• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Diamond Engraving Kit Cutter Roland?

steriltech

Hi All,
Ok you all kmow I have to ask this ? I saw this on ebay DIAMOND ENGRAVING KIT CUTTER ROLAND now how trule is this is it for real? Has any one here ever tried such thing??? I mean it is possible has any ??????I'm planing to to try it...Feed back ,,,,anyone???:signs101:

mladams7259

Ive never saw one in action, but I have read on several forums that it is hell on your plotter. Vinyl cutters aren't made to scribe metal. The constant pounding that the cutting head assembly will take constantly hitting the metal surface of the substrate cannot be healthy for the machine. I would advise against it. If you want to do that kind of work I recommend buying the equipment made for the job. Just my .02 FWIW.

tamiya

How does it work?

Looks like someone's just put a tungsten nib into a plotter pen,
it sure doesn't look like it rotates bit to cut or anything... unless the
software makes the plotter work the tool like a chisel/jackhammer...?

If so, that's pretty punishing on your machine!!

Plus how do you feed stiff materials thru the plotter too,
I can't see the grit rollers getting much purchase on metals.
(that's why they invented FLATBED plotters?!)

Overall reminds me of "Monster Garage" :Big Laugh
Sure you can make a little hatchback into a jet-engined speedster,
but it won't be doing it for too long - barely even till end of the show.

the only one that I have seen in action simply worked as a scribe, in essence the plotter is simply cutting as normal not pouncing as mentioned in one of the previous replies. I am not sure what the additional wear and tear would do to your machine...my concern would be quality

Techman

All the speculating about the wear factor abuse etc. Not true.

Ive used the engraving on my cutter. Many times in fact. The Anagraph ran it just fine. After all the cutter is a well made machine designed to work as described. The plotter came with a pounce kit that I never used for pouncing. Only used it for engraving. Cut thousands of feet of vinyl through it. And dozens of feet of engraving. It still runs great. I got this cutter in 1998 or so if I remember right.

There is NO hard pounding on the Metal. In fact the metal is actually soft aluminum or brass. All it does is make lines. It does not remove metal.
I used it to scribe dozens of polycarb panels as well. Its not a big deal. leave the liner on the uncut side while making the piece.
Next, It doesn't hit any harder than when the cutter engages vinyl. Slow down the speed to a reasonable amount. No need to fling the substrate.
And it uses about the same pressures used to cut vinyl. Vinyl setting is around 100 And metal was around 130. Polycarb was the same as vinyl.
It is used to make tags on trophies etc. I did make one panel using .040 aluminum full size with an Asian image. You just have to use some imagination to set up a platform if you feel it needs some extra assistance.

I also took the cut head of a dead 30" anagraph and converted it to use on my cnc. The head uses an electric solenoid to lower the cutter. It does not slam down as if it is driving a nail. In fact when engaged one can lift the blade holder with one finger.

Would I try this on a cheap Chinese cutter? Sure why not. The cheaper the better.