or Print & Cut?

JAMEY

Alright, I have asked in a couple different places to no avail so I will ask here and hope for a prompt answer. Need to hear the opinions on the software real soon as I am ordering probably on Monday.

First of all: Price is not a factor here. There is only about a $400 difference with Signlab's competitive trade in allowance program (save around half I guess).

I'm picking up a Roland SP300V and a Roland GX24. Both come with Versaworks. I am highly considering trading up one of the Versaworks programs for either Signlab Designer or Signlab Print and Cut. After all, I won't need 2 Versaworks programs right? Can use I the one on both Rolands?

I do not plan on using CorelDraw. I have PhotoShop and PhotoImpact for bmp/jpg editing.

Here's the BIG question. Which Signlab would be best for me for designing, ease of use, and speed of work flow?

A. Get Signlab Designer (just under a grand) and use Versaworks to rip. Signlab told me it designs better than Signlab Cut & Print.

OR

B. Get Signlab Print & Cut for 1200 and be able to rip through it and also have my other copy of Versaworks from my GX24.

Thanks

cfbeagle

Why not get Corel Draw?? That is all I would get... for the vector graphics that you will cut on the plotter there is nothing simpler or as good imho.

But then maybe I AM a major Corel fan.:thankyou:

JAMEY

Do you use CorelDraw because of the price of the other software is high? The price of the other software does not concern me in the least. It is part of my investment that I already have figured in.

I've seen the videos of SignLab and it looks much more appealing to me than CorelDraw. Sorry man...CorelDraw just seems like a pain to a newb like myself.

Rod

Training videos for Visual Production Manager

Some side info for you:

To help with your decisions, there are SignLab training videos at the following link (registration required):

http://www.cadlink.com/infoSource/nfo_sl_tut.php

Currently, of the top-three videos, #1 is a mislabelled video that actually shows you how to do tiling in Visual Production Manager (VPM). Video #3 shows how to organize multiple printers through VPM. Both of immediate interest to you.

For others that are concerned about bitmap editing, please note that SignLab 8 provides GIMP (i.e., spirit) features for bitmap editing that are comparable to PhotoShop.

Regards,

Rod at CADlink

Techman

I use Corel and Cocut Pro for cutting vinyl.
I use it simply because it can do anything I need it to do. In fact there is nothing that the much higher priced softwares can do that corel and cocut cannot do.

But more important. Very few have ever needed to call tech support for Cocut.

cfbeagle

Corel Draw is one of the most powerful graphics programs available. Much more so then Sign Lab or Flexi in my opinion...

The next thing is you can have it on every computer for not a lot of money, and you don't have a STUPID dongle. Even if you don't use Corel you will end up with a version of it sometime anyway because so many people use it.

And the support network is big... check out these links.

www.advancedartist.com
www.corelunleashed.com
www.graphicsunleashed.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alexisgalvez

Just my $.02

JAMEY

Corel Draw is one of the most powerful graphics programs available. Much more so then Sign Lab or Flexi in my opinion...

The next thing is you can have it on every computer for not a lot of money, and you don't have a STUPID dongle. Even if you don't use Corel you will end up with a version of it sometime anyway because so many people use it.

And the support network is big... check out these links.

www.advancedartist.com
www.corelunleashed.com
www.graphicsunleashed.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alexisgalvez

Just my $.02

Thanks a lot man. I checked out the support network you listed above and have decided to just take the time and learn CorelDraw X4. I am going to join AdvancedArtist.com for sure.